• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I had to empty my 24X36 garage on Sunday for the kid's graduation party this Saturday. Backed up our 30 foot flatbed trailer, put everything not bolted down onto it, and backed the trailer back into the barn.

My wife commented on how nice the garage looks all cleaned out. I told to build me a pole barn and the garage can stay like this all the time. She told me I can move everything back on Sunday.:(

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Thanks... I was beginning to wonder if anybody was even paying attention to this thread.

End of day 6.... Concrete was supposed to be tomorrow, but nobody has any trucks available, so its postponed until we can get it scheduled.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I bought two rolls of flashing instead of step flashing like he had asked.... I know its flashed because I cut the roll into squares and bent them myself... so step flashing. I also have ice and water in each valley and put a few extra rows on the breezeway part on the back of the house because I am going to have to put the ice stops in there to keep the snow from sliding off onto my outside unit for the heat pump.

and HOLY CRAP ice and water is expensive.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I bought two rolls of flashing instead of step flashing like he had asked.... I know its flashed because I cut the roll into squares and bent them myself... so step flashing. I also have ice and water in each valley and put a few extra rows on the breezeway part on the back of the house because I am going to have to put the ice stops in there to keep the snow from sliding off onto my outside unit for the heat pump.

and HOLY CRAP ice and water is expensive.

Yeah, I&W is expensive........but it is the only way to go. It has turned non roofers into roofers.....for better or worse. If you really want the expensive stuff, buy Grace....it is amazing how sticky it is and it wont tear like most I&W. I usually cut my own step flashing as well out of 24" trim coil. You would be surprised how many add-ons I go to for leaks.......and they either caulked them with no flashing, or used cheap shiny aluminum coil that splits with time.

In a perfect world......I would have removed the siding and ran the I&W 18" up wall behind siding and then 18" out on roof......that way ice dams have no way of backing up over flashing and getting in. But removing the siding is kind of a pain.

Regardless......I love your place man. It looks very good.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    If would have known to put ice and water under the siding I would have.... that's really the only spot that has me concerned. Ill just have to keep an eye on it. That part of the house has southern exposure as well so it will see some freeze and thaw.... and it will have ice blocks to keep the snow from sliding off onto my outside unit, so the possibilities are adding up.... If I do run into an issue I am pretty confidant that the builder will come back and make it right.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    If would have known to put ice and water under the siding I would have.... that's really the only spot that has me concerned. Ill just have to keep an eye on it. That part of the house has southern exposure as well so it will see some freeze and thaw.... and it will have ice blocks to keep the snow from sliding off onto my outside unit, so the possibilities are adding up.... If I do run into an issue I am pretty confidant that the builder will come back and make it right.

With Southern exposure you should be good to go....the heat will warm shingles enough that you shouldn't have a problem. I always worry about North sides of steep roofs....because they get no winter sunlight the shingles never warm, but yet heat transfers thru the attic and OSB melting the bottom of the snow on the roof, then with no sunlight it re-freezes and ice dams start to form, then the cycle repeats until outdoors warms enough to melt the ice.

As for I&W under siding......that is kind of one of my corny things I do. It is not always possible to do it because sometimes the expense just outweighs the usefulness. I always do it when possible or on new construction......but on an add on or re-roofing it is just not always possible unless I am already siding and roofing a house at the same time. The good thing for you is if it leaks....it will just leak in your garage, shouldn't cause any problems with insulation or drywall in house......but I seriously doubt you ever have a problem.

Out of curiosity...was your house stick framed or a modular home? I use to set modular homes and finish them......really enjoyed that stuff.

Top Bottom