Noblesville Cabela's used gun salesman is full os S###!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    Or people that are intimidated by the LGS crowd. You know how they are...:bat:

That's a very good point. I felt pretty intimidated the first few trips I made to certain local LGS's. Once I figured out which shops were staffed by people with a modicum of social skills and which weren't, I've not been bothered by it since.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That's a very good point. I felt pretty intimidated the first few trips I made to certain local LGS's. Once I figured out which shops were staffed by people with a modicum of social skills and which weren't, I've not been bothered by it since.

It can take some time/effort to establish a good relationship with staff/owners at any place of business and an LGS is sometimes a bit tougher.
    Once established long time friendships can result.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Most gun stores I've visited stock modern stuff which I can understand as that's what most people want. For older guns, Gb is about the best I've found.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I believe you should be able to negotiate on a used weapon. Just didn't like the take it or leave it feel. I guess it all boils down to what someone is willing to pay.

Well, that is their policy. I have a take it or leave it policy when buying. You give me your price and I take it or leave it. If I feel that you are in a bargaining mood, I may ask once, but if you say no then I say thanks have a nice day and walk.

EthanR9

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    I've commented on a post or two very similar to this one. Speaking from my experience working as a salesman for two different gun stores; one is Gander Mountain, the other is an "LGS".

We're talking about part time employee's here, Cabelas might have one full time non-manager employee for firearms, making maybe $8-$9 an hour, maybe making commission. Also, I've had my fair share of frustration with people working the counter that have no idea what they're talking about, but again, $9 an hour? For $9 an hour we can't expect to speak to complete gun experts who can answer any possible question and have the answer to everything and also be an amazing person and salesman and blah blah.

Let me tell you how frustrating it can be when you literally walk someone around for 30-40 minutes showing them everything their heart desires, answering the most bizarre questions you can imagine, and then they say "Okay well thanks, I'll be sure to find you when I make my decision", never to be heard from again. Maybe 5% of people come back and honestly find you. It's sales, it's retail and it's dealing with people for both sides, selling and buying. So in my opinion, if you have continuous bad experiences, stop going because they aren't going to change for you. It's awful, and if they're making commission, it's dog eat dog. No joke, can't even tell you how many times I caught coworkers stealing commission from me and other coworkers (only at Gander).

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Last time I was there I waited 20 minutes in line to get up to the counter and then the guy asked me what specifically I wanted to look at.
    I told him I just wanted to look at all of them and he told me I can't do that anymore.
    I had to be specific.
    I and my money left.
    "Nope, you can't look at all the guns. What do you think this is? A gun store"?

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana

Agreed. When shopping for my first firearm, I was told by THREE different gun store sales people that ladies should get revolvers because they are idiotproof.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    IME, if you want to learn anything about firearms, don't go into a sporting goods store. You'd be better off at an actual gun shop. But even then you have to be careful who you talk to.

Better yet, ask your questions on INGO, and then go into your local gun shop. You'd be better off that way.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    IME, if you want to learn anything about firearms, don't go into a sporting goods store. You'd be better off at an actual gun shop. But even then you have to be careful who you talk to.

Better yet, ask your questions on INGO, and then go into your local gun shop. You'd be better off that way.
    Truth.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN

I heard the Lifetime LTCH is going away. I heard so at my LGS.

Also... Throwing a S&W 15/22P upper on a standard S&W 15/22 is also completely legal..... the sales man told me so and even showed me at gander.... I just sat back and watched him commit a felony.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Agreed. When shopping for my first firearm, I was told by THREE different gun store sales people that ladies should get revolvers because they are idiotproof.

Ladies should get wheel guns because ladies have more class than men and wheel guns are just classy.....

I (obviously) recommend revolvers to people (when I have them) and often time to ladies...I have had a couple of women say to me "Oh you think I should get a revolver because I am a woman huh?" I then show my 640-1 behind my hip and my 60-10 by my hand and smile and say, "Call me Caitlin..."

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Back to the OP...
    I saw they had a Beretta 92FS Operation Enduring Freedom(Navy) 1 of 1000 for sale. I asked to see the weapon and they brought it from the back room. It was in decent condition and they wanted 669.00. I asked if there was any budge in the price and it was a automatic NO. I asked if they had the blue book showing this price and was told that's how they got the price. He also said there was 7 or 8 online going for that price. I guess I shouldn't have done any kind of research before I went so I was gullible and just bought it. I hope the weapon finds a nice home with another Navy Veteran.

Commas would help make that first sentence understandable. As is it, the whole thing doesn't make sense.

From a cursory surf, the price seems reasonable for a big box store. At the low was $600 in a back alley in Gary to over $750 on an auction. Do you have examples of the same being sold for less online? While partially offset by sales tax, did you factor in transfer fee, shipping and compensate for risk (bad things do happen with online auctions)?

As to the last line, did you or did you not buy it? Are you some disgusted with the feeling of being hoodwinked that you're selling it?

:dunno:

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I'm not one to try and haggle prices. I am a strong believer that if the store wants to sell an item, they will list it at a price that makes it competitive. If they do not, I am not interested in buying.

I guess I am in the minority. When I go to a gun shop, I know what I want to buy before I step foot in the door. I don't go to browse. I don't go to fondle. I go to make a transaction and leave. This is very much the same philosophy that I carry with car buying.

I will continue to buy guns from Cabelas when they have the better price. This is because I can look up their pricing and offerings on their website. Too many LGS do not maintain an up to date online presence with inventory and pricing.

fishbass62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Dec 24, 2011
    Franklin
    I believe you should be able to negotiate on a used weapon. Just didn't like the take it or leave it feel. I guess it all boils down to what someone is willing to pay.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I like to negotiate on new ones also. In fact, I'll try it on almost anything. I did buy a used gun there on New Years Day. It was a return and looked like it had never been fired. Got it for almost $100 less than normal retail of the online stores, which included a military discount.

Top Bottom