• ...and so much more!
  • calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Sure.....a likely excuse!
    I do not think this is a good idea. I think I would have to pass on this drill.
    I remember while taking a class here locally, the trainer was telling us about an event like this taking place at different training facility. When one of the guys in the class went home and showed his spouse what he learned in class he did not empty the gun of ammo and shot her.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I've sat out on exercises when I felt a class was getting over my head before, so I'd have no problem saying no again when a knucklehead trainer insisted on having someone point a real gun with me.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'll say it. I don't care.

Anyone that agrees with pointing a gun, loaded or not, at another person in a training environment, has NO business with a gun in the first place. There is something mentally wrong with that person, and needs psychological help.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

Anyone that agrees with pointing a gun, loaded or not, at another person in a training environment, has NO business with a gun in the first place. There is something mentally wrong with that person, and needs psychological help.

What?! Are you some kind of wussy or something?! Real men can handle it.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'll jump on the bandwagon....

Airsoft? Sure
    Simunition? Maybe
    Drop the mag on my carry gun and dry fire at ya'? Nope.
    Let some random stranger in a training class drop the mag on THEIR gun and fire at ME? All kinds of nope.

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    Just wondering if the instructor(s), upon retrospect, decided that this "drill" was not such a good idea after all or do they still think(and will probably defend) this drill has teachable merit? Again, just wondering.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    The training industry strikes again. No mention of who did this, only that it happened.

They went on to say, "Be careful who you train with. Research, compare resumes, and choose wisely." Looks like they were duped, but won't tell anyone so no one else gets duped.

It said they shot 1200 rounds. I am sure people came away with the, "Wow, what a great class. I've never shot that much."

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

Any recommendations? I have insurance. :):

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The group shown in the photo are not the only people who do this as a training exercise (i.e. point and/or dryfire real guns at real people).

I've read or hear pretty much every justification for doing it and some believe there is a compelling need for it. I kept an open mind (at least initially), but in my assessment, no one has yet to provide even a single reason or benefit that is adequate justification for it. In most cases, the benefits are tenuous at best. I think the risks outweigh the alleged potential benefits. I know that for anyone who is my student as well as for me, there is no good reason for it, and many against it.

At risk of repeating myself: I won't do it. I won't be present if someone else is doing it. None of my students will do it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I have to admit, we kinda-sorta did that in the Army...usually with MILES gear and blank adapters in place. there was, however, strict ammunition control, but nothing is perfect.

Top Bottom