Regal Cinemas to begin searching patron's bags prior to admission.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Carmike Cinemas in Fort Wayne suddenly began searching purses a couple of weeks ago too. We bought our tickets and when we handed them to the teenager in a vest she asked my wife to open her purse. I promptly said NO and we began walking towards our movie. The young manager was radioed for and she rushed over. This time my wife said NO, we are watching the movie we paid for or you are refunding our money. Our money was promptly refunded. Oddly enough this whole time I was standing there with my CCW.

Third day now and I am still waiting for a response to the letter I sent:

Got a response from the Carmike District Manager and an apology. Appears the teenagers in charge of the theater that night are future MDA trainees keeping the sheep safe. May return but will certainly be with my CCW and a bright flashlight.

We do have signage poster that indicates weapons are not allowed in the theatre. We understand that all our guests are not happy with this decision, but it is our intention to make our guests as comfortable as possible. We shouldn't be checking purses as you had mentioned and I will instruct our management team of proper procedures, but we always check backpacks, large bags, briefcases or something large enough that would raise suspicion. We certainly do not check bags hoping to find store bought snacks and although we do not allow outside food or beverages we are not going to confiscate them unless they are visible.

Wait... so, they have signs indicating weapons are not allowed, "for the comfort of our guests"....check bags "large enough to raise suspicion", and don't allow outside food and drink, but don't confiscate those "unless they are visible"...

So in other words, don't come to our attention, and our policies, unsafe as they are, won't affect you.

Kittyslayer, I think I'd write back to the DM and point out to him that the CO shooter chose that theater specifically because it had a similar policy. Just a thought.
    (and now that you explained it, your screen name is going to make me chuckle when I see it.)

Blessings,
    Bill

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Its my fault guys. When my wife and i go to the movies, she brings the big red purse. It is freakin huge. On our way to the theatre, we stop at the local gas station and fill up the bag with snacks and drinks. The only thing we purchase at the theatre is the tickets. I dont feel bad for this though. $4.50 for a box of reeces pieces? $7.50 for popcorn? $4.00 for a soda? Yeah, i think we will stay home and wait for the movie to come out on blueray.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Its my fault guys. When my wife and i go to the movies, she brings the big red purse. It is freakin huge. On our way to the theatre, we stop at the local gas station and fill up the bag with snacks and drinks. The only thing we purchase at the theatre is the tickets. I dont feel bad for this though. $4.50 for a box of reeces pieces? $7.50 for popcorn? $4.00 for a soda? Yeah, i think we will stay home and wait for the movie to come out on blueray.

I have a bright red concealed carry purse. I picked it up on the cheap because it is so ugly. Very tempting to stick a gun or two in the hidden pockets and load it full of sex toys and skittles and go see a movie. My wife would not be proud but I bet it would spark a conversation.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    We went to Regal 2 days with my CCW tucked in my IWB holster at about 4:30/5:00. I wondered how things were going to go down. We purchased our tickets without issues, but the ticket taker asked to look inside of my wife's purse. About 3 seconds later, we were in and went right up to the concession stand counter. No metal detectors, no wands or pat downs.

If it is that easy, I do not see the wisdom in bag-checking.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    We went to Regal 2 days with my CCW tucked in my IWB holster at about 4:30/5:00. I wondered how things were going to go down. We purchased our tickets without issues, but the ticket taker asked to look inside of my wife's purse. About 3 seconds later, we were in and went right up to the concession stand counter. No metal detectors, no wands or pat downs.

If it is that easy, I do not see the wisdom in bag-checking.

I feel like the part they are worrying about is that you went to the concession stand right after going through. I feel like by "checking for a gun" they are just effectively making more money by making people buy from them and not letting them bring anything in... I went to a movie last Friday and two ladies in front of me started pulling things out of their purses.

If they were really concerned about guns they'd be checking more than bags.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    "although we do not allow outside food or beverages we are not going to confiscate them unless they are visible." Um....... No, not even then. I don't give a $#!+ whose house or whose rules, why does this fool think he has the authority to confiscate personal property?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    "although we do not allow outside food or beverages we are not going to confiscate them unless they are visible." Um....... No, not even then. I don't give a $#!+ whose house or whose rules, why does this fool think he has the authority to confiscate personal property?

House rules. Dont like them, dont go. I have a nice home theater setup. (you can too for not too much cash) While I'm not a fan of seeing movies 6 months after they come out, they are just as good to me. Hell, I can watch them in my underwear drinking a beer if I wish. The last time I tried that on a new release I got trespassed from AMC and a public intox charge... :laugh:

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    House rules. Dont like them, dont go. I have a nice home theater setup. (you can too for not too much cash) While I'm not a fan of seeing movies 6 months after they come out, they are just as good to me. Hell, I can watch them in my underwear drinking a beer if I wish. The last time I tried that on a new release I got trespassed from AMC and a public intox charge... :laugh:

No, I'm still not going for it house rules or not. There is no legality in "confiscating" personal property. Do you think that if I came to YOUR house, perhaps to watch a six month old movie on a pretty decent home theater, that you could take and keep ("confiscate") my wallet? Maybe my shoes? Na-babba-na, brother. Thieves go to jail. I would love to see these jokers try to confiscate ANYTHING from me. The best they could do is ask me too leave..

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    No, I'm still not going for it house rules or not. There is no legality in "confiscating" personal property. Do you think that if I came to YOUR house, perhaps to watch a six month old movie on a pretty decent home theater, that you could take and keep ("confiscate") my wallet? Maybe my shoes? Na-babba-na, brother. Thieves go to jail. I would love to see these jokers try to confiscate ANYTHING from me. The best they could do is ask me too leave..

Yep. I agree with you. They give you the option; surrender the contraband snacks, or turn in your ticket for a refund (hopefully) and exit the way you came in. Choose which is best for you... give up the snacks or dont watch the show. Or do like I do and be better at sneaking than they are at checking. :):

Hell, I managed to sneak in a full size SLR camera with telephoto lens and two multiplier lenses into a Genesis concert in the RCA dome in only a field jacket and cargo pants. Each cargo pocket held a different piece/lens. I felt like a spy in a Bond movie with one of those rifles that breaks down. I used a full size binocular case as a distraction. They were so hell-bent on catching me sneaking in booze or something in that hard case they lost all interest in the rest of me when they found the binoculars. Though my cover was almost blown when a buddy's dipsh*** cousin who was with us saw the "no cameras" sign and said a bit too loudly as we were walking up to the doors "Hey! You cant bring that camera in! LOOK!" :facepalm:

gummergif

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2015
    REDACTED
    I'll happily hand over my bag for them to search. Go ahead, stick your fingers right in there.

As far as I can tell, there's nothing in their rules prohibiting backpacks filled with mousetraps. Hey, I'm just heading to a Rube Goldberg competition after the movie! I wasn't expecting a sort of Spanish Inquisition.

Last edited:

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne

I don't know about the underwear, but there is a theater in Fort Wayne with a full menu including beer and wine.

Top Bottom