• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    get some mulch around that tree asap.... it will keep the grass from competing and help keep the ground moist.

That's the first thing I have on my list to get done tonight. I've got to water a bunch of trees that I recently planted and start getting mulch around them.

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    get some mulch around that tree asap.... it will keep the grass from competing and help keep the ground moist.

That is my current challenge. I don't have water on the property yet, I'm not sure how to keep these trees watered without hauling buckets.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    That is my current challenge. I don't have water on the property yet, I'm not sure how to keep these trees watered without hauling buckets.

buy one of the big 275 gallon tanks with the faucet in the bottom. put it in the back of your truck drive to each tree.

anyone know how many pollinators I need for my trees? I have 4 apple trees. 1 pollinator and the other 3 for apples. is that enough? the 3 apple tree's are basically in a circle triangle with the pollinator in the center of those 3. do I need another pollinator?

got 3 cherry trees that are going into the ground tomorrow hopefully.

Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    depends on when they will flower, early, mid or late season, your pollinators need to line up with the other fruit trees. A crabapple is a universal pollinator for apple trees.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    buy one of the big 275 gallon tanks with the faucet in the bottom. put it in the back of your truck drive to each tree.

anyone know how many pollinators I need for my trees? I have 4 apple trees. 1 pollinator and the other 3 for apples. is that enough? the 3 apple tree's are basically in a circle triangle with the pollinator in the center of those 3. do I need another pollinator?

got 3 cherry trees that are going into the ground tomorrow hopefully.

Every apple tree you have is a pollinator for the apple trees around it. What specific trees do you have. For example, do you have Red Delicious, Granny Smith, Gala, Fuji, McIntosh, Honey Crisp, etc.... Each breed of apple tree flowers at a different time throughout the year. There is some overlap with bloom times, but you will always be well served to know exactly what type of apple tree you've got and make sure that there is a balance of bloom times.

For example in my backyard, I've got the following apple trees:
    (1) Fuji
    (1) Yellow Delicious
    (3) Honey Crisp
    (1) Red Delicious
    (2) Granny Smith
    (2) McIntosh
    (2) Gala
    (2) Apple Cocktail with 5 different breeds grafted onto the same tree.

With a variety like what I've got here, there really isn't going to be any gaps in the pollinating season for fruit production. I chose to go the route of having more and more apple producing trees to pollinate, but keep in mind you could put a crabapple out there and it'd help pollinate your trees as well. Some apple trees only pollinate a few, and some pollinate about all the trees out there. It's best to make sure you've got a couple pollinating slut trees out there to make sure everything produces.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I have 3 honey crisp and 1 Johnathons. I know it pollinates the honey crisp and worked for 1 tree but I added 2 extra and just wasn't sure if the one tree was enough for the other 3. I only have a small 2 acre lot and not a ton of room for more trees. Hopefully it will work. I guess I'll know in a year or two. same with my cherry trees. I only have 3 of them so hopefully they take care of each other.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I have 3 honey crisp and 1 Johnathons. I know it pollinates the honey crisp and worked for 1 tree but I added 2 extra and just wasn't sure if the one tree was enough for the other 3. I only have a small 2 acre lot and not a ton of room for more trees. Hopefully it will work. I guess I'll know in a year or two. same with my cherry trees. I only have 3 of them so hopefully they take care of each other.

I see what you're getting at now. I think you'd be in good shape unless something weird happened with the Johnathon at some season in the future.

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Got some BIG trees in this weekend. Hooked up with a local guy who wanted to get rid of a few 20'+ trees, so I got them transplanted over. Very excited!

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    That's awesome!

Now......:postpics:

Indeed. Here are three pics showing some of what I transplanted..

This is a about 22' red maple. For scale, those pines are about 5', the fence is 4'
    2ewp2qf.jpg

This is a silver birch, probably 18 - 20'.
    1z4wlj8.jpg

And here was our smaller catch for the day, about a 15' red maple. You can see a bigger maple, and a river birch in the background.
    20gzk3o.jpg

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Those trees would have cost a small fortune at a regular nursery. That's a great score for freebie trees!

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Planted 25 2'-3' pine trees this past weekend. Got them as a package deal on ebay, pretty happy with them for the price paid. I think that brings my total for this spring to just over 75 trees planted!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    That's awesome. It's amazing how fast the numbers add up with how many trees you can plant. 75 trees is a lot of quality time with a shovel.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Just in case anyone is curious, but right now is the time to go to the big box stores and buy trees. Lowes has them for 50% off right now. Last night I bought 5 apple trees, 3 peaches, 2 pears, 3 red oaks, and 1 plum for about $13 a piece. These trees averaged about 6' high or more and would normally cost about $25 a piece. For less than $200, I've got another small orchard. With three little kids who will someday become food craved teenagers I'll look back at this some day as some of the best money I ever spent. Some of these trees will be used to reinforce the existing orchard, and some of these trees are going to be used to start a new smaller orchard in a different location.

Two is one, one is none. With these new trees, I'll try a completely different type of pruning techniques and see which way I like better.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Good tip on this being the time to buy. I just bought some trees at my local farm store for 50% off. I bought a Nectarine, a 3 in 1 pear tree, 2 blue berry bushes, a nice grape vine, and very healthy Norway spruce.

The spuce trees were only $3 a piece, I'd like to plant a row of them on the back of my property, but the goats and cows would probably just eat them, since it is in their pasture.

Top Bottom