My shield is bigger than yours! (A sad story)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WallyJJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    I agree those rounds look weird. Here are factory:

190659.jpg

I agree they appear slightly different. But again, I assume that picture is fairly recent, did they look that same way several years ago? I just don't know. I wish I still had the box. I think that at one time I kept them loaded and must not have had enough left over to keep the packaging.

WallyJJ

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    it is clear you had a case head failure, if it was an over pressure from a squib or hot load the chamber would have swelled out.. I can not tell in the photos if you have that..
    if the case did not go fully in and the gun fired you can get the case cut off and the chanber will not swell out..

Indycobalt19

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Wow, I honestly don't even know what to think about the gun. It honestly just blows me away. Im glad to hear that you didn't get hurt though. Hopefully S&W will make it right.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Wants list:
    Remington 700 (.308)
    Savage Mark ii SRR-TR
    SR 1911
    [STRIKE]S&W Shield[/STRIKE] CZ Rami

Glad your hand is intact...

Last edited:

WallyJJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Does S&W want you to send a sample of the ammo you were shooting along with the defective gun?

I don't know. They said they would be sending me a shipping label. I am hoping there are instructions included. If not, I may call them before shipping it and ask them if they want me to include the ammo. I certainly don't want it!

WallyJJ

WallyJJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Wants list:
    Remington 700 (.308)
    Savage Mark ii SRR-TR
    SR 1911
    [STRIKE]S&W Shield[/STRIKE] CZ Rami

haha, no - don't be like that. I love the gun and I won't judge what happened until they report back. I haven't found any other things like this on the web so I don't think it will be a common thing. It carries really nice!

WallyJJ

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    lol... I'm just messin with ya, but at least I got you to laugh a bit. I'm glad you're ok... That is some scary stuff...

lilruckus

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Indy
    That sucks about your gun. Good to hear you are ok though. Keep us updated on what happens with S&W. I still love my Shield! If you get a replacement I hope you keep it.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Reminds me of my shotgun blowing up, but the receiver was solid metal so the stock cracked, and barrel flew off. Mine blew out of the brass side into the extractor space. Sounds like the case head failure is your best bet. It is a weird feeling isn't it? It wasn't scary when it happened, and you don't have a big reaction. It's like you are completely dumbfounded and in shock. I remember just standing there, not moving, thinking
    what........????

I bet Hi-Point would have no problems honoring the warranty if it was theirs :D
    I don't know about S&W, but I don't see why they would ship you another one, since ammo sounds like it was faulty, not the gun.
    You probably cannot even contact the ammo manufacturer, they require batch numbers off the box.
    IF they did accept the blame, I would imagine they would only send you a new box of ammo. I don't know if they would pay for gun damages without a lawsuit, but who knows.

WallyJJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Reminds me of my shotgun blowing up, but the receiver was solid metal so the stock cracked, and barrel flew off. Mine blew out of the brass side into the extractor space. Sounds like the case head failure is your best bet. It is a weird feeling isn't it? It wasn't scary when it happened, and you don't have a big reaction. It's like you are completely dumbfounded and in shock. I remember just standing there, not moving, thinking
    what........????

I bet Hi-Point would have no problems honoring the warranty if it was theirs :D
    I don't know about S&W, but I don't see why they would ship you another one, since ammo sounds like it was faulty, not the gun.
    You probably cannot even contact the ammo manufacturer, they require batch numbers off the box.
    IF they did accept the blame, I would imagine they would only send you a new box of ammo. I don't know if they would pay for gun damages without a lawsuit, but who knows.

I won't be suing anybody, that's not how I roll.... and yes, it was a strange feeling.

Top Bottom