• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    Just got a RIA 1911 on trade and am wondering what should I do to it first? I've heard I should get the ramp polished and things of that nature but I'm not sure where to have it done or what else I should do to improve the performance. Any ideas?

I shot mine then put houges on it extended slide release an a barrel bushing that's it

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    If you meant this; ...

It's skate tape... purchased for a couple bucks from a sporting goods store (Dunham's), but available just about anywhere. I've seen it in Home Depot and hardware stores that sell flooring products, as some people adhere it to steps and other walkways.
    And yes...it works. :)

Thanks JG. I didn't realize the tread tape at Menard's was the same thing as skateboard tape. I just picked up a roll and did the front strap of the RIA. That stuff is fantastic. It's almost like attaching the gun to your hand with Velcro. I can see where you have to be careful with this stuff as it can make it too grippy if you go wild with the tape.

Now, I need to see how well it does with a coat of Duracoat on it.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Thanks JG. I didn't realize the tread tape at Menard's was the same thing as skateboard tape. I just picked up a roll and did the front strap of the RIA. That stuff is fantastic. It's almost like attaching the gun to your hand with Velcro. I can see where you have to be careful with this stuff as it can make it too grippy if you go wild with the tape.

Now, I need to see how well it does with a coat of Duracoat on it.

I would duracoat it then apply the tape

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I will hold off on mods since I have not even shot mine yet. But this winter, if I have shot enough rounds and have checked out other folks 1911's, I will probably tinker with it. I usually work on my car during the winter, but I really don't have much to do to it, unless I decide to paint it. So I will have the itch to do something when the weather is too nasty to go outside.

My pistol is SS, not my favorite, so I will look at ceracoat/duracoat options, and also mods to have it fit better (grips, mainspring housings, etc.).

Is it really difficult to de-horn a 1911? I am a pretty good metal worker, but I am far from a gunsmith!:)

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Huh. Interesting!

I became curious and did some reading on the internet about the checkered front strap mod. Mixed reviews but people either loved them or hated them. For an average price of $10 if you wanted to try it I would see no harm. I didn't see any comments about them causing damage, but most people put some kind of tape between the front strap mod and the frame of the gun. Certainly a inexpensive mod for someone on a budget.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I think this is what he is making reference to:

1911 AUTO CHECKERED FRONT STRAP - Brownells

I'll have to give that a try on my stainless gun. Here are the results of a duracoated bit of skateboard tape:
    Rock-Island-Compact-1911-with-grip-tape.jpg

We'll have to see if the Duracoat degrades the tape at all. If so, I'll just try something else.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Skateboard Griptape - Colored, Black, Clear, Mob, Shortys Black Magic, Jessup and More..

Try looking into actual skateboard tape, its not quite as aggressive as the stuff you find at hardware stores meant for step treads, and because kids are so style conscious, its available in several different colors (even clear). The stuff meant for floors usually has a bit thicker backing to it too, as does the basically generic grip tape found in most general purpose sporting goods stores.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Sorry. I am not forum savvy enough to post a link...or a picture.:(

Seriously? Aw, n00b. :( Look,... just put your cursor/pointer up in the web address box of the page you want to share. Highlight it. While it's highlighted, right click your mouse on it and choose "copy".
    Then come here and type your post...when you want to drop your link, right click where you're typing and this time choose "paste".
    That's all. (Well, except for "submit reply" ;) )

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Seriously? Aw, n00b. :( Look,... just put your cursor/pointer up in the web address box of the page you want to share. Highlight it. While it's highlighted, right click your mouse on it and choose "copy".
    Then come here and type your post...when you want to drop your link, right click where you're typing and this time choose "paste".
    That's all. (Well, except for "submit reply" ;) )

Like this? Just got my first 1911, now what? - Page 6 - INGunOwners

Top Bottom