• Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    IMG_3048.jpeg
    First sighted them off our shoreline in late Feb. or early March this year. Next morning had these heads left on my seawall and a ”new” type of excrement full of fish scales nearby in my yard. Have had sightings off and on since mostly dawn and dusk ( most activity is nocturnal ) but have seen them also mid-day.

DNR began reintroducing them in various IN locations 30 years ago...closest to me was head waters of Elkhart River in Noble Co. They then migrated west to Elkhart Co. and then south to our county of Kosciusko Co. Know couple people whose stocked ponds have been cleaned out.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    When river otters were originally thriving, what did they eat? Why have they become a problem after being re-introduced? Surely these newer arrivals don't eat any more than they did before their numbers declined and they had to be re-introduced?

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Saw 15 otter today on the Eel River. Did 24 miles from Chili to Logansport. Got video but doubt it will download here…nope. Ok how about this dead fresh buck…
    IMG_2894.jpeg

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    They have/had them at Springmill state park in Mitchell. People were complaining they were eating up the fish.
    Otters in the Spring Mill area? We need to get @GodFearinGunTotin on the case!

Several years back somebody came up with the bright idea to introduce beavers in the Campbellsburg area. C-Burg has a factory where they make pressed-metal parts. They have a pond out in front where they cool the water for the plant (steam rising in the winter.) The beavers built a dam in the cooling pond with trees they chewed down from the local's yards!! Hot tub!!!

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    When river otters were originally thriving, what did they eat? Why have they become a problem after being re-introduced? Surely these newer arrivals don't eat any more than they did before their numbers declined and they had to be re-introduced?
    They wipe out people’s ponds of fish. Many have blamed them on declining small mouth bass in rivers. I can only say I know they destroy ponds from what land owners have told me.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I am off the Big Blue river in the southern most county before it runs into the Ohio, we have otters. They cleaned out my pond, cleaned out the river and cleaned out several other peoples ponds around here.

One called the DNR to complain and was told, "not to worry, they will leave when all the fish are gone". Sounds like one heck of a management plan to me.

The DNR did a sampling from the Blue and found 90% of the fish were Goggle-eye which is a concern since we have Asian carp. (I guess they don't factor in invasive species) We use to catch 22-24in Smallies, now I forget what one looks like...

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I am off the Big Blue river in the southern most county before it runs into the Ohio, we have otters. They cleaned out my pond, cleaned out the river and cleaned out several other peoples ponds around here.

One called the DNR to complain and was told, "not to worry, they will leave when all the fish are gone". Sounds like one heck of a management plan to me.

The DNR did a sampling from the Blue and found 90% of the fish were Goggle-eye which is a concern since we have Asian carp. (I guess they don't factor in invasive species) We use to catch 22-24in Smallies, now I forget what one looks like...
    Way to go idnr!!!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    View attachment 292239
    First sighted them off our shoreline in late Feb. or early March this year. Next morning had these heads left on my seawall and a ”new” type of excrement full of fish scales nearby in my yard. Have had sightings off and on since mostly dawn and dusk ( most activity is nocturnal ) but have seen them also mid-day.

DNR began reintroducing them in various IN locations 30 years ago...closest to me was head waters of Elkhart River in Noble Co. They then migrated west to Elkhart Co. and then south to our county of Kosciusko Co. Know couple people whose stocked ponds have been cleaned out.

from my youth off the doctor demento show

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I tried posting but it wouldn’t let me.

On North American Rescue FB page (it’s a page on medial trama and treatment) there was a lady that was attacked by an aggressive otter in Montana. They aren’t as cute as they look!!!

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I tried posting but it wouldn’t let me.

On North American Rescue FB page (it’s a page on medial trama and treatment) there was a lady that was attacked by an aggressive otter in Montana. They aren’t as cute as they look!!!
    I will be forever confused as to why people reply to a thread before even reading the first post

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    This is a trail camera pic from the edge of our front field. This spot is more than a half of a mile from Blue river.
    1691973343168.jpeg
    It is almost another half mile from here to my back pond they cleaned out. I never would have thought an otter would walk over a mile on dry ground to get to an isolated pond but they did.

Top Bottom