Man commits suicide at Highsmiths gun shop in Greenfield this morning.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Yeah, I won't call the guy names but I understand why many will. Sad situation all around, can't imagine reaching a point in my life where this seemed like the only alternative, but it really sucks that he involved so many others who were just going about their day.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I don't agree with suicide, but shame on the people here casting judgement on a stranger and calling them names. In today's world that could very well be one of your kids or family one day...

Stick around Harry, you'll soon understand we don't think he's a dick because he offed himself. But because HE did it in a publc place, HE could have easily injured someone else, HE tramatized everyone who witnessed it, or works there. Leaveing the owners to clean up HIS mess, And heaven forbid possibly closeing the shop because of HIM

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I don't agree with suicide, but shame on the people here casting judgement on a stranger and calling them names. In today's world that could very well be one of your kids or family one day...

I'll pile on. Dead guy was indeed a dick. He took not only the easy way out instead of seeking help, but in the process he royally messed up total strangers' days/weeks/lives. Its one thing to mess with your own family by offing yourself in private. But to go screw up somebody else's life because you are too shortsighted to care? He deserves what is being said.

How would you feel about me if I broke into your home while you were at work, doused it in gasoline and lit it with me still in it as a way of committing suicide? Its quite a bit different than me doing it in my own home. You didnt need to be a part of my suicide, yet I still ruined at least a small part of your life.

You are welcome to disagree.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

If you want to off yourself, that's one thing. Making it someone else's problem by turning their business into a crime scene and making strangers deal with your mess is another.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Get over it. Public suicide is a very big dick move. Also, if it were a family member of mine who did it then strangers calling him names on the internet would be the least of my problems.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Stick around Harry, you'll soon understand we don't think he's a dick because he offed himself. But because HE did it in a publc place, HE could have easily injured someone else, HE tramatized everyone who witnessed it, or works there. Leaveing the owners to clean up HIS mess, And heaven forbid possibly closeing the shop because of HIM

I'll pile on. Dead guy was indeed a dick. He took not only the easy way out instead of seeking help, but in the process he royally messed up total strangers' days/weeks/lives. Its one thing to mess with your own family by offing yourself in private. But to go screw up somebody else's life because you are too shortsighted to care? He deserves what is being said.

How would you feel about me if I broke into your home while you were at work, doused it in gasoline and lit it with me still in it as a way of committing suicide? Its quite a bit different than me doing it in my own home. You didnt need to be a part of my suicide, yet I still ruined at least a small part of your life.

If you want to off yourself, that's one thing. Making it someone else's problem by turning their business into a crime scene and making strangers deal with your mess is another.

Get over it. Public suicide is a very big dick move. Also, if it were a family member of mine who did it then strangers calling him names on the internet would be the least of my problems.

TOTAL dick move.

When they make a show of it, it's more about show than anything else. Dick.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Same thing happened at Applied Ballistics in Lafayette just last year I believe.
    Woman rented a gun and shot herself in the head in the range.

Thankfully, due to a determined business owner, and a consistent and loyal customer base, their rental case has an even better selection than a year ago.

I should take this opportunity to give a +1 for how Applied Ballistics handled the whole ordeal.
    They did a professional job before the event, and every day since.

Hope everyone that had to witness this tragedy is o.k. and I hope the shop doesn't suffer as a result.

We shoot at Applied as a group. The owner is friends with Birds Away. He is a very professional individual. The staff is on point. It is my absolute favorite indoor range.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I agree...he did not need to do it in a public place like that. This will affect those who witnessed it or are involved in the aftermath for the rest of their lives, not to mention shutting down this business until this is cleaned up, etc.

I know too many who have committed suicide and have been personally affected as have my kids when their dad decided he had no reason to live any longer. I've called him far worse than a dick for what he did to my family. We were divorced before he did it, but it still has impacted every one of us.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'm pretty sure that's what I said without your eloquence. He shed his problems onto others.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I don't know the person's situation, but I suspect there's a significant number of terminally I'll people who don't own guns (for one example). I'm frankly surprised this doesn't happen more often. We found a cancer-ridden man from the local nursing home face-down in the retention pond at my workplace one day. Drove himself there.

Inconsiderate? This kind of stuff, yes. But these people are not waking up in the morning with our hand of cards, either. People walk in front of semis. How do you think that driver feels? We can only hope the gun range doesn't become the method of choice.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

On a lighter note, your name is what he left on the wall. :joke:

Suicide is about the most selfish thing a person can do. Prayers for the people he couldn't be bothered to stick around for.

boilergonzo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Horrible. I live in Greenfield, and have a range membership and do business with them. My thoughts and prayers to all the good people at Highsmith Guns. The traumatic scene they had to witness and the issues they will have to deal with, both emotionally and technically, are both more than they should be exposed to.

Mental illness is a very sad and mysterious thing. My thoughts and prayers to the family and friends of the person who was unable to find a reason to live.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Looking at the positive side....At least he didn't decide to take more people with him.
    Medical look.... I wonder if he was on any prescription drugs with known side effects that might have had a role in the suicide.
    I'd love to see a follow up on the "particulars".
    Lots of negatives here. Anti gunners will be all over this. It will be the gun's fault. IF It wasn't for guns he'd still be alive. I can already hear the miscreant's dribble spewing from one of two identical holes.
    There may be family members or friends that will be devastated over this act.
    The range will suffer the consequences and distractions of everyday life.
    Visitors to the range didn't sign up for this crap.
    Name calling? Yea I did and meant it. I am not heartless but I'm not going to cut the corpse any slack over not giving a sh.. about anyone or anything else in this world.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013

Would I at least get a good video that includes audio ??
    I'm waffling on a decision, a video would be a game changer...

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    It sucks that the good folks at Highsmith have to be dragged into someone else's problems and mess like this. Well...I guess that means when they reopen I'll have to walk down there and spend some money...try and help them make up for their unfairly lost revenue.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Most indoor ranges where I come from will no longer rent a single person that doesn't have a firearm of their own with them a rental gun...unless they are a known customer.. Because of self inflicted shootings.

Top Bottom