• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I recently purchased a Compact Stainless II and its probably my favorite 1911 that Ive ever owned. I put 200 rnds threw it yesturday and it was totally reliable and unbelievably accurate for an officer sized gun. I was able to ring my 75yd gong pretty regularly, about 3 or 4 out of a 7 rnd mag and the others were really close. Id say go for it you will be happy you did.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    I prefer Gen I pistols.. :)But that would have to be a used one.

Another fan of the pre series II guns. Though I think you'll find the Super Carry line doesn't have the safety they added to the series II guns.

if you get one that needs the little take down wire, get lots of extras..

I thought you had to buy another gun to get one!!

picture.php

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Pre-series II guns are preferred. In addition to eliminating the potential reliability problems arising just from the firing pin block parts, the older guns tend to be more reliable overall (in my experience).

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    if you get one that needs the little take down wire, get lots of extras..

Or just use a paperclip.

I have one Kimber CDP II Pro and if I take it apart and put it back together and turn the guide rod 180, it jams. Not sure why, but if I turn the guide rod back 180, it works flawlessly.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I have the Raptor from the custom shop. The chain link pattern on the slide and the scaled grips really feel great in your hand.

If you intend to shoot it a lot buy a few Wolf replacement recoil springs.

The take down wire isn't as bad as some might say.

Finest handgun I have ever owned.

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    ok all my father in law has one and it needs the take down wire. me and him spent an hour with and still have no idea how to take it apart. as bad as i feel about looking at it for an hour and not figuring it out. he has had it for years and has never taken the barrel out. please some explain how.

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    Lock the slide back and insert the wire tool in the small hole along the length of the guide rod, while gripping the slide release the slide lock and ease the slide forward until the wire stops it when it contacts the guide rod bushing, remove the slide lock and push the slide assembly forward, everything after that is like any other 1911. If you don't have the wire tool a bent paper clip works just fine.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I have owned 3 Kimbers, 2 are series II and 1 was a pre-series II and all three have worked great for me. The only reason I don't still own the pre-series II is I got tired of listening to a buddy whine about wanting to buy it from me so i gave in :):. My favorite has been the Kimber TLE Custom II (its based on the gun that Kimber builds for and is issued to the LAPD SWAT team).

NewKImber006.jpg

Here is a pic of the family before the one was adopted by another family

NewestKimber005.jpg

and now a pic of just the two that are left

NewKImber008.jpg

They miss their brother :(

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Just buy a Kimber 1911 and don't worry about it.
    I've got a couple of 1st generations and two 2nd generations and have never had an issue with them. NOT ONE failure of any type. All have over 5K round counts and all original.
    I kept waiting for a FTE or FTF out of one but I can't tell a difference in the way they fire today as the day any of them came out of the box.
    Accuracy is unreal for an out of the box gun.

Mech45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    NWI
    I have had three Kimbers, two Super Matches and a Gold Combat. One SM had the internal extractor and one had the external extractor, I never had problems with either one but I have heard of people having problems with the external extractors. All three guns were very accurate and reliable but I prefer the STI's that I have now, Sentinel Premier.

Chris

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Not really much as far as tips, etc. The one I'd give someone else mentioned and that is to replace the recoil springs BEFORE issues begin (if they do). I have replaced mine at the recommended intervals and have never had an issue. Not sure if this is due to the recoil spring replacement or if the guns are just good or if I have just been lucky. Never a hiccup out of any of the Kimbers I have.

Here is my favorite, Ultra Carry Stainless - Series I

Photo%20Jan%2022%2C%207%2017%2030%20PM%20%285%29.jpg

Top Bottom