Kut's Trump Approval Thread #1 (Starts Out at 100%)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Again, it's completely irrelevant to anything at all... just a cheap argument for the Left to try and make, but I'm willing to guess Obama's inauguration was absolutely larger.

However, the photo everyone is talking about was before the prime-time. I've seen another, much-fuller photo from Trump's.

But, talking about it is what they want. Spicer was probably wrong to say it was "the largest", but he's doing what he's told. He's saying what the media wants to hear, and now they're going to be talking about that instead of anything important. I'm very interested to see how far the media is willing to be guided and led from the real news into talking about inconsequential stuff like this.

This is pretty much it. It doesn't reveal anything meaningful. It's soley for the purpose of "neener neener, our guy is better than yours".

ETA: The press went with this early and often. I initially watched the leadup to the inauguration streaming from CBSN, because that stream happened to be most reliable over my connection. Later when I had a TV available, I switched to a Fox affiliate. But CBS dropped some mentions throughout their broadcast. I was like. Wow. I know that they have to fill in airtime, and usually it's with meaningless drivel, but that's kinda petty. And given that it became such a common theme, it seems like someone got the memo.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    As of now I'd say it's a wash. Would have been a +1 if Spicer hadn't stated Trump's inauguration was the most heavily attended without actually having the official attendance estimates. Fake rebuttals isn't any better than fake news.

Now, if we find out that Spicer was correct, I'll bump that to a +1.

If there's one thing I think I've learned from this election cycle, is that you can't assume Trump is being literal when he (or his mouth piece) says hyperbolic things like that. It's a mannerism or rhetorical style. The part that's new and the part I'm not sure about is how he's rocking the press back on their heels. I like it in the short run but time will tell if it'll continue to be effective for 4 or 8 more years. I was one of those that thought it would sink him 6-8 months ago and I was wrong. Maybe he's on to something here.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If there's one thing I think I've learned from this election cycle, is that you can't assume Trump is being literal when he (or his mouth piece) says hyperbolic things like that. It's a mannerism or rhetorical style. The part that's new and the part I'm not sure about is how he's rocking the press back on their heels. I like it in the short run but time will tell if it'll continue to be effective for 4 or 8 more years. I was one of those that thought it would sink him 6-8 months ago and I was wrong. Maybe he's on to something here.

What makes Trump's pushback against the press work is the belief his supporters have in him. The only way that stops working, at least in my estimation, is if Trump's favorable image gets tarnished with his supporters somehow. Nonperformance is the only way I see that happening. And if the press no longer matters, at least to the supporters, probably he could get away with nonperformance for a long time.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I can not give him 100% because only Jesus gets that.

When we actually had rep I could give +6 (I know I'm A noob compared to you) I usually gave the full +6 when I repped you. I think I only Neg repped once.

From here on out I will Rep Trump when he does something.

I will keep a running score.

So far he is +5 for his Inaugural speech, +6 for his first EO (wish I could give him the one I didn't give for the speech)

Total= +11 -0

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    What makes Trump's pushback against the press work is the belief his supporters have in him. The only way that stops working, at least in my estimation, is if Trump's favorable image gets tarnished with his supporters somehow. Nonperformance is the only way I see that happening. And if the press no longer matters, at least to the supporters, probably he could get away with nonperformance for a long time.

Sure. What'll be interesting is when he actually does something against which his supporters hold as touchstones. As an example, we now understand that when I was taking Trump literally and he promised to build a Yuuuge wall along the border, his supporters took him seriously and (unlike me) not literally. So, if he were to sign amnesty and automatic citizenship, would those supporters start falling away? That's not so much non-performance as it would be betrayal and I think that's what would do it with his apologists.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    This thread is invalid without a comparison to the immediate past.

Obummer all but handed this country over to the Mideast terrorist, whatever acronym they are using today, and the Chinese. Some think that Obummer and HRC can do/did no wrong and Trump will never do right.

Yes, Trump has done some awkward things media wise, but his heart is truly 100% American.

How well do you know Johnny Depp?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I can not give him 100% because only Jesus gets that.

When we actually had rep I could give +6 (I know I'm A noob compared to you) I usually gave the full +6 when I repped you. I think I only Neg repped once.

From here on out I will Rep Trump when he does something.

I will keep a running score.

So far he is +5 for his Inaugural speech, +6 for his first EO (wish I could give him the one I didn't give for the speech)

Total= +11 -0

Sounds like we have pretty much the same operating principle. I kinda used rep much like it is now, except it was worth something. I gave +10 or nothing. I don't recall ever neg-repping anyone, but I'm not going to swear that I haven't.

Our scale is obviously different. Mine just goes up to 10 for a given item. I've got Trump at +5 overall. I've repped him 1 for the speech. I count for direction and impact magnitude. Speech was overall in a positive direction, but not all that impacting. So only +1. I repped him the rest for his EO's on Obamacare and freezing regulations. Those are more impacting, but only a start for what needs to be done.

If he doesn't close the deal on divesting himself from his businesses in the next few days, I'm going to start neg-repping him for it. He's president now. He said he'd do it. I expect him to do what he said.

Sure. What'll be interesting is when he actually does something against which his supporters hold as touchstones. As an example, we now understand that when I was taking Trump literally and he promised to build a Yuuuge wall along the border, his supporters took him seriously and (unlike me) not literally. So, if he were to sign amnesty and automatic citizenship, would those supporters start falling away? That's not so much non-performance as it would be betrayal and I think that's what would do it with his apologists.

I think we're kinda saying the same thing. That's exactly the kind of scenario I was thinking of.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The more important thing about the tirade was the "fake news" being bandied about that they had removed the bust of Dr. King from the Oval Office. That spread like wildfire until they made a point to call the reporter out on it and provided a picture.

Trump Calls Out Time For Saying He Removed MLK Bust | The Daily Caller

I'll give Trump a +1 for that. It's really a -10 for Zeke Miller for assuming that because he couldn't see it, Trump had pulled an "Obama" and 86'd it. But I do like that Trump answers false reports. For years conventional wisdom said it's better not to answer false reports because it gives them credence. I have always thought if you let it go, people start believing the false reports.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    If you look up 'Oval Office' on Wikipedia, it lists some of the decorations and artwork Presidents have used during their terms. The only thing they have listed for Trump at the moment is the Resolute Desk and the Churchill bust.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'll give him a point for that when I can confirm he actually did it. But not 10.

I posted a picture of him signing the EO, the Churchill was there.

It's not worth a lot of "approval points"... but I'm sure some here will find any excuse to inflate their love of him.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I'll give him a point for that when I can confirm he actually did it. But not 10.

If you watch closely it is on the table at his right the guy next to MP gets in front of it most of the time.

[video=youtube;kE8ALSRP4xg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE8ALSRP4xg[/video]

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I posted a picture of him signing the EO, the Churchill was there.

It's not worth a lot of "approval points"... but I'm sure some here will find any excuse to inflate their love of him.
    I am being very consistent here, I pitched a royal fit when Obama took it out and am extremely pleased that he had it moved back in as one of his first actions.

You are at the very least not pro trump so you seem to look down on anyone who is.

Your opinion is worth no more nor less than anyone else's. Please belay the continual put downs.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Okay. About consistency.

I don't think it's being inconsistent. But if everything is a top score, how do you differentiate between more and less important things? How does putting the Bust of Churchill back compare with sighning the repeal of Obamacare? As much as I respect the sentiment and symbolism that restoring its place represents, they're not equal in magnitude. Repealing the NFA would be a +10 for me. Nominating a solid SCOTUS choice would be a +10. Failing to divest from his companies is a -2 per week until he does what he said he'd do. Nominating his sister, unlikely as it is, would be a -10.

Top Bottom