• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    TF, you are an inspiration. When I rode the greenway this Summer I CCd in an ankle holster. After I rode the trail I went up Main street and criss crossed around the downtown a little. I was too pooped to do that today and the traffic was starting to pick up but next time I'll just concentrate on the river front then head up Main. There are several sidewalk cafe type places and it ought to be good viewing for patrons to see an OCr pedaling up the street. Maybe I'll wave to the mayor and thank him for the arena that nobody wants.
    Thanks, and LOL about the arena! :n00b:
    That health food store will turn a blind-eye to your gun regardless of their beliefs...They need your business.

On your way home, stop by Wal-Mart, walk around for a few minutes and let me know how it goes.

After I find the right OWB holster, I'll start OCing one of my 1911s(I just started looking today for the right holster).

Kick ass! Welcome Benny!

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    That health food store will turn a blind-eye to your gun regardless of their beliefs...They need your business.

On your way home, stop by Wal-Mart, walk around for a few minutes and let me know how it goes.

After I find the right OWB holster, I'll start OCing one of my 1911s(I just started looking today for the right holster).
    Will do on the Wal Mart. But it will be the one on the west side of E'ville. Maybe I'll sashe around a little, turning here and there like a chick showing off her butt.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville

Whittakers has a whole wall of holsters. I've had good luck with a couple nice ones from Rajos too. They may be a few bucks higher but at least they had a good variety.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    It was a very good day in Tiny Town today. Birds were singing, the sun was bright, all was quiet at the zoo and Mr. Ortega was about spreading cheer! I started at Thorntons on St. Joe for my morning coke. I ran into a friend and as we were talking a semi-weird dude walked past me and threw his hands up in the air while grinning. I smiled back and pointed at him. Probably 7-8 people had to notice the piece. Next stop was Wesselmans on Fulton to return some bad milk. Two dudes walking outside noticed. Then went to Shoe Carnival main store in Eastland Place. A sales lady worked with me for a full 10 minutes. She was all around me and couldn't miss the G23 on my belt. She didn't say a word about it and I acted normal. Then I went to the womens section to wait for my wife. Another 8-10 sales staff and customers were exposed to my machine-o-death. The floor manager looked several times. Our next stop was Schlotskys for lunch. It was pretty crowded. I made sure when I moved around that my piece was toward people as I went around getting drinks, napkins, etc. Multiple witnesses there. Next stop was the best. We went to Paradise Organics north of Castle school in Newburgh. As I walked in and asked the manager/owner (?) for Hemp Oil he looked me in the eye then immediately at my pistol then went to get the stuff. I paid the lady at the counter. As the gentleman came back with the oil (great Omega 3s and anti-oxidants) I pointed at my Glock and said, "I have to ask my wife to point this thing at me to get me to drink that stuff." He immediately laughed and looked relaxed. He said, "Is the taste that bad?" I said it was and we had a good chuckle. He and the two sales ladies were smiling as I walked out. Next went to CVS on Sontag for some essentials. Probably 4 sales people had to see the gun. One of the pharmacists also. Last stop was the Wesselmans attached to CVS. 3 or 4 people there were exposed including the check out and a lady that must have thought I was cute because she was in line behind me and could have got the clock caught on her belt. So the exposure count today was probably 35 people who likely had never seen a citizen carrying a weapon. Please understand when I say I moved about so that people could see it I wasn't being macho or flashy. I moved in a normal manner but purposely made sure there was something to see. Tomorrow we are leaving for a weekend wedding in Chicago and I will open carry all the way up, including the normal McDonalds and truck stops that we always stop at. My main point to this whole process is to carry the flag, so to speak.

I'm extremely sensitive to the fact that this zoo carry thing is still really big in Evanvsville now. That is why I'm making such a big deal out of OCing that a lot of you take for granted. The local paper printed Guy's editorial and a letter that I sent over a week ago and had given up hope on. They were very true to my words and just edited a change in a couple personal pronouns. If y,all want to check out the website it is Evansville Courier & Press: Local Evansville, Indiana News Delivered Throughout the Day. and check the "opinion" section you'll see both of them. Register a name and join in the comments. There were 144 comments on Guy's and about 40 on mine that last I looked. The idiots are in full view.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    ^ OCing like a BOSS. :yesway:

You know, going back to sneaky might just take some adjustment. :D

:shady:
    Could be tough! OC is starting to feel scary natural. I'm really surprised more people don't seem to notice. I'm starting to think it's along those lines that get bikers killed: People just don't see them because their eyes are looking for autos. On firearms people seem to just see the person because they aren't looking for the gun. I'm sure if I went back to dark jeans and dark shirt nobody would notice a dark Glock.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Hey mrortega, doesn't OC'ing feel liberating? Not trying to always be conscious of whether you are printing. Wondering if someone is going to see if you reach for that item on the top shelf at the store. You soon come to the realization that you can go about your normal life without always trying to conceal. A word of warning though. You might not want to ever go back to concealing. It's kinda like trying boxers for a month, then going back to briefs. Way too constricting. Glad to see you join the cause though!

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Hey mrortega, doesn't OC'ing feel liberating? Not trying to always be conscious of whether you are printing. Wondering if someone is going to see if you reach for that item on the top shelf at the store. You soon come to the realization that you can go about your normal life without always trying to conceal. A word of warning though. You might not want to ever go back to concealing. It's kinda like trying boxers for a month, then going back to briefs. Way too constricting. Glad to see you join the cause though!
    Thanks. There are still places I'll CC because "concealed means concealed" if you know what I mean;) When my wife and I go out for dinner some night with Mr. and Mrs. T Frost there could be a critical mass of firepower there.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Will do on the Wal Mart. But it will be the one on the west side of E'ville. Maybe I'll sashe around a little, turning here and there like a chick showing off her butt.

That's not the same though.:):

Whittakers has a whole wall of holsters. I've had good luck with a couple nice ones from Rajos too. They may be a few bucks higher but at least they had a good variety.

I'm no stranger to Whittaker. Their firearms prices are insanely good, but accessories can be a bit steep. I'll probably just start local and just see what fits best, then buy it online and save 25-35%.

I wouldn't give Rajo's my business to save my life. The owner is a ****ing prick IME.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    That's not the same though.:):

I wouldn't give Rajo's my business to save my life. The owner is a ****ing prick IME.
    Yeah, I've never gotten a good trade from him either. How about this? I'm going to contact Sen. Jim Tomes and offer to put on a little holster demo at the next Patriots meeting or one in the future where he might need a filler for a program. I aim to save people a lot of money like I spent trying to figure out what I wanted to carry concealed, semi-concealed or OC. I've got several nice belt holsters for strong side and cross carry as well as a Serpa and a nice ankle rig. If you come to it you might see something you like. Do you belong to Red Brush? Even if you don't I'm a member and I can guest you in for a little shooting and you can try on all my holsters and see which you like before you spend any money. Let me know:draw:

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    Great thread! Good start too! Ok my turn:

Tonight the wife and I OC'd at Wesselman Woods during our walk with Colt. I don't really pay attention to who sees it anymore but no strange events happened while we were there.

We need to recruit WebHobbit, DustyDawg, SCOwens, Mudcat, etc. etc. Come on guys! Join the fun!

Heh....it's VERY tempting...but man I just DO NOT want a "run in" with any law ignorant cops! And truthfully even if I was up to it I know my wife isn't. And I'm a lot like you Ben -in that I go most places with my wife. I will give you this since I've learned that OC is legal I don't worry so much when I'm walking in the park and a good wind blows my open covering shirt tail up briefly revealing my XDM. So you might say OC's legality has made my casual concealment a LOT easier.

So thanks for that! :)

Last edited:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Yeah, I've never gotten a good trade from him either. How about this? I'm going to contact Sen. Jim Tomes and offer to put on a little holster demo at the next Patriots meeting or one in the future where he might need a filler for a program. I aim to save people a lot of money like I spent trying to figure out what I wanted to carry concealed, semi-concealed or OC. I've got several nice belt holsters for strong side and cross carry as well as a Serpa and a nice ankle rig. If you come to it you might see something you like. Do you belong to Red Brush? Even if you don't I'm a member and I can guest you in for a little shooting and you can try on all my holsters and see which you like before you spend any money. Let me know:draw:

No, I'm a member up the road though(Izaak Walton).

I'd love to meet you there sometime...I have a pretty decent collection of rifles, shotguns and handguns that you are more than welcome to try out as well.:ingo:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Heh....it's VERY tempting...but man I just DO NOT want a "run in" with any law ignorant cops! And truthfully even if I was up to it I know my wife isn't. And I'm a lot like you Ben -in that I go most places with my wife. I will give you this since I've learned that OC is legal I don't worry so much when I'm walking in the park and a good wind blows my open covering shirt tail up briefly revealing my XDM. So you might say OC's legality has made my casual concealment a LOT easier.

So thanks for that! :)
    No prob! Hey when did you switch from your trusty revolver? See? You ARE making strides! :D

No, I'm a member up the road though(Izaak Walton).

I'd love to meet you there sometime...I have a pretty decent collection of rifles, shotguns and handguns that you are more than welcome to try out as well.:ingo:

Don't forget ME!!! I'm a member of Redbrush as well, maybe a local get together is in order?

An XDm deserves to be seen. Just sayin'. ;)

LOL

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    No prob! Hey when did you switch from your trusty revolver? See? You ARE making strides! :D

About a month ago. I still have ONE revolver in my arsenal (3 inch SP101). I sold or traded the rest. I'm REALLY loving the XDm 9mm. I have 3 now! One 4.5 (stainless/OD)...one 3.8 compact (stainless/black) and I recently got a second 3.8 compact (all black). So now the 3.8 compacts are my EDCs. I like to have two carry pieces so I can always have one to carry while the other is shot/cleaned in rotation.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I failed to mention that about 1/3 of the attendees at my Comprehensive Indiana Gun Law course at the Cabela's in Hammond last Saturday were OCing. It seemed very natural - recognizing of course that we were in a very gun-friendly environment.

Guy

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    About a month ago. I still have ONE revolver in my arsenal (3 inch SP101). I sold or traded the rest. I'm REALLY loving the XDm 9mm. I have 3 now! One 4.5 (stainless/OD)...one 3.8 compact (stainless/black) and I recently got a second 3.8 compact (all black). So now the 3.8 compacts are my EDCs. I like to have two carry pieces so I can always have one to carry while the other is shot/cleaned in rotation.
    I have a 101 and love it. I haven't carried it in a while but it'll never be traded or sold.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I failed to mention that about 1/3 of the attendees at my Comprehensive Indiana Gun Law course at the Cabela's in Hammond last Saturday were OCing. It seemed very natural - recognizing of course that we were in a very gun-friendly environment.

Guy
    I guess if you were renting some space or otherwise had some control over it you could have banned weapons from the event. What were you thinking? What about the children?? (Oh, wait. If there were any 5 yr. old girls you could have demonstrated retention techniques:D)

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Okay. Let's see what's going on in a week or so. Do you know TF?

Don't forget ME!!! I'm a member of Redbrush as well, maybe a local get together is in order?

LOL

Maybe a feeler thread is in order? I'm sure you aren't the only two Red Brush members.

I'd be down to go though; I recently had a rust scare...It was a false alarm, but I have several optics I need to rezero. :):

Top Bottom