My shield is bigger than yours! (A sad story)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Any more of the offending ammo, OP???

You need to contact the manufacturer ASAP...provided you can determine which one.

WallyJJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    WOW!!!!!! I wonder if a bullet is still in the barrel? Maybe slide a pencil or something down and see how far it goes??

I used a flashlight and looked down the barrel and could see through the original casing wall. No back of casing, no primer, no bullet. Can see right through to the end!

I had originally thought maybe the first round never left the barrel and the second one collided? No clue, couldn't find either on the ground.

WallyJJ

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I used a flashlight and looked down the barrel and could see through the original casing wall. No back of casing, no primer, no bullet. Can see right through to the end!

I had originally thought maybe the first round never left the barrel and the second one collided? No clue, couldn't find either on the ground.

WallyJJ

Wow, sounds like a massive overcharge.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Certainly a rare event, best part is no one was hurt other than your painful hand. I would never expect that on a Shield. I would imagine that S&W will make it right.

This is kind of a silly outlook to have imo. The odds of the gun being at fault are far lower than the odds of an overcharged round being put through the gun.

S&W is likely at no fault here. Fortunately though, I'd bet the frame is relatively cheap to replace.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County

WallyJJ

Oh, so the first shot may have been a squib, and left the bullet in the barrel, then when the second powder was ignited there would be extreme overpressure, as the slide goes back, releasing gasses into the open chamber, before blowing both bullets out the barrel.

WallyJJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    yes, or post pictures so someone here can try to identify it for you.

The offenders. My search online came up with Glaser by Corbon. Maybe there are more options out there like this too, I'm not sure. Has Corbon always owned Glaser? Did they used to (or still do) use Winchester casings? I know they aren't reloads. I only ever buy retail ammo. It's just been awhile that I have owned them and I have no box.

WallyJJ

Glaser? by WallyJJ, on Flickr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    The offenders. My search online came up with Glaser by Corbon. Maybe there are more options out there like this too, I'm not sure. Has Corbon always owned Glaser? Did they used to (or still do) use Winchester casings? I know they aren't reloads. I only ever buy retail ammo. It's just been awhile that I have owned them and I have no box.

WallyJJ

Glaser? by WallyJJ, on Flickr

Corbon is known for +P loads.. the ones in your photo look fishy.. set back or not crimped right... did you get them at a gun show?

WallyJJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    This is kind of a silly outlook to have imo. The odds of the gun being at fault are far lower than the odds of an overcharged round being put through the gun.

S&W is likely at no fault here. Fortunately though, I'd bet the frame is relatively cheap to replace.

I have no delusions that S&W is at fault or that they will do anything about it. Maybe they will tell me they think it was ammo related and help me to contact that group. No clue. If one of them offers to help replace it I would certainly take them up on it but I won't make any demands as I just don't know what happened. It would just suck if I have to replace it out of pocket, especially with the wait times to get one. Bummed.

WallyJJ

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Glaser safety slugs

Glaser Safety Slug at Dakota Ammo - COR®BON/Glaser Self Defense and Tactical Gear
    Glaser Safety Slug works exactly as it was designed to do over 30 years ago. The Safety Slug uses a copper jacket and it is filled with a compressed load of either #12 or # 6 lead shot. It is then capped with a round polymer ball that enhances feeding and reloading.

They are not high pressure loads. I would bet you had a squib then fired with the bullet still stuck in the barrel.

Black Cloud

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I agree those rounds look weird. Here are factory:

190659.jpg

WallyJJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Corbon is known for +P loads.. the ones in your photo look fishy.. set back or not crimped right... did you get them at a gun show?

I don't remember where they would have been purchased as it would have been several years ago. I only know that I don't buy reloads. I don't honestly remember ever buying ammo at a gun show. I don't like that ammo isn't sealed and you just can't guarantee what you are getting. I don't think I have ever bought ammo anywhere but a LGS or big box place.

WallyJJ

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    And the worst part is that it wasn't a Glock! :D

S&W customer service is the best. Once you get your gun back send them an email thanking them and tell them they did a good job. I did so and I got a free hat.

Yeah the hats were left over from the NRA convention in April 2012 when they had like 40,000 of them made up. The last day they were pushing them cause they didnt want to carry them back East. Think I got like six of them for guys at the range... No dis on the customer service tho. It was a nice touch and they do seem to back up their product...

Top Bottom