• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jotto

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    NW Indiana
    I have a Pro Covert II and a Solo CDP. Really like them both. No issues with either.

The Solo is however snappy as hell in your hand when firing.

dwp9mm

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Greensburg
    I have a Crimson Carry Pro and a Raptor II and they are great guns.
    downsized_0128122055a.jpg

OiRadio47

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Mishawaka
    Looking at a Kimber Ultra Carry II. Im not a 1911 guy, and dont know much about them. Just have read a little that some 1911's need some work right out of the box. Would this be a decent gun out of the box, or does it need something? I see people say the 3" 1911's arent reliable. I really want to give a 1911 a try, but dont want to buy a new gun with problems. Especially a gun i might carry dailey.

Oldbird13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    Hamilton County,IN
    Any thoughts/experience with the aftermarket take down tools by KDZ?. I have seen several videos and they seem like a good fix but you must replace the factory guide rod with theirs.

OiRadio47

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Mishawaka
    Looking at a Kimber Ultra Carry II. Im not a 1911 guy, and dont know much about them. Just have read a little that some 1911's need some work right out of the box. Would this be a decent gun out of the box, or does it need something? I see people say the 3" 1911's arent reliable. I really want to give a 1911 a try, but dont want to buy a new gun with problems. Especially a gun i might carry dailey.

Anyone? Anyone?

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Kimber 1911

I have a ss Pro Raptor. Finest handgun I ever owned.

Most out of the box 1911 (GI based) don't require any modifications to be reliable with hardball. The mods you may be hearing about are for increased accuracy and the use of hollow points or wad cutter ammo. Saying that Kimbers aren't reliable is bs from some couch jockey who hasn't owned one or is basing their opinion on a sample of 1.

I've owned 2 Kimber ss pro models and they have both performed flawlessly When one of the night sights quit glowing and the weapon was out of warranty, Kimber fixed it free and it was 11 days from door to door to get my baby back.

picture.php

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down

For a first gun, I would start with a 5" steel frame. Current manufacture 1911s may have a 200-300 round break in period due to tight tolerances on frame-slide fit. I would recommend putting 500 rounds through anything you buy before you carry it. In the 70's/early 80's, you may have had to send a new 1911 to be gone through, but not anymore. People who don't care for the 1911 will still bring this up. And a lot of people who bag on the 1911 have never actually owned one and just regurgitate what they read online to sound knowledgeable.

But as with anything mass produced, there are people who have had negative experience with some manufacturers.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    go to elmore's in greenwood...I just purchased a series 1 tactical warrior, no take down wire needed(as far as I know, I've taken mine apart without such wire).

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County

Get a Colt, they make them to work in any variable. I like the Kimbers too and I may still get my first 4" 1911. I like the lightweight of the one I held, and the looks I'm not gonna lie. I think you would be fine with the Kimber though, they're nice!

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    My stainless II had issues with locking open with rounds still in the magazine.

May need to tame down the loads, but I did notice on the back of the slide release it had what appears to be a skipped machining operation. The slide release was tight up against the slide most of the time.

I took a diamond file and some polish to the back of it. Redid it all down to one even surface and now it seems as though the slide release works the same as the rest of the releases I have laying around. Need to get out to the range and see though.

Then again, 16pound factory spring may be the issue here. Not used to running any gun that lightly sprung.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My Kimber Ultra has been very reliable. I can honestly say I have no memory of a failure of any type in the 700 plus rounds I've put through it once I ditched the factory mag.

jl-scott

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Well, I got it! :) A black Custom II with Walnut grips. I shot 50 rounds thru it and MAN! it is a sweet gun. I have never shot a 1911 before and now I know why everybody loves them. It came with very plain (no dots) sights, so I sent it into Kimber for night sights. While the slide was at Kimber for the sights, I order and put on a set of Rosewood grips. It looks a lot like wtfd661's in this thread. Got it back this week, so I put another 100 rounds thru it. I am so happy with the way this thing shoots, I'm thinking of ditching my LC9 carry and replace with a maybe a Ultra CDP II or something along those lines. I have a couple of questions for you 1911 types out there. 1) The one 7-round magazine fits flush with the base of the handle, will a 8-round magazine fit flush, or stick out a little? 2) Will a 10-round magazine change the balance much when fully loaded? Thanks everybody for the great input!

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have a CDP II PRO and Ultra in 45acp and a Target II Stainless in .38 Super. I love em and think they are fine pistols. I use a paperclip to take mine apart.;)

Top Bottom