• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reggywill

Plinker
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Indy (Westside)
    Just got a RIA 1911 on trade and am wondering what should I do to it first? I've heard I should get the ramp polished and things of that nature but I'm not sure where to have it done or what else I should do to improve the performance. Any ideas?

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Go learn the 1911 manual of arms first. Get used to the safeties. Shoot it until you become competent with it. As a modern 1911 it probably already has the basic reliability improvements that have become pretty standard over the years (like a ramped and throated barrel and a lowered ejection port). If it doesn't, those would be a good start.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Just got a RIA 1911 on trade and am wondering what should I do to it first? I've heard I should get the ramp polished and things of that nature but I'm not sure where to have it done or what else I should do to improve the performance. Any ideas?

Bask in your newfound superiority to Glock Owners. :rockwoot:

Have fun with it. Shoot every type of ammo you can and see I you need to do anything to it before you go throwing money at it. Then, decide whether you want to spend that money on a RIA or put it toward another 1911.

Wash, rinse, repeat. :)

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Why would you alter anything without finding out what it's originally like?
    Don't do anything to it until you shoot, shoot, and shoot some more.
    P.S.
    The act of shooting it actually polishes the feed ramp.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Bask in your newfound superiority to Glock Owners. :rockwoot:

Have fun with it. Shoot every type of ammo you can and see I you need to do anything to it before you go throwing money at it. Then, decide whether you want to spend that money on a RIA or put it toward another 1911.

Wash, rinse, repeat. :)

:n00b: I don't know about the first part but heck yes to the rest! :):

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Get some cheap recoil buffers to protect the internals

Bah.
    If a 1911 needed them, they'd come with them.
    Everything I've ever read about them says they are more trouble than they are worth.
    I ended up being given about 15 packs of them and pitched them.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Go to the local gun shop buy ammo, and then take it to the range. Dont worry about the other stuff till you find out how it functions. Congrats on the pistol, RIA makes a nice 1911.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My RIA needed nothing other than better mags when I got it. To be honest, it did not even need that. The ACT mag that came with it worked well, but since I was adding extra mags, I just switched to Wilson Combats and used the ACT mag for range work and reloading drills. The only think I did to it was add an extended thumb safety and Duracoat in in Magpul Dark Earth.

The RIA's can be pretty well equipped as bought. The best thing that can be done to almost any pistol is to shoot it.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Shoot it - shoot it - shoot it and then shoot it sum more - figure out then what upgrades would benefit you - how do you know if it even needs upgraded if you haven't shot it? Save your $ and go have some fun first :shoot::shoot::shoot:

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    start saving up. get chip mcmcormick or wilson combat mags. probably around 10 will do. throw the factory mags away. shoot it. if it starts to act up, then wory about upgrads.

Vz grips, better sights, a 10-8 flat trigger, maybe. don't waste your money on a kimber. Decide what you want in a 1911, buy it from a reputable company. Dan wesson, Sprignfeild ( TRP or better), colt, or wilson.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    As said, shoot it and see that it works ok with your choice of carry ammo. Maybe upgrade the magazines; not necessary if the stock ones work fine.

The only thing I always do to all of my 1911's is install an eighteen or seventeen & one-half pound recoil spring. It sometimes reduces frame slap and felt recoil to a surprising degree; especially if you use full power ammo.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    Shoot it a lot, get use to it, then decide what you want or need on your pistol. If you decide you want many mods, it would probably be cheaper to just buy another pistol with all the things you want. You will want more than one 1911, trust me.

Dave

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    start saving up. get chip mcmcormick or wilson combat mags. probably around 10 will do. throw the factory mags away. shoot it. if it starts to act up, then wory about upgrads.

Vz grips, better sights, a 10-8 flat trigger, maybe. don't waste your money on a kimber. Decide what you want in a 1911, buy it from a reputable company. Dan wesson, Sprignfeild ( TRP or better), colt, or wilson.

Dont waste your money on a Kimber, lol... now thats funny! :laugh:

Top Bottom