My shield is bigger than yours! (A sad story)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glocker 400

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Wow. You are lucky to not have been injured seriously! That's scary.

That's why I leave the Tupperware in the kitchen.

I know, right?

RevolverKaboom_zpsb1253051.jpg

NighthawkKaboom_zpsaa668f95.jpg

SigKaboom_zpsb4fdd8ce.jpg

1911Kaboom2_zps58f48b0d.jpg

1911Kaboom_zps84ff3840.jpg

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I am glad that you were not irrepairably injured, as a firearm can be replaced but fingers and eyes cannot without great expense if at all.

That is something that I am making a personal point of emphasis in my memory bank. We have two of the Smiths; both manuals note that +p can be used(higher pressures and frequent firing will lesson the life of the firearm and require more maintenance) and +p+ should never be used.

As a result, for the time being, we are using the Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP. I have not ventured into anything pushing the limits of the firearm.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Ouch Wally, dang................that sucks big time dead donkey d**k, I would be so hurt, (not to mention my hand(s) if my faithful Glock-23 sufferd the same fate. I too have had/shot Glasers before back in the day. I have 10 rds of magsafe .45 at home for when I get my last Glock (yea right) a 30s. Makes me wonder though. Glad your OK (main thing), and hope you at least salvaged the pins and sights.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    OP:

do you have access to any calipers to measure the overall length of the remaining cartridges?

You can then compare these numbers with what "they should be" to determine if any bullet setback has occurred.

Also - do you remember how this particular ammo was stored? Was there a bunch of stuff piled on top of it (If the ammo was standing upright in those little plastic trays, anyhow) - or was it loose in a baggie and all laying flat?

-J-

wild willy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Might make sense to wear some sort of a shooting glove at the range for protection....You never know

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Wow, you are really lucky. I am so sorry to hear that you hurt your new pistol. I am also so glad that your hand is still fully functional.

People think I am picky, but I never shoot any ammo that I do nor have confidence in. Major name factory or my own. When I worked at the range, there would be live ammo on the ground all the time. I never would shoot it. Sometimes I would take it apart and salvage the components, but I never trusted the unknown.

Even though I would not consider it in any way a problem where Smith & Wesson would be responsible, I would be interested in knowing if the pistol can be repaired or salvaged in any way.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I can't speak for what will happen to you, but S&W took good care of me when I had a similar issue. Long story short, 1st round was a squib and I ended up shooting the bullet lodged in the barrel OUT of the barrel. Thankfully the bullet was almost at the end of the barrel or it would have been worse.

Frame was fine but the slide was stuck fast. Barrel was ballooned out enough to completely prevent the slide from moving at all. Called Smith and told them what happened and I packed up the poor girl and send it back. I was fully prepared to pay for whatever damaged I'd caused...about 10 days later the gun shows back up with a new barrel, slide and guide rod free of charge.

I am a Glock guy but that really impressed me about Smith but more about the build quality of the M&P and how well it held together. Good luck, glad you are safe and let us know how it all works out for you.

WallyJJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    OP:

do you have access to any calipers to measure the overall length of the remaining cartridges?

You can then compare these numbers with what "they should be" to determine if any bullet setback has occurred.

Also - do you remember how this particular ammo was stored? Was there a bunch of stuff piled on top of it (If the ammo was standing upright in those little plastic trays, anyhow) - or was it loose in a baggie and all laying flat?

-J-

I do have a set of digital calipers that I can use to check any dimensions you want on the rounds I still have. Can you give me an idea of what to measure and what to compare it to?

WallyJJ

WallyJJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Ouch Wally, dang................that sucks big time dead donkey d**k, I would be so hurt, (not to mention my hand(s) if my faithful Glock-23 sufferd the same fate. I too have had/shot Glasers before back in the day. I have 10 rds of magsafe .45 at home for when I get my last Glock (yea right) a 30s. Makes me wonder though. Glad your OK (main thing), and hope you at least salvaged the pins and sights.

It makes me wonder a lot about using those special high end bullets that everyone puts in their gun for carry but never get around to shooting so they can "save" them or just because they are so expensive. It makes me wonder if it wouldn't be better to just keep normal range ammo in my carry gun so that it shoots just like you are used to and to make sure it doesn't get to old because you would shoot it up at the range every time. I doubt I will by this ammo ever again just because of this experience, but again, at this point I can't lay blame anywhere. Just sharing my misfortunes with others in the hope that it helps others.

WallyJJ

WallyJJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    OP:

-J-

Also, I am sure the ammunition was at one time loaded in a defense gun that never left the house but for only a short time. Most of the time it was just placed with other misc rounds in a regular 50 round box that you would get retail ammo in. It was stored in a sealed green ammo bin.

WallyJJ

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    When you had this ammo in your defensive gun, did you tend to load/unload it a lot? Example: load it, go to the range and unload to do some shooting with FMJ, reload to go home, get home and unload to clean, then reload, etc.. If so, it can definitely cause "setback" in the ammo, particularly if you load/chamber the same round every time. I make a habit of alternating which round I chamber as well as sometimes checking OAL of old rounds (been loaded for a long time) when compared to new rounds periodically.

As far as where to measure, I believe they want you to measure from the base of the brass to the tip of the bullet/polymer. It's basically the overall length of the round. This can then be compared to the OAL of factory ammo.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    When you had this ammo in your defensive gun, did you tend to load/unload it a lot? Example: load it, go to the range and unload to do some shooting with FMJ, reload to go home, get home and unload to clean, then reload, etc.. If so, it can definitely cause "setback" in the ammo, particularly if you load/chamber the same round every time. I make a habit of alternating which round I chamber as well as sometimes checking OAL of old rounds (been loaded for a long time) when compared to new rounds periodically.

As far as where to measure, I believe they want you to measure from the base of the brass to the tip of the bullet/polymer. It's basically the overall length of the round. This can then be compared to the OAL of factory ammo.

This is what I was after!

Thanks, scottka

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    It makes me wonder a lot about using those special high end bullets that everyone puts in their gun for carry but never get around to shooting so they can "save" them or just because they are so expensive....

Well, I'm not sure Glasers are all that popular. But yeah, you should rotate your carry ammo out at least annually. If someone is shooting something so expensive that can't be done, switching might be a good idea. I'm sure you can find something on this list cheaper (and more effective) than Glasers.

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It makes me wonder a lot about using those special high end bullets that everyone puts in their gun for carry but never get around to shooting so they can "save" them or just because they are so expensive. It makes me wonder if it wouldn't be better to just keep normal range ammo in my carry gun so that it shoots just like you are used to and to make sure it doesn't get to old because you would shoot it up at the range every time. I doubt I will by this ammo ever again just because of this experience, but again, at this point I can't lay blame anywhere. Just sharing my misfortunes with others in the hope that it helps others.

WallyJJ

We shoot what we carry. If you feel they are to expensive to practice enough to know what is going to happen then stick to ball rounds. We do not run the snot out of personal defense rounds but you have to run at least 1 mag occasionally so there are no surprises.
    Seriously, the out of box Glaser round will not blow up your gun. One that had set back from being chambered a lot or just not properly set might cause this. We have shot to many over the years with zero miss-hap.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, I'm not sure Glasers are all that popular. But yeah, you should rotate your carry ammo out at least annually. If someone is shooting something so expensive that can't be done, switching might be a good idea. I'm sure you can find something on this list cheaper (and more effective) than Glasers.

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

For in home use the Glaser is a good choice. It is a shot shell style load that will not go through the wall and kill the neighbor. We have shot them at walls in old farm houses ready for demo and they stay in the walls. If you shoot a bad guy it will stay in him/her. No over penetration.
    If you shoot a melon or the like it will disintegrate.

Top Bottom