• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I carry a compact 1911 daily and I totally agree with Pincus on his statements for about 90% of the brands on the market.

My background with compact 1911s is that I own MANY DOZENS of them, I've owned them from many different companies. I've been shooting compact 1911s for longer than most people on this forum have been alive. I own (reported by others) to be one of the largest collections in the world of one brand of compact 1911 pistols. And all that said, I don't think most compact 1911s are reliable enough to carry.

I know of one brand that is reliable enough to carry. One brand. Only one.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    3 sounds like it's too short. Never tried it myself, but I've read a lot of stories. Just doesn't apply force quite long enough to cycle the action properly, like it's right on the edge of working. I've been confident to carry a 3.5. I've had FTF, rarely, but they seemed to be mag related, and that's 12-14 rounds deep. Never an FTE. I need to meet you sometime, see your collection, then go home and put on fresh pants.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I carry a compact 1911 daily and I totally agree with Pincus on his statements for about 90% of the brands on the market.

My background with compact 1911s is that I own MANY DOZENS of them, I've owned them from many different companies. I've been shooting compact 1911s for longer than most people on this forum have been alive. I own (reported by others) to be one of the largest collections in the world of one brand of compact 1911 pistols. And all that said, I don't think most compact 1911s are reliable enough to carry.

I know of one brand that is reliable enough to carry. One brand. Only one.

Just so I understand, what barrel length are you talking about when you say "compact"? The video refers to 3" and under and calls them a "sub-compact". I am not real familiar with all the terminology yet; commander, officers, compact, etc.

Do you consider a 4'-4.25" barrel 1911 a compact? Thanks.:)

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Do you consider a 4'-4.25" barrel 1911 a compact? Thanks.:)

4" or longer is NOT a compact. That is generally considered a "Commander" length.

3" = "Officer" size or Compact size. These are available from most every manufacturer of 1911 pistols. There are very few that produce a 3.5" barrel gun, but they are worth seeking out if you want reliability.

He owns a buttload . . .
    I prefer to carry my guns in a holster.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    4" or longer is NOT a compact. That is generally considered a "Commander" length.

3" = "Officer" size or Compact size. These are available from most every manufacturer of 1911 pistols. There are very few that produce a 3.5" barrel gun, but they are worth seeking out if you want reliability.

I prefer to carry them in a holster.

So I am okay looking for a 4" version it sounds like. Thanks.:yesway:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    So I am okay looking for a 4" version it sounds like. Thanks.:yesway:

Yup, you hear very few problems with that length barrel.

The problems come with slide timing of the guns as they shrink them. The only real way to make them reliable is to effectively redesign them to the point that they barely resemble the original John Browning 1911 slide/barrel configuration. The geometry and the timing must be changed. The barrels are almost universally now bull barrels with ramps/cones near the end of the barrel, some are more successful than others, few companies really take the time to perfect the operation.

Even with 3.5" guns there are some that are less successful than others.

Bob45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Metamora
    Kimbers Compact is a Commander 4" barrel on a Officers frame. I have a Series 1 that has never malfunctioned. Its on my list of guns Ill never sell

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I agree with the video....I have a 5in version of a 1911 and my friend has exact gun but in the 3 in. He has had a ton of issues with his. I have had next to none. He has since sold his and went to the way 1911s were meant to be...full sized. :)

Bob45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Metamora
    The kimbers Ultra is the smallest, the Compact is the mid size slide, with the officers frame as I said. Compact is the model name

Bob45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Metamora
    Im aware of that, I was just describing the model of the gun by the name that the people who made it call it. Thats what I usually do, it saves a lot of confusion. Not looking for an argument my friend

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    My Ultra Carry (3") has gone 2.5k rounds and I consider it reliable enough to be my EDC.
    I think if anybody has problems with theirs, they should send them to me for extensive testing. :)

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    I absolutely agree with Rob and was in a course when one failed. Another reason why I stick with Glocks and highly suggest them to others. I would not suggest a firearm that could fail during a critical dynamic incident.

Top Bottom