v63fpu.png

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I was surprised when I went to BassPro looking for gun accessories to see these next to the pistol holsters.

My first thought was, 'That's Crazy! I'd probably get locked up for impersonating a police Officer'.

Of course, I'm sure they would not be selling them in Bass Pro if that was the case, but it did get me thinking.

I can see advantages to having something like this while OC. Hang it on your belt next to your holster and the 'fear factor' might be reduced for the general public. LEO might use it as a cue that you are legal, etc...

But my own thoughts are mere speculation. I'm most interested in input from LEO about these things. What would your reaction be to seeing someone with a CCW badge on their hip or neck?

Does this his seem like a good or bad idea? I'm sure opinions will vary, just as I'm sure there are a number of possible bad outcomes here.

Let me know what you think.

Almost 50 posts...almost.

Cranky much?
    I've seen his other posts, and he seems to be participating.
    So, what's your problem?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    yes I think they are stupid too but there are gun owners that don't know any better. So even if you had a "suspect" who actualy made a good shoot how would the ccw badge change a good
    shoot by a good guy? It wouldn't. I guess you can tell their lawyer what an asshat you think they are because if they are smart they will know not to talk to the cops without theirs present. That tidbit of advice should be sold with every ccw badge I guess. Blame retailers for making money off these not gun owners.
    its pretty sad that a lot of people who buy these will do so to try to prevent bad blood with a cop but get the opposite from The one above.

Maybe go back and read the original thread that quote was lifted from. It wasn't about good shoot/bad shoot, it was about what to do when you are involved in a shooting and police arrive. The OP was asking about "throwing their CCW badge to responding officers". That's stupid and could end up getting you shot. If your plan is "I'll toss this badge to them" and you turn to do so with the gun in your hand and you're not following orders, good luck. The plan should be "do what they tell you to do." Nothing to do with good shoot/bad shoot or "bad blood". If you want to look like a tool or whacker, go for it. You can also go around wearing a tutu, flip flops, and a clown wig. The rest of us get to laugh at you if we like. Such is freedom.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Maybe go back and read the original thread that quote was lifted from. It wasn't about good shoot/bad shoot, it was about what to do when you are involved in a shooting and police arrive. The OP was asking about "throwing their CCW badge to responding officers". That's stupid and could end up getting you shot. If your plan is "I'll toss this badge to them" and you turn to do so with the gun in your hand and you're not following orders, good luck. The plan should be "do what they tell you to do." Nothing to do with good shoot/bad shoot or "bad blood". If you want to look like a tool or whacker, go for it. You can also go around wearing a tutu, flip flops, and a clown wig. The rest of us get to laugh at you if we like. Such is freedom.
    well yeah I agree if you physically throw anything at police when they have their guns out you'd be an idiot. Some people who use guns don't always practice proper finger discipline, cops included and are jumpy when they see other people with guns.
    If I ever get in a shooting I'm gonna strip naked and hug the cops when they arrive to show my gratitude for coming to clean up the mess I made

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    well yeah I agree if you physically throw anything at police when they have their guns out you'd be an idiot. Some people who use guns don't always practice proper finger discipline, cops included and are jumpy when they see other people with guns.
    If I ever get in a shooting I'm gonna strip naked and hug the cops when they arrive to show my gratitude for coming to clean up the mess I made

Then they are going to ask you to drop your gun.

I can drop my pistol. I can drop my rifle. I cannot drop my gun. It is attached. It is for fun.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    yes I think they are stupid too but there are gun owners that don't know any better. So even if you had a "suspect" who actualy made a good shoot how would the ccw badge change a good
    shoot by a good guy? It wouldn't. I guess you can tell their lawyer what an asshat you think they are because if they are smart they will know not to talk to the cops without theirs present. That tidbit of advice should be sold with every ccw badge I guess. Blame retailers for making money off these not gun owners.
    its pretty sad that a lot of people who buy these will do so to try to prevent bad blood with a cop but get the opposite from The one above.

How in the hell did you get that out of what was posted?

Yep.

And doubling down...

But back on topic. I could see one possible use, and that would be a very very slim possibility. That would be if you were out and about and a active shooter event happened and you drew to either stop the shooter or in case he got in your way while trying to unass the area. I could possibly see that having it around your neck might give responding officers a pause before firing. But chances are if the officers are going to shoot first without verifying target, the piece of metal hanging from around your neck wouldn't make any difference even if they did spot it, which is questionable. And this is not a bash on LEO, the vast majority will not shoot when responding just because they see a pistol in someone's hand. And the very small minority that would, again I don't see much of a chance of this stopping it.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

I now have a new post shoot action plan!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    In addition to the badge hanging on the chain, I got one of those FBI dark blue windbreakers. I took a marker and wrote CCW over top of the FBI on the back.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    But back on topic. I could see one possible use, and that would be a very very slim possibility. That would be if you were out and about and a active shooter event happened and you drew to either stop the shooter or in case he got in your way while trying to unass the area. I could possibly see that having it around your neck might give responding officers a pause before firing.

The #1 way to not get shot is to follow commands. Plain clothes officers with actual police badges are trained to do the same thing. Follow commands. Do not turn with the gun in your hand. Drop it when told to drop it. Then when people don't have guns pointed at each other, sort it out. I have the advantage of a police radio and when I'm going into something, I can broadcast my own description to responding officers. Those of you with a scanner have probably heard the warnings on permeters and the like "we've got plain clothes officers in the area wearing...." and we try to get a vest on over top of our regular attire if time permits.

During or immediately after a shooting is...stressful. It's not the time to be thinking "what do I do" or have some BS plan. The time to plan is now and the plan should be "don't turn toward them with a gun...follow commands."

Top Bottom