Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    And after (or at least how it is to far):
    Rock-Island-Compact-1911.jpg

Only things left are a set of VZ grips and some grip tape on the front strap. I'd love to find some in brown, but might try Duracoating a bit of skateboard tape before applying it.

Very nice! What's wrong with the black grips you have on it now?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Not sure which thread to post this or if I should start a new one. You know, Jetgirl, me being a noob and all that.:)

Anyway I went out today at lunch and shot my new SA Champion. I either have to:
    A. smooth out the thumb safety somehow
    B. replace it with something smoother or
    C. toughen up my thumb!

Any thoughts?

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Not sure which thread to post this or if I should start a new one. You know, Jetgirl, me being a noob and all that.:)

Anyway I went out today at lunch and shot my new SA Champion. I either have to:
    A. smooth out the thumb safety somehow
    B. replace it with something smoother or
    C. toughen up my thumb!

Any thoughts?

Could take your frame apart and use sand paper(a file if you are good) and get rid of the rough edges. If you are near Columbus, I could help you if you like.

Edit: you way up north, if I were heading up that way, I'd still help you...

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Could take your frame apart and use sand paper(a file if you are good) and get rid of the rough edges. If you are near Columbus, I could help you if you like.

Edit: you way up north, if I were heading up that way, I'd still help you...

Well, once again, I'll take you up on it when we can get our schedules together. I get to Indy sometimes. We might be able to meet in Greenwood or somewhere close.

Or if I come to Columbus for an autocross event at the airport, I could combine it with a visit.

It's the part your thumb rests on while firing that is rough. I thought about seeing if I could take a sharpening stone to it to smooth it some or a very fine file. Actually the whole gun is kinda sharp. I wouldn't mind de-horning it. Or maybe even a "melt" job at some point.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If the mags work, why would you want to buy new ones? I know that Wilson magazines have a great reputation, but they also have a price tag to match. I have found over the years that Colt and Metalform 1911 magazines are very reliable and durable and don't cost much. I like to have a good trigger action on my guns, so I usually get a good trigger job. If you don't like the sights, then they need replacing. I many times change out grips. I like extended safeties and slide releases on 1911's.

By the time you're done, with the mods, you'll have many of the things that come stock on a Springfield Armory "Loaded", which I think is a better value than a Kimber...wait, I need to put my turnout gear on and prepare for the flames.:):

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    By the time you're done, with the mods, you'll have many of the things that come stock on a Springfield Armory "Loaded", which I think is a better value than a Kimber...wait, I need to put my turnout gear on and prepare for the flames.:):

No flames from me! I just bought a SA "Loaded" after I couldn't find the right model Kimber I wanted. Sorry Kimber...

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Well, once again, I'll take you up on it when we can get our schedules together. I get to Indy sometimes. We might be able to meet in Greenwood or somewhere close.

Or if I come to Columbus for an autocross event at the airport, I could combine it with a visit.

It's the part your thumb rests on while firing that is rough. I thought about seeing if I could take a sharpening stone to it to smooth it some or a very fine file. Actually the whole gun is kinda sharp. I wouldn't mind de-horning it. Or maybe even a "melt" job at some point.

Sure, I'll pm you with my number...

No flames from me! I just bought a SA "Loaded" after I couldn't find the right model Kimber I wanted. Sorry Kimber...

So I'm not alone then...one of the reason why I didn't get a SA loaded was because of the rough thumb safety...

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    That's sharp! Did you finish that yourself?

Thanks, I did. It's Duracoat in Magpul Dark Earth. I've done several so far and find Duracoat to be pretty durable. The only place where I've seen wear is on a CZ 75 that I did completely in the same color. The barrel was painted to match the frame and there is a bit of wear around the locking lugs.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    There is something I probably should change right away. For those of you that are using reading glasses but can see fine otherwise. Do you have a sight you recommend? I have a hard time lining up the front sight with the target. I can't see the Novak night sight very well.

New sights? Paint the sight with a white dot? What works well? I don't care about glowing sights for low light situations. I don't plan on using it under those conditions. Thanks.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    No flames from me! I just bought a SA "Loaded"

Me too, if 'just' means a couple or three months ago.
    For what it is worth the stupid full length guide rod started to come unscrewed last time I shot it. Hate to tighten it too much as I've got the stanless steel version and stainless steel screwed connections are notorious for galling and such. Besides that I'm happy with the gun.

To the OP. I like a Dawson Precision fiber optic front sight and the rear maybe just left alone for a range/competition gun ($40 and you can do it yourself if you are a little bit handy). For a carry/self defense gun I don't worry about the sights so much except to have something rugged.
    My other typical mods are adding clean looking magwell, to me it helps with grip as well as reloads and looks cool. Also if you are not happy with the feel of the trigger and can find a good local gunsmith that doesn't charge too much that is a nice thing to get right. Oh, and the skateboard tape discussed elsewhere asnd heretofore.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    For what it is worth the stupid full length guide rod started to come unscrewed last time I shot it. Hate to tighten it too much as I've got the stanless steel version and stainless steel screwed connections are notorious for galling and such. Besides that I'm happy with the gun.

To the OP. I like a Dawson Precision fiber optic front sight and the rear maybe just left alone for a range/competition gun ($40 and you can do it yourself if you are a little bit handy). For a carry/self defense gun I don't worry about the sights so much except to have something rugged..

I got mine last week. 52 rounds through it so far. Gonna finish out the box of 100 on my lunch hour today. Mine is also SS. Does that fiber optic front sight show up well in daylight conditions? I need to do something.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany

I bought my SA "Loaded" used and someone had replace the full length guide rod with a standard one. If they hadn't, I would have.

Top Bottom