Noblesville Cabela's used gun salesman is full os S###!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Been to the Noblesville store one time and for amusement asked if they had any 44-40. To their credit after about 15 minutes of confused searching they produced two boxes which I bought.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You guys are going to the wrong LGS.

The man behind the counter at the last one I went to gave me a Dr. Pepper.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Ladies should get wheel guns because ladies have more class than men and wheel guns are just classy.....

I (obviously) recommend revolvers to people (when I have them) and often time to ladies...I have had a couple of women say to me "Oh you think I should get a revolver because I am a woman huh?" I then show my 640-1 behind my hip and my 60-10 by my hand and smile and say, "Call me Caitlin..."

I think it's perfectly acceptable and accurate to say that revolvers are good for first-time shooters because they are less complicated to operate, but the term "idiot-proof" is insulting to anyone.

And yeah, they are just classy. :thumbsup:

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    I believe you should be able to negotiate on a used weapon. Just didn't like the take it or leave it feel. I guess it all boils down to what someone is willing to pay.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I like to negotiate on new ones also. In fact, I'll try it on almost anything. I did buy a used gun there on New Years Day. It was a return and looked like it had never been fired. Got it for almost $100 less than normal retail of the online stores, which included a military discount.

They could play that game and inflate their prices $50-$100 so they would have room for negotiation, but then you'd rip them for having even higher prices. Sort of a no win situation for them.

I appreciate people putting their best price out there. With most purchases, not just guns, I tend to reward the store that puts the best price out and doesn't make me haggle.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Any merchandise is worth exactly what someone wants to pay. It is their job to sell what they have in the store, not help the buyer find a lower price. A couple winters ago I really wanted a JM signature S&W 625. Even cheapest advertised price was fairly expensive. They were on back order every place I checked. Any estimated for ordering were a long range out or unknown. A national chain store had one in stock. They wanted $80 or $90 more than anyplace else. Of course an online price means nothing if they do not actually have one to sell. It was worth the extra price to me, being able to walk out the door with it. I am sure if I was willing to wait a few months, I could have saved that money. I made the decision, and shot it that day. I never have slandered the chain retailer, they did not trick me in any way. They had their capital tied up in stock long enough to have my revolver, and I had full freedom in my decision. I have enjoyed my purchase ever since. Seeing an ad for a cheaper price long after the fact does not even bother me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Any merchandise is worth exactly what someone wants to pay. It is their job to sell what they have in the store, not help the buyer find a lower price. A couple winters ago I really wanted a JM signature S&W 625. Even cheapest advertised price was fairly expensive. They were on back order every place I checked. Any estimated for ordering were a long range out or unknown. A national chain store had one in stock. They wanted $80 or $90 more than anyplace else. Of course an online price means nothing if they do not actually have one to sell. It was worth the extra price to me, being able to walk out the door with it. I am sure if I was willing to wait a few months, I could have saved that money. I made the decision, and shot it that day. I never have slandered the chain retailer, they did not trick me in any way. They had their capital tied up in stock long enough to have my revolver, and I had full freedom in my decision. I have enjoyed my purchase ever since. Seeing an ad for a cheaper price long after the fact does not even bother me.

I call this a "Convenience" Fee.
    If I can fondle the gun, have good conversation with friends or make new ones in the process then the extra dollars (with in reason of course) is nothing compared to waiting and the hoops one has to jump through to save $50 on line and run the risk you might get a turd.
    There are so many ways to look at this and it all depends on ones perception.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I've picked up three guns there so far. I like the employees most of the time. They are usually more than happy to show me whatever I want to see.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Cabela's contrary to Ingo's perception, knows exactly what they are doing price wise. It works or they wouldn't do it.

I was in a Cabela's in Columbus, Oh a few weeks ago. They had moved out some display shelves so they could put in a waiting area for the NICS check. They had placed 35 chairs in said waiting area. They have six terminals to run the NICS on. I'd say pricing be darned, they are selling loads of guns.

I was there on a Monday, so it was not crowed. I happened to ask an employee about the waiting area. He said most Fri, Sat and Sundays. It's standing room only most of the afternoon.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    There's another thread on this somewhere but I'll post this here too. Cabela's has a "secret room" in their gun departments. That's where the deals are made.

There's the big shelf/case section where Joe High School and/or Johnny Retiree works for $9/hr and even though they "like guns" they're probably not motivated by much more than showing off their favorites and "busting" someone for having a mismatched address on their license. Catch up with those guys on a Tuesday at mid-day and they'll show you every gun there and you can shop as long as you want. They'll roll their eyes after you've looked at the fifth gun you're obviously not going to buy because they've run out of stories of their own shooting prowess and now you're making them work for their $9/hr.

The next section is the "show room." It's usually off to the side and has an exclusive feel to it. It's chock full of old guns with commas on the price tags. The dudes staffing it are a bit more knowledgeable and can't wait to show you the ones with the commas. I don't think they get a commission (because it's a big box store, after all) but I'm willing to bet they've worked there for a bit longer and seem to have impressed the manager with their google-fu and maybe even outright gun knowledge. They're typically not shooters but they probably have a bigger safe than you.

The coup de grace of deal making decisions and the master of disaster at a Cabela's is the guy with the office. If you go in the show room, there's an office off to the side. Sometimes they have big leather chairs and elephant tusks decorating the most manly of manly rooms at the churched up sporting goods store. This guy might have his name on the door.

If you can somehow land in this guy's office sitting in one of those nice leather chairs, chances are good you're ready to wheel and deal. He can make things happen with the wave of his hand. "25% off? No problem. Make it so, high school stock boy. Reflect the price change on the new ticket. I approve."

... and like that, you're gone.

indynotch50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    These big box stores sell guns in waves. I like going to them to browse actually.
    A good example is I'm looking for a new waterfowl shotgun. I've looked online and found some that I'm interested in. So I'll swing by the store to get my hands on them and see how they feel. Then I'll go shop around and see where I can get the best deal. I've definitely come back to places after browsing to buy because they were nice and had a good price.
    As far as negotiating, it just depends. Typically when I go to buy one I know who has the best price anyways, so there's much less wiggle room. I've also done it when I was on the fence if I wanted to spend the money or not and getting it down just a few bucks made me feel all warm and cozy about the deal.

Lees

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    I've picked up three guns there so far. I like the employees most of the time. They are usually more than happy to show me whatever I want to see.

I bought two there and my husband has bought one so far. I've also had good experiences, for the most part. Yes, I'm female, but my husband has been there more often and he's also had good experiences. We bought stuff that we hadn't been able to find elsewhere, and that we wanted to handle in person before buying. It's more expensive there but it's not like it's Gander Mountain expensive.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    They probably figure someone will buy it eventually even if it has to sit on the shelf for 2 years. I know some folks who wheel and deal on other items and will let things sit until they get their price rather than take a lower offer and sell it then.

Top Bottom