• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Modular..... And I have to say of all the houses in the price range of what we paid, what I ended up with is by far my favorite.... I am not the type that would say that just because its mine either.... the quality of this house is proven to be pretty amazing.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Now that I am thinking about it.... after this winter if it looks like the snow doesn't melt off that part of the roof in a timely mannor I will add some snow melt wire to just that part... that will help with keeping the snow from accumulating enough to slide off onto my outside unit.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I use to set and finish modular homes for Mid-West Homes. I can honestly say I would just as soon have a modular as stick framed. They are built very well. I imagine yours is 2x6 exterior walls? My only gripe about them was the shingles use to buckle when we would unfold our roofs because of coil metal at hinges. But I have been told they no longer use metal on hinges. I have not set a modular in over 15 years. Did they crane yours onto foundation? We use to have to roll them on foundations.......because we were building on little lots at the lake........with lots of trees, couldn't lift them in place.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Craned it on.... My dads was craned on in Kentucky as well and it required two different 90 degree turns to avoid trees. 2x6 exterior walls r21 and r44 in the attic. Site build dormers and obviously garage. I build the decks. I really couldn't be happier with our decision. Even with the garage well septic and house upgrades I have less than 100 dollars a square foot into it AND the land.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I am really happy with modular for this reason

Here are my square footages

First floor 2,040
    walk up attic (unfinished for now) 1,050
    Back porch 576
    Garage 1,768
    Barn 768

Total square footage under roof 6,202

What I have paid for things.... I don't have a problem sharing since what I paid for the house and land is already public record (recorded mortgages) and also because this information might help others who wonder what some of this stuff costs. I know in my research I wish people were more open about what things cost.

Land (6 acres with a LARGE creek, 4 of the acres are wooded but also flood plain) 42000
    House, well and septic 174000
    Barn (24x32) 9000
    Garage and back porch 34000

259000 is what I have in it so far. Not my mortgage because we were able to pay cash for so much of it.

that comes out to be 41.76 cents a square foot of total space under roof.

If you take out the land, then all of my space under roof cost me 34.99 a square foot

If you don't count the porch or the barn (not insulated or conditioned) is just a little over 41 dollars a square foot

And I guess the way it would be done for real estate (figuring this one as if I never paid for the garage)

then its cost me 56.39 cents for the house, and the land well and septic.

Or to be REALLY picky it cost 105.88 cents a square foot of finished living space including well septic and land, not including the footage of the attic, garage porch or barn.

I just don't think that can be touched on a site build project.

Last edited:

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    Are you going to surface mount your electric in conduit, or run it through the studs and under whatever wall covering you use?

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    are you going to move that condenser out of the alcove?.....with no wind moving it could give you trouble with high head pressure on 90f + days.......looking good!!!!!

btw my polebarn house finished with new furniture though out is 23.74 per square foot at 2400sqft.....

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I wasn't planning on moving it.... but if I start to have issues I can.... The flip side, is that it will almost always be in the shade where it is at, and it has not had ANY trouble these last few weeks in the upper 80's keeping up with the house. I think its a very well balanced system.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    sooo... I ended up wiring for 19 outlets, have enough for 4 220v outlets, and 14 t5 led fixtures. but its done right and to code.... I already passed my final inspection so I didn't HAVE to follow code, but I did anyways. I think.

and a better floor drain pic

I have 444 alum coming into the panel from its own disconnect off the 420 amp meter. then I have 224 alum direct burial coming out of that panel on a 100 amp breaker to feed a 100 amp panel in the barn which will then feed the small livestock shed. Tomorrow plywood around the top hopefully, and some siding, Tuesday will be the metal ceiling, then hopefully we can pour concrete weds. who knows though... this weather is really setting the builder back big time.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I wish my garage was that big. It is just big enough to fit two cars with nothing else in it. My wifes car gets pulled in in front of the heater and hot water heater. I back my car into the garage on the other side and have about six inches to spare to be able to shut the door (and I have a mid sized car).

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    almost done.... I changed to a batter back up opener, and they didn't have the device to hook the opener up to my I phone, so they are coming back to install that. I also changed my mind on the arched windows for the front, and lowered the windows to eye level so I can see out to the road, so those inserts will be changed to square across.... they also have to bring more hinge and handle hardware for the doors. First round of concrete cleanup is done, but I think I am going to have to buy a pressure washer and a squeegee to get it clean enough for floor epoxy. Much more work ahead of me.

I also regarded the driveway and topped it with the left over gravel.... MUCH MUCH smoother now. I am sure it will need to be topped once a year for another 5 years or so to keep it in tip top shape.

Coming up will be trenching for power and water to the barn, installing lights and outlets in the barn and the frost free hydrant. adding gravel around the barn to make implement storage look much better, Floor epoxy, step building, regarding the topped off backfill around the house, seeding, landscape block, flagpole, front porch roof, insulating the ceiling, and heating and air for the garage. LOTS of work ahead of me.

Top Bottom