• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Why not make them earn the blue cord and an EIB first? Why do they get to just jump right in to get a tab?

Do Ranger cooks or Ranger truck drivers have to earn the blue cord first?

I'm totally against putting women into any forward position where they may see combat. Men should fight wars, not women.

Having said that, Women Marines can beat up [STRIKE]fe[/STRIKE]male Rangers :stickpoke: :D

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I don't find anything in the articles cited that even hints at lowered standards.

If the standards are not lowered, there will be almost zero who will see anything past Harmony Church.

The standards will have to change pretty dramatically. It doesn't have to say it in the articles, it's very clear.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    If the standards are not lowered, there will be almost zero who will see anything past Harmony Church.

The standards will have to change pretty dramatically. It doesn't have to say it in the articles, it's very clear.
    The standards have already DROPPED in the last 5 years significantly... :(

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    As long as the armed forces are paid for by the taxes of women, women deserve equitable treatment in all forces.

If we consider "equitable treatment" the same thing, I agree.

It would seem that most that oppose women in the rangers are fearful that permitting women in the program will lead to lowering the standards. While this would not have to be the case, a brief glance back into recent history seems to validate this view.

The vast majority of men in the US population would not make it through ranger school. It is unlikely that I would make the cut, and most would probably consider me a physically active male. The failure rate of women based on the current standards would be extremely high, and I do not say that to talk down to women - I know a few that are tough as nails and stronger than many men that I know, but biological differences do create a divide between the physical aptitudes of the sexes.

I am not sure how accurate this number is, but I have read that close to 50% of all male prospects do not make it through ranger school. If the failure rate for women is significantly higher, and the standards are modified to increase their success rate - then that can create real problems.

Those few rare women that can hack ranger school by current standards are not the issue - creating a double standard to pass individuals that cannot perform as well as others is a huge issue. Remember, everyone that earns their tab relies on the person at their side, and the standards exist for a reason.

Last edited:

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    The only thing that will be achieved here is devaluing the Ranger tab. Do this -- just leave the standards for one of the most basic tasks of a Ranger intact: moving quickly over rough terrain with a 60-100(or more...) lb. ruck. Leave that one intact and see how many women make it. A few, yes, and they deserve to. If the Army genuinely would, could uphold the standard, I'd be for it. But they can't. Too many women will wash out, and all of the standards will have to be re-evaluated. Rucks will be weighed and standards will be devised based on the soldier's body weight, rather than "here's all the stuff a squad has to carry, carry it." Been there, done that, been forced to change ruck march standards to keep all of the women from failing, as just one example.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    As long as the armed forces are paid for by the taxes of women, women deserve equitable treatment in all forces.

I will agree that if the course applies to something they will actually do rather than collecting chest and collar decorations for political reasons, and they can perform according to present standards and their failure is accepted just as readily as it is with the men who don't make it, fine. Otherwise, it is nothing but political BS that has no place in the military, which exists to get a job done, not to be a bastion of political correctness.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Don't know if it's still done, but back in the day, some rangers sewed on their tab with white thread, sort of a badge of honor for attending ranger school in the winter, which was generally thought to be more difficult. Makes me wonder if the pre-PC rangers in a few years will do something similar to show that they attended the course before ruck marches were replaced by casual strolls and before patrol bases were set in areas with portajohns.

Top Bottom