• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Again, I will ask... Way back before the otters were "endangered"... like back in the 1700's... What kept them from eating all the fish? Why are they now apparently wiping out fish populations when (presumably) it wasn't a problem before?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Again, I will ask... Way back before the otters were "endangered"... like back in the 1700's... What kept them from eating all the fish? Why are they now apparently wiping out fish populations when (presumably) it wasn't a problem before?

What sort of critters were around back then that ate otters that are not here today? I have no idea, but usually when populations of critters keep increasing it's because of the removal of a predator and or an increase in food.

You can reintroduce predators, but that is no guarantee they will go after wild animals that are harder to catch than domestic cats and small dogs.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    What sort of critters were around back then that ate otters that are not here today? I have no idea, but usually when populations of critters keep increasing it's because of the removal of a predator and or an increase in food.

You can reintroduce predators, but that is no guarantee they will go after wild animals that are harder to catch than domestic cats and small dogs.
    That's what I was thinking. Probably not as many natural predators.

Hey, I have an idea! Lets create a genetically modified piranha that only eats river otters. I mean, what could go wrong?

It's not nice to fool Mother Nature. ;)

iu

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I had an answer on post 32, quoting you but for some reason I can’t edit it, and I’m not sure another post I had on here showed up either.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I don't think there are any as far south as Indy (yet). I remember when they were re-introducing them up near Delphi back in the early 80's.
    They started out well south of Indy and have been expanding for decades. Many of the initial re-stockings were in the southern half of the state, Patoka in particular was a major re-stocking location.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    A few reasons come to mind in addition to Leadeye's excellent point about the lack of predators to control the otters. First, in the 1700s the fish were used to dealing with otter predation. Now, otters are basically brand new predators on the scene.

Second, and more likely IMO, the fish and otters were and are likely in a boom-bust cycle like many predator/prey relationships. The otters will basically eat fish until there are no longer enough fish to support the otter population, at which point it will crash and the fish will return.

Third, stocked ponds weren't nearly as prevalent in the 1700s. Ponds are both easy feeding for the otters and easy to observe the predation in due to their relatively small size and fish populations.

Top Bottom