• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    One thing that my friend told me was that when he planted a shelter belt of pine trees along the road that bordered his property was that he wished he'd planted only spruce along the road.

He planted mostly White Pine, as in your drawing, and he said that the road salt would make the White Pines yellow-out and die, but the Spruce, blue and white, grew much better.

Dave A

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Hancock Co.
    I ordered 100 3 yr old white pine and the wildlife packet from the DNR at Vallonia. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to put on the plants to keep the deer and rabbits from eating them?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Another way to keep deer off of something you like is to plant something then deer like more than what you're trying to protect. In my case I like apples but deer will eat them all if I don't put something else out there that they like even better. I just bought 10 american persimmon tree 3'-4' high from a seller I trust on Ebay for $60 shipped. It'll add another food source for me as well and it'll give the deer another option besides eating my apples.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I ordered 100 3 yr old white pine and the wildlife packet from the DNR at Vallonia. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to put on the plants to keep the deer and rabbits from eating them?

White pine is Deer crack. Unless you fence them you will lose some to deer.

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    One thing that my friend told me was that when he planted a shelter belt of pine trees along the road that bordered his property was that he wished he'd planted only spruce along the road.

He planted mostly White Pine, as in your drawing, and he said that the road salt would make the White Pines yellow-out and die, but the Spruce, blue and white, grew much better.

Never considered that, I had planned to stagger white pine with a spruce in an alternating pattern, but might re-think that if road salt has that big of an effect. Thanks!

The Drifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Cedar Lake
    When I planted out my yard with trees I contacted several farmers with wooded areas on there property's . So ,for free I was able to go in and mark trees I was interested in . I picked out three pin oaks 3 Hickories , and one linden or bass wood tree , oh and one young black walnut tree. The farmer let me go in and dig them out ,all between 5 and 8 feet tall , two weekends of work . Did this just after they all got there leaves . Planted them all 2o years ago and all lived and look great. Try a farmer for free trees. Maples are super fast growers to get shade but are weak in the wind , keep them away from the house.

Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    I have a bunch of young fruit trees, and I am going to deer fence the whole area with 8' deer fence. I had wrapped each tree, but they are outgrowing the enclosures, and it makes it hard to mow and tend them. Plan to move my garden into the same enclosure, and plant a couple of nut trees, too.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Tomorrow morning I'm going to be planting the following:

24 hybrid willows
    14 river birch
    4 Russian almond shrubs
    2 Methley Plums
    2 Santa Rosa Plums
    3 North Star Cherries
    3 Montmorency Cherry tree
    10 American Persimmon
    10 Jane Magnolia

All of these were bought on ebay. All arrived healthy and looking good. All it takes is a well thought out plan, a bunch of trees, and a good shovel. You can plant whatever you'd like on your land and watch it grow.

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Slow start, but got an initial order in. Planted 6 White Pines, 2 Persimmon, and 4 Sycamore. Still waiting for two more large orders.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Slow start, but got an initial order in. Planted 6 White Pines, 2 Persimmon, and 4 Sycamore. Still waiting for two more large orders.

Planted a root sprout from a friend's persimmon a few years back and it's just about ten feet tall now. Got our first bunch of persimmons last fall; found out the hard way that our dog will eat the fruit as fast as they fall to the ground.

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Planted my large orders this weekend, and "planted" about 300' of fence posts as well.

New this weekend:
    2 Apple
    2 Willow
    6 Hybrid Poplar
    4 White Pine
    3 Red Maple
    4 Birch
    2 Aspen

Wife snuck in some random forsythia and other misc flowers and whatnot as well I think.

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Side note from this weekend. From the sounds of it, I have some good neighbors. Someone quite close to me to the west must have spent a fortune in ammo, because I heard them out shooting literally all afternoon on Saturday. Heard lots of gunfire from a different direction this afternoon, but not nearly as many.

I'm quite happy to hear so much gunfire out there, since I was hoping to put in a nice backstop near my western property line, since there are no houses behind me for at least a couple miles if not more.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    It's the best feeling in the world to walk outside and hear neighbors shooting. It's reassuring to know that even the neighbors you haven't met yet are out shooting.

Here's a picture of an Apple "Fruit Cocktail" tree that I planted last weekend. This single tree has 5 different types of apples on it. I'm using this type of tree as a conversation piece, not for a primary supply of apples. For people with small backyards though, the cocktail type trees with multiple types of apples grafted onto one tree offers a lot because they're self fertile at that point. Just another tree for you to think about.

Top Bottom