• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Higginbo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    Columbus
    I see a lot of people have mentioned the Indiana DNR, but there are several other states that will ship out of state for quite reasonable prices. I'm hoping to buy from Kentucky ( State Nurseries and Tree Seedlings | State Nurseries and Tree Seedlings ) or Missouri ( About Missouri's State Forest Nursery | Missouri Department of Conservation) next year. If you do order from out of state, it might be wise to ask a forester or Ag extension agent to confirm you're not getting an invasive, unless you're willing to manage it. Another fantastic resource (IMHO) is tcpermaculture.com. It's a blog by a Dr. who does fabulous write ups on different plants, including trees. It's also got some great introductory explanations of Permaculture techniques in easy to read format. It would be the first site I suggest to someone interested in learning what permaculture is. Just go to the article index.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    How do you get pecans and almonds to overwinter in IN? I have a hard time with the Chinese Chestnuts. Late hard freeze a couple of yrs ago killed all the live foliage and above ground wood. The're just starting to come back from the root stock. My English walnuts did ok though. Hickory/pecan crosses are pretty hardy I hear. Haven't sprung for any yet to try them.

Planted 1500 trees over about three yrs on the front 40 several yrs ago. All from the state nursery at Vallonia. Pasture was covered in broom sedge and fescue. If you gotta plant trees in grass, kill the grass. I mulched a few as chips came available from local tree trimmers and they're twice the size of the ones fighting the grass.

[/QUOTE].

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    As far as almonds in IN go, I planted some "Russian Almond trees" this year. They're supposed to good in our zone, but time will tell. Mine aren't even 2' tall so I've got a long time to wait either way.

I'll also agree with what was mentioned about mulching. I planted 10 bare root American Persimmon trees this year. 5 in one area without mulch, 5 300 yards away with mulch. The 5 that didn't get mulch still look like a stick in the ground. The 5 that got mulch now 4 of them are leafing out and surviving. I wish I'd have taken the time to have put mulch around every tree when I first planted them. Live and learn I suppose.

Katana1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    IN DNR Tree Steward here. You can plant container trees any time. Bare root in spring or fall, but best in the fall since they will have less demand for water. Look up tree planting on the web. If you plant them too deep, you could kill them. All trees are not created equal. Tips? Yes, get input from an expert. Plant the right tree in the right place. Do not plant all the same cultivar. Variety is best. Do an internet search on Food Forest. To much to talk about here. Think about what you want from your property. Trees can provide food as well as firewood. Do an internet search on Permaculture. Invest in some planning. It will pay you dividends later.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    IN DNR Tree Steward here. You can plant container trees any time. Bare root in spring or fall, but best in the fall since they will have less demand for water. Look up tree planting on the web. If you plant them too deep, you could kill them. All trees are not created equal. Tips? Yes, get input from an expert. Plant the right tree in the right place. Do not plant all the same cultivar. Variety is best. Do an internet search on Food Forest. To much to talk about here. Think about what you want from your property. Trees can provide food as well as firewood. Do an internet search on Permaculture. Invest in some planning. It will pay you dividends later.

Will you do house calls on the side to help some of us start a plan?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    You should already have mulch at the base of the trees. If you don't fix that first. Then if you want to you may want to get some 4" drain tile and cut a two or three foot section to cover the base of the tree and protect it from little critters getting hungry and eating the bark. You could put some straw around anything you'd want but this invites mice and critters as well.

For me I planted way too many trees to do all of that. I let the weeds grow up high around the trees to provide some amount of cover and protection for a nasty winter. For me that was easier than getting straw around everything.

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    You should already have mulch at the base of the trees. If you don't fix that first. Then if you want to you may want to get some 4" drain tile and cut a two or three foot section to cover the base of the tree and protect it from little critters getting hungry and eating the bark. You could put some straw around anything you'd want but this invites mice and critters as well.

For me I planted way too many trees to do all of that. I let the weeds grow up high around the trees to provide some amount of cover and protection for a nasty winter. For me that was easier than getting straw around everything.

:yesway: I've mulched the bigger trees, and I let the grass (weeds) grow up a bit around the little ones I planted this spring. Good call out on the drain tile, I've been needing to do that all year on the bigger trees, I'd hate to hit one with a trimmer, or mower, sounds like good insurance.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    white clover is a nitrogen fixer if you want something that will add nitrogen vs grass.

Mulberry is stupid easy to propagate from cuttings. Get one solid one growing and use the cuttings to grow more for free.

Top Bottom