• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock10MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    So I picked up a like new 17 RTF with gills today for $450, I thought it was a rarer version but it sounds like not so much? Did I just pay $450 for a Glock 17 and that's pretty much what it's worth?

Good find, at a good price. When the RTF2s were still in production, they were the same price if not cheaper. Since the RTF2 w/gills are out of production, some people think the can get more.

But, yes there wasn't as many produced so you do have a harder to find, out of production pistol.

I've seen people pay obscene amounts of $$$ for RTF2s. It seems people always want what they the can't have.

drewtitans

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    GEORGETOWN
    Thanks for the reply, it was an impulse buy when I saw it listed on a FB forum. Not looking for a 17 but saw the gills and immediately said I'll take it. I appreciate your time, it shall find a good home with me, I'm an excellent firearm foster father.

Additional question, the box says RTF only with no 2, is this a different variant or are they all RTF2? It doesn't list G either so I assume it's the same and just how Glock marked the box.

Drew

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I had an glock 19 rtf with gills but the sights were screwed up on it from some idiot so I got rid of it a long time ago. I really like the glocks with gills. If I see one sometime for a non retarded price I'll buy it. Glocks aren't collectible to me. They're just guns.

spoke78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Hancock County
    16] Glock 23 RTF2G

I have one of these. I liked when I first laid hands on it... Now I love it! I wish I could find a 19 rtf2 gills or no gills to match it. Only gave $489 brand new when I picked up the 23 rtf2g

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    Thanks for the reply, it was an impulse buy when I saw it listed on a FB forum. Not looking for a 17 but saw the gills and immediately said I'll take it. I appreciate your time, it shall find a good home with me, I'm an excellent firearm foster father.

Additional question, the box says RTF only with no 2, is this a different variant or are they all RTF2? It doesn't list G either so I assume it's the same and just how Glock marked the box.

Drew

Hmmm...I don't know what to tell you about the box markings, but this is what i do know about the RTF frames:

The RTF was developed for a more aggressive frame texture than what was on the Gen1 Glocks....basically a standard Gen2/Gen3 frame is a RTF.
    The RTF2 texture was developed in response for a request for a more aggressive frame texture for use in humid/wet environments...this is the frame people associate with the RTF line, the sandpaper-like grip.
    The RTF3 came out for the Gen4 Glocks, due to user complaints that the RTF2 frame texture was too rough...basically the standard Gen4 frame.
    After the release of the Gen4s, Glock discontinued the RTF2 frames for civilian sales.

drewtitans

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    GEORGETOWN
    Hmmm...I don't know what to tell you about the box markings, but this is what i do know about the RTF frames:

The RTF was developed for a more aggressive frame texture than what was on the Gen1 Glocks....basically a standard Gen2/Gen3 frame is a RTF.
    The RTF2 texture was developed in response for a request for a more aggressive frame texture for use in humid/wet environments...this is the frame people associate with the RTF line, the sandpaper-like grip.
    The RTF3 came out for the Gen4 Glocks, due to user complaints that the RTF2 frame texture was too rough...basically the standard Gen4 frame.
    After the release of the Gen4s, Glock discontinued the RTF2 frames for civilian sales.

I would then say RTF2 with gills. Manufacture date was 2010 and it is a gen 3 with the very aggressive raised bumps and rounds gills for the rear serations.

Thanks again. It will get shot, loved and feed an excellent diet.

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    I would then say RTF2 with gills. Manufacture date was 2010 and it is a gen 3 with the very aggressive raised bumps and rounds gills for the rear serations.

Thanks again. It will get shot, loved and feed an excellent diet.

I have its big brother, a Gen3 22 RTF2, and its raised the same way :thumbsup:

Every Glock i've held/fired hasnt come close to the feel of my RTF2...im sure you will grow to love it. Word of warning though: If you decide to carry it, WEAR A SHIRT BETWEEN THE GRIP AND YOUR SKIN...the frame feels great in my calloused hands, but will shred my delicate love handles :):

drewtitans

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    GEORGETOWN
    I have its big brother, a Gen3 22 RTF2, and its raised the same way :thumbsup:

Every Glock i've held/fired hasnt come close to the feel of my RTF2...im sure you will grow to love it. Word of warning though: If you decide to carry it, WEAR A SHIRT BETWEEN THE GRIP AND YOUR SKIN...the frame feels great in my calloused hands, but will shred my delicate love handles :):

There is a Gen3 22 RTF2 with Gills in Santa Claus IN right now for $450, they seem to be popping up left and right on FB...

And yes, advice will be taken. I can only imagine the grater like damage that would be done to my unexercised midsection if I did not where an undershirt.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    My 17 shows RTF2 on the box. The G is an unofficial thing people are doing to indicate the gills since not all of them have the gills. Imo these Rtf glocksare going to be highly sought after now that they are discontinued.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    The boxes that show either RTF or RTF2 are the same other than the 2 was added after a year. I'm going to get the rarest glock ever soon…the 20L RTF2! :D

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I never thought I would see the words Glock and Collectible used in the same sentance.
    I'm not a Glock hater by any means, I have a very nice Gen 3 31 that is my EDC. I have just always thought of Glocks as "work" guns, and nothing that one would collect.

Nice collection BTW OP

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    Lets all start showing off some of these Glocks.

From top to bottom, G21sf ambi safety and pictinny rail, next one is G21sf rtf2 and the last is a G17 RTF.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My old first generation G17 that I snagged used back in the 1990s was so collectible that I had the worst grip reduction in the history of Glock grip modifications done to it.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    I've never heard of that model. I thought the 23c rtf2 was the rarest.

Reason you have never heard of it is because I have to build it. :): 23c is the rarest of the RTF models I've found so far, other than the EXO RTF SUPPOSEDLY ordered by a texas police department and came from the factory that way. Have yet to see one matching numbers though.

Last edited:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    It always seemed to me that the "gill" serrations curve the wrong direction. If they curved the other way they would provide a more positive grip and help to 'center' your hand for best leverage when having to rack the slide in adverse conditions (rain, mud, blood, etc.). This is one of the reasons I LOVE the scalloping on the M&P's.

Top Bottom