Man commits suicide at Highsmiths gun shop in Greenfield this morning.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    I really like the place and the employees what a shame this is for all involved. I hope Highsmiths can get through this alright. I will support them any way I can. I like going to the range during lunch time had thought about going today. Guess I am glad I was busy so I didn't have to be affected by this selfish person.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Wanna blow your brains out? Fine, just don't make a show of it in public. Now your dead ass is further jeopardizing the gun rights of those you so selfishly left behind. Makes it hard to say "rest in peace", that's for sure.

BADWOLF

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 24, 2015
    Small Town USA
    Please i'd be the person sticking my head out the range door, look at the employee at the counter and say " cleanup Lane 9 "

Last edited:

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    That just sucks!
    What the hell could possibly have been going through his mind? :dunno:

9mm? .45 ACP?

DD, I've personally see the hot mess thought process that goes along with the decision to end ones life. The person that takes the decision to end their own life doesn't care about the consequences that their actions will have on others. For them life just isn't worth the effort to fight any longer, and when they commit to move on it becomes psychologically liberating for them. Then we who are left to clean up the mess will very likely see that person happier then they've been in a long time....stand by. That's when they get it done.

Oh and should they not get it accomplished on the first try the odds of them learning from their 'mistakes' usually makes the second attempt highly successful. Love, understanding, professional psychological intervention, medication, none of it is effective when they feel 'relief' and that the end of their 'unbearable torment' is just a few minutes away.

I don't want to know what led to this guys decision to 'liberate' himself from his perceived hell, but the one thing I can feel very confident in saying is that he was totally selfish, grossly inconsiderate of others, and a coward for knowingly, and deliberately doing what he did.

I pray for those who loved him and now must face life with questions that can never be answered.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Totally sympathy for his family and for the good folks at Highsmith's (just down the road from where I work), but it's such a shameful, selfish thing to afflict others with his problems.
    He could have at least mitigated the situation by taking a handful of pills or siting in his idling car in his garage with the overhead door down instead.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Bullets work quicker, maybe better.
    If the person didn't/couldn't own a gun.............cheap exit to rent one.
    Plus it doesn't damage the car or the house.

Dick move no matter how one looks at it.

Remember, wherever it happens............somebody has to clean up the mess.

Dunno what ServePro or similar charge.

Stainless steel revolver, outdoors...............if one is going to do it.

RND

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2014
    Westfield
    Stainless steel revolver, outdoors...............if one is going to do it.[/QUOTE]

what? No FDE GLOCK 19 with ZEV trigger, tritium sights, and extended slide release?
    Btw, what firearm and ammunition did Patrick rent?

deseag007

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    Lawrence (Indy)
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by OneHarryMess I don't agree with suicide, but shame on the people here casting judgement on a stranger and calling them names. In today's world that could very well be one of your kids or family one day....

On a lighter note, your name is what he left on the wall. :joke:

Suicide is about the most selfish thing a person can do. Prayers for the people he couldn't be bothered to stick around for.

I find this quite amusing ... A bit twisted but amusing.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    This same thing happened at what is now called Freedom firearms here in the Fort. Must have been about twenty years ago.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana

He went to the same University as I did.

My first job out of college was same as his first job out of college - same boss and everything.

Then, after I left that job, I went to work at the same company he went to, though on the Environmental side - not the Geotech side. But I was only there for a year. I did work with him a few times on some geotech stuff when I was there, though, due to my background. I only worked there a year, though, and was already gone by the summer of 2010 when he died.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    He went to the same University as I did.

My first job out of college was same as his first job out of college - same boss and everything.

Then, after I left that job, I went to work at the same company he went to, though on the Environmental side - not the Geotech side. But I was only there for a year. I did work with him a few times on some geotech stuff when I was there, though, due to my background. I only worked there a year, though, and was already gone by the summer of 2010 when he died.

I've been here since '09 in the construction materials department. He needed a technician to go to a site and take readings, so I got the nod. He seemed like a nice enough guy, never really had the chance to get to know him that well.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Suicide selfish?

Sure. But it's their life.

Some know when it's time to go, and if it fits their belief system, so be it.
    Taking years to whither in a bed, clueless to what's going on.................that's a nice way to burn resources and traumatize those who love them.

Sure some suicides are done out of poor judgement. Not all are.

It's gonna suck losing a loved one no matter how they exit.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Stainless steel revolver, outdoors...............if one is going to do it.

what? No FDE GLOCK 19 with ZEV trigger, tritium sights, and extended slide release?
    Btw, what firearm and ammunition did Patrick rent?[/QUOTE]

Revolvers are easier to take apart and clean.
    Blued guns and blood are not a good mix.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Many people die a natural death because they don't know what lies beyond or are uncomfortable within their belief system.

IMHO not all suicides are cowardly.
    Not cowardly, just extraordinary selfish and inconsiderate to those who care about the person, or even just those who have to witness and deal with it when someone doesn't even have the decency to do away from others.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I don't agree with suicide, but shame on the people here casting judgement on a stranger and calling them names. In today's world that could very well be one of your kids or family one day...

I understand depression in ways that no one ever wants to. I won't call names, but we have too little judgment in our society. I don't know what was going on in this man's life. Obviously, he was in severe pain. For that, I have the sympathy that only comes through experience. However, personal pain is no justification to make life hard on others and being deep in one's depression is no excuse for ignoring what your actions will do to others. I disfavor suicide and believe it is almost always objectively wrong (yes, I believe in objective morality). However, the issue in this case is ignoring the rights, thoughts, and feelings of others and going out and killing yourself in a way that hurts others. That was wrong. I have no qualms about making that judgment.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Even if you own the property, walk way back and blast your brains out under a big oak............even if you have said your goodbyes and have a note sent to authorities telling where the body will be................somebody has to deal with the mess.

The Good Old Gun Writers | Field & Stream

But then taking months or years to die, being bedridden.............crapping yourself and not knowing what solarsystem you're in.............that's a good kind of trauma for those who have to deal with the half dead.

And when they convert to full dead...............yeah, they turn to fairy dust. Nobody has to deal with that stinking ugly mess.

Top Bottom