• ...and so much more!
  • Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    It's important to train. Here's a pic my buddy took of me at our last load out dry run.

View attachment 312098
    I see a hernia coming on in the next 3 or 4 steps. I wonder where he is hiding the 2 wheeled dolly in that ......mess of stuff!

After further detailed study and a lot of thinking on it I have reached the conclusion that everything is packed with inflated balloons (probably helium). Now I need a nap to recover from all that thinking!

KomboJoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2013
    Paragon
    What would be required carry into battle in today's environment?
    What calibers, and how many magazines each?
    And other gear that one would take?

Mine: AR-10 with 12 + 1 Mags, M1911A with 6 +1 Mags and my Father's black K-Bar knife used in Vietnam. Recent use: M4 5.56x45 12 + 1 Mags M9 9MM 6 + 1 Mags (Limited) and after market K-Bar knife.
    12 mags is probably a little much. The best thing to remember is your going to want to get low to the ground a lot, so a bunch of mags on your chest might not be the best idea.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    You must have a poncho and liner. AKA "woobie"
    Poncho liner is one of my very favorite pieces of gear. If you keep all your clothes on you could ranger roll yourself in a woobie and poncho and do alright down into the low 50s. I like to tote mine along with a patrol bag. Laying on the bag under the woobie, in the bag with the woobie over it, or mummified in the woobie inside the bag are three progressively warm ways to use it.

Dholcomb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 14, 2022
    Indiana
    In these battle/survival type situations I always think of how many would die from medical emergencies like diabetic/cardiac related incidents from lack of med access. Then with time how many would die from basic infections. In these situations the gun I have or how many mags/rounds is irrelevant. Most of us are probably prepared enough on that front that if we go through what we have and happen to survive, we likely have much much bigger problems ahead.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I've looked through this thread several times. The purpose escapes me, completely. Was the original intent of it serious? Was it a play looking for ridiculous answers? Honestly, I don't get it. If the doodoo ever seriously hits the fan, your biggest needs will be food, shelter, and medical care. Big negatory on the guns and bullets, my friends. Lots of folks have concentrated on firearms and ammo. Even the best equipped army in the world (US, of course) falls flat on its face without the Big3. No way an individual grunt can carry enough arms/ammo to last more than a day or two in a SHTF situation. The supply chain is key. Look at the battle history of WWII, in Europe and the South Pacific. Take ground (ammo required), EXTEND SUPPLY CHAIN to keep troops stocked with EVERYTHING, lather, rinse, repeat. George Washington and George Patton both knew and army travels on its stomach. Smart, well-trained troops can pull off near miracles (Khe Sanh, Remagen) with little arms/ammo and a lot of ingenuity. They can't do it hungry, exposed, and injured. Need proof on the other side of the coin? Hitler's push into Russia is a fine example. Millions of troops, more ammo than they could possibly use, no food, no shelter, no medical care. Herr Hitler got his ass handed to him on a platter. Why? Because he was a military and logistical dipstick. Don't be a dipstick.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    You must have a poncho and liner. AKA "woobie"
    To this day, I keep a usgi poncho in my vehicle, but I've swapped out my poncho liners for a helikon swagman roll. I've had that thing since '19 and it's been an underquilt, cold weather layer, blanket, quilt, pillow, you name it more times than I can count.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    This whole conversation, if being taken seriously should probably be in the survival section of the forum. My combat experience overseas is very limited, but I'll say this much. If you can't run for your life with all your gear, you need to be in better shape and have less gear on. If you don't routinely go backpacking and spend a night outdoors then you don't have your gear matched to your current abilities. If you think you're going to live through daily firefights by yourself against larger forces, you're wrong. Military action is just the highest form of gang warfare there is, so the more friends and firepower you can bring to a fight the better off you'll be. Reality is you're darn lucky if you've got a handful of guys you're aligned with enough and have trained with enough and have trust in enough that they'd take chances with you that could lead into a battle of some kind. I'm not talking about stupid trashy bar fighting friends where everyone walks away when it's done, I'm talking about guys that know this fight might be their final dirt nap.

If you can avoid all this confrontation by preparing with enough food and medicine to help your neighbors through a historical rough patch then you can take all the fear out there and turn into a community building blessing. I'm willing to bet everyone on this forum has enough guns and ammo to get them through whatever may come if they kept their head down and kept calm.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    I've looked through this thread several times. The purpose escapes me, completely. Was the original intent of it serious? Was it a play looking for ridiculous answers? Honestly, I don't get it. If the doodoo ever seriously hits the fan, your biggest needs will be food, shelter, and medical care. Big negatory on the guns and bullets, my friends. Lots of folks have concentrated on firearms and ammo. Even the best equipped army in the world (US, of course) falls flat on its face without the Big3. No way an individual grunt can carry enough arms/ammo to last more than a day or two in a SHTF situation. The supply chain is key. Look at the battle history of WWII, in Europe and the South Pacific. Take ground (ammo required), EXTEND SUPPLY CHAIN to keep troops stocked with EVERYTHING, lather, rinse, repeat. George Washington and George Patton both knew and army travels on its stomach. Smart, well-trained troops can pull off near miracles (Khe Sanh, Remagen) with little arms/ammo and a lot of ingenuity. They can't do it hungry, exposed, and injured. Need proof on the other side of the coin? Hitler's push into Russia is a fine example. Millions of troops, more ammo than they could possibly use, no food, no shelter, no medical care. Herr Hitler got his ass handed to him on a platter. Why? Because he was a military and logistical dipstick. Don't be a dipstick.
    It's like what they say: "Amateurs talk tactics while professionals talk logistics".

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Leave out emergency situations for now..

Even if your just out shooting.. competitively, or else wise.. its kinda nice to not have to go to a fiddle table behind the range line, or to shoot in places where there isn't a fiddle table.

I tend to go places to shoot where there isn't such infrastructure. So a load bearing set that holds some basic stuff for a day is kinda nice. Mag pouches, some water, some light first aid stuff, lunch, whatever.. light stuff. And if you want a pistol, LBE style retention holster with lanyard. (sucks to loose your pistol out in the boonies)

1700146680364.jpeg

And it doesn't even have to be LBE, you could go for an LE style Duty Belt type setup.. (I have one I am working for my M9, and a couple Italian ones for some of the Beretta's I have)

1700148092940.jpeg

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    After studying this subject for nearly a decade, I've come to a greater appreciation of our founding fathers and what an incredible feat they performed in building a nation. I fear that we currently stand in the critical juncture where one great empire is in its twilight while another great empire is about to dawn.

XXXIX Summary From Sir John Glubb's The Fate of Empires and Search for Survival

(a) We do not learn from history because our studies are brief and prejudiced.
    (b) In a surprising manner, 250 years emerges as the average length of national greatness.
    (c) This average has not varied for 3,000 years. Does it represent ten generations?
    (d) The stages of the rise and fall of great nations seem to be:
    1. The Age of Pioneers (outburst)
    2. The Age of Conquests
    3. The Age of Commerce
    4. The Age of Affluence
    5. The Age of Intellect
    6. The Age of Decadence
    (e) Decadence is marked by: Defensiveness, Pessimism, Materialism, Frivolity, An influx of foreigners, The Welfare State, A weakening of religion.
    (f) Decadence is due to: Too long a period of wealth and power, Selfishness, Love of money, The loss of a sense of duty.
    (g) The life histories of great states are amazingly similar, and are due to internal factors.
    (h) Their falls are diverse, because they are largely the result of external causes.
    (i) History should be taught as the history of the human race, though of course with emphasis on the history of the student’s own country.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    If you can avoid all this confrontation by preparing with enough food and medicine to help your neighbors through a historical rough patch then you can take all the fear out there and turn into a community building blessing. I'm willing to bet everyone on this forum has enough guns and ammo to get them through whatever may come if they kept their head down and kept calm.
    That is exactly what I did for the 2K scare. Over the summer/fall of '99, I stocked up heavily on canned food, firewood, gasoline, LP and other such necessities. At the time I lived out in corn country south of Bremen/Nappanee. I even put $1,000 cash in the safe. One of my redneck neighbors asked, "You got enough ammo to protect all that?" My reply, "I didn't buy it to guard it. I bought it to share it."

BravoOneFour

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jan 20, 2023
    kokomo
    What would be required carry into battle in today's environment?
    What calibers, and how many magazines each?
    And other gear that one would take?

Mine: AR-10 with 12 + 1 Mags, M1911A with 6 +1 Mags and my Father's black K-Bar knife used in Vietnam. Recent use: M4 5.56x45 12 + 1 Mags M9 9MM 6 + 1 Mags (Limited) and after market K-Bar knife.
    "Requirements" are mission driven, but as a general rule of thumb you want a combat load of your caliber, plus sustainment, the more the better. A 3 day bag, medical, night vision or thermal, and food and medical. I can tell you what my general use kit is.

Either my AR or AK depending on the situation, my AR is more range based, my AK is more urban and NOD use centered. Both are in 5.56 so I want at least 13 magazines on my person plus 300 rounds of sustainment.
    My Glock 17 is with 3 20 round mags on belt. The chances of needing a side arm aren't high so I don't carry extra mags.

My plate carrier is the full loaded FCPCV5. It has all of my radio system routed through it but can be swapped into a chest rig for light weight work.
    My carrier has an IFAK dangler in the front, and carries my mini chem stick dispenser as well as an admin pouch. Plus magazine storage of course. And it can carrier a camelbak for water as well as my flash bang pouches. As well as a padded PVS14 pouch.

My belt is Estac and carries my pistol mags, a rifle mag, my duty holster and a dump pouch.

My bump helmet has my comtacs and everything I need to run my PVS14.

As for what I carry in my pack, it's all the general sustainment you would need.

I'm sure I'm forgetting plenty but that's the gist. Don't underestimate the importance of night vision and thermal. It's used by every force. If you don't have it, you are completely handicapped for nearly half the day that's darkness.

Top Bottom