• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I guess that I don't see what you are trying to acomplish, why would you want to parade around showing your gun?

Isn't a large part of CC to use the element of surprise to get the drop on the bad guy?

The left is always looking for ways to make us look like crazy people that are gun nuts, my :twocents:

Repair,

These are legitimate questions, and while it's easy to tell you "go look at this or that thread" where the horse may have been beaten, I'll address them AND suggest you look around the site for OC vs CC arguments. ;)

Why parade around showing one's gun? Why parade around exercising the 1A rights of peaceable assembly, speech, and petitioning of government for redress of grievance? The point is that it is a right to bear arms, and if that right is not exercised, it is effectively lost. For example, our own Kirk Freeman was in Broad Ripple a month or so ago, on his way to a range to shoot. An IMPD officer didn't like the fact that his 1911 was on his hip, in plain sight, and gave him a serious case of the red-ass over it, including screaming in his face, etc., and in disarming him, pointed his (Kirk's) own gun at Kirk's leg, understandably causing him some distress. Kirk was doing nothing wrong, nothing illegal, immoral, or unethical, just exercising his rights, and not solely for the purpose of that exercise, but because he was enroute to a shooting activity. That officer was wrong, but if he ever admits that, I have little doubt that it will be only because he was ordered to do so and wants to keep his job.
    It's about education and familiarity. I carry a knife with about a 3.5" blade in my pocket most of the time. People are accustomed to seeing other people with knives in their pockets, so no one gives that a second thought, though I do get the :eek: eyes when I draw and open it to use it for something. People are NOT accustomed to seeing large or semi-large knives open in other people's hands. If, however, people become more accustomed to seeing an openly-carried firearm, safely holstered on another citizen's belt, it will be less frightening to them to see it, and we'll get fewer "man-with-gun" (MWG) calls when we do it.
    You're correct that a big part of concealed carry is the element of surprise. Conversely, a big part of open carry is deterrence. There is the running argument that having that pistol where it can be seen makes the carrier the first target, and while that argument has merit IMHO, I am NOT getting into it here. I merely present it as one factor in this discussion.

You're correct that the Left is forever trying to paint us as crazy nutjobs. How better to dispel that image than to have a group of seven or so nicely dressed men and women show up at a restaurant for a meal, come in and politely wait for a table, sit, order, eat, pay, and leave, (possibly leaving a larger-than-average tip for the server?)

Now.... all that said, I personally choose not to open carry. Speaking for myself, concealed is what I prefer, but if at some point in the future, I have reason to choose to OC, I don't want to be branded a criminal solely because I have an openly-displayed handgun without a badge next to it.

Now... having read this post, you have a reader's digest version of the debate. My recommendation at this point is to search this BB for more info. I'll be happy to continue this with you via PM, if you prefer to do that also.

Blessings,
    B

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    :+1:Bill of Rights

I don't try to start arguments, when I ask a question always know that I'm really looking for an answer so that I can understand the what, when, where, how and why people do what they do.

I'm a better person because of the small amount of time that I have spent here.

I had never heard of or even thought of a group of people that would get together to OC.

Billofrights said " The point is that it is a right to bear arms, and if that right is not exercised, it is effectively lost."

I had never thought of it that way before, I'm really gratefull to him for the time he spent writing his reply and I hope that it helps someone that is lurking.

I'm sorry if I have jacked the thread.

NWI40cal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Hammond
    Okay so for a nice range of people, I know I will drive about 45 mins to an hour from my house if we are going to flock around to a few places. I suppose I will call anywhere from the Republik borders to laporte or so west, or Demotte or so south. I want this one to have over 10 members hopefully. Even better, 3 tables with 4-6 people would be LOVELY. I also know a reporter that we can get out with us, if we want. (Hey, they did it in Idaho at a zoo and ended up getting national attention.)

As for march, we will call it by weather. I agree the general weather might be nicer, but I dont know if I would be able to make it Valo and I get married in april and march might be hectic with last minute planning.

OR we could have another one in march, we can do this as often as we want... right?

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    The more OC events the better. Let's have one in March and plan one now. I think one on 30 or above would be best for exposure. My area it really isn't an issue. Maybe a different restaurant? I think Chili's is anti 2a. Any thoughts? We could OC in Indy after the gun show.....

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Hey! No one told me there was going to be a parade involved. Do I get to ride in the back of a convertible and throw candy at people along the way?

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Or we could do a reverse parade where we all throw the candy at you...
    Anyone own a convertible?

I am about to cut the top off of my car because of a leaky sunroof...................Melensdad can attest to that. My fiance is sick of having a wet butt so it is time to fix it. I digress.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    No way am I coming if you guys are going whip candy at me. It's just a matter of time before you all start pelting me rocks and garbage, and then things will get ugly once the "group" turns into an angry mob.

If that happens, then I must respectfully demand that proper angry mob etiquette be observed at all times. Among other things, the rules mandate that pitchforks go with torches, whereas lanterns and shotguns are paired. There shall be no mixing and matching or the whole thing will be ruined.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    No way am I coming if you guys are going whip candy at me. It's just a matter of time before you all start pelting me rocks and garbage, and then things will get ugly once the "group" turns into an angry mob.

If that happens, then I must respectfully demand that proper angry mob etiquette be observed at all times. Among other things, the rules mandate that pitchforks go with torches, whereas lanterns and shotguns are paired. There shall be no mixing and matching or the whole thing will be ruined.

Good point as always, Rhino. Torches and shotguns? tres gauche! Well, unless we're using the Queen's English usage for the word "torch", that is. Then you can mount the "torch" on a tactical rail.

I am impressed, however, that someone else remembers, "They pelted us with rocks and garbage!" I was just telling a co-worker of that a few days ago. If it was almost anyone else quoting it, I'd be surprised and impressed. I've learned to never be surprised when you quote something, however.

:+1:

Blessings,
    Bill

NWI40cal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Hammond
    AWWWW come on Rhino! I promise not to WHIP candy at you,and I will aim for your mouth at least!

I can't remember where, I think it was here I saw it, For halloween, someones neighbors "went" as a reverse parade and threw the candy at the trick or treaters from the curb of the street.

iam1096

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    Ohio
    I want in too. Indy or up north is good for me. I just need a week or so advance so I can make it happen. If candy is involved I am in for sure. Iam sure one of my firearms needs the fresh air.

Top Bottom