• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bulldogs42

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 26, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I have the SR9c in stainless. It was my first 9mm and it's my nightstand gun. It's pretty accurate, of course if I would practice more I'm sure it would be even better. I like that it comes with a 17 round mag and a 10 round mag and the manual safety. I recommend it as nice semi-auto in 9mm.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    My Ruger SR9c was my first pistol, and remains my EDC. I have made no modifications to it. I like the weight of the trigger, and the loaded-chamber indicator has zero impact on your sight picture. The manual safety is a non-issue. I carry mine with the safety disengaged, and engage it when it is off-body.

If you want to add a laser, there's a rail and room to do so; otherwise, there's not much in the way of modifications. I'm sure you could get a trigger job, as with pretty much any pistol. I left the magazine disconnect in place, mainly due to my preference to have absolutely no modifications on my EDC. (I can just see some unscrupulous prosecutor, after a DGU, trying to make hay out of a lighter-than-factory-stock trigger, or removal of a "critical safety device" as evidence of some intent of something or other.)

At the end of the day, especially for the price, you can't go wrong. Even if you end up wanting something different later, you've still only spent $400 for a pistol that, at the very least, I can guarantee you'll have fun shooting.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I sold one and regretted it so I bought another, I will keep this one. I find the SR9C a good fit for my hands and like the options of mag capacity. No mods needed for me to be happy it.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    [video=youtube_share;8dHXND_9-bE]http://youtu.be/8dHXND_9-bE[/video]

FWIW, this video is outdated. Ruger no longer has the separate little hole in the striker plate cover. I went to remove that part at the shop and was flummoxed. Now there is a little grove in the bottom of the hole where you see the striker. You have to press in there. I use a really fine tip punch, but a paper clip also works.

Also, sometimes Ruger tends to put a lot of grease in the area of the striker. The gun will work fine for a while, but once gunk starts mixing with that grease the striker channel can get gummy and you may have some light primer strikes. I always clean that out and lube with some type of dry lubricant.

Even so, I think that the SR9C is the perfect first gun or the perfect gun for the person that is going to own one gun (I know, who does that?).

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I've got an SR9c, as well as several Glocks and others. The SR9c is just hard to beat. It is accurate, and after about 500 rounds, the trigger comes into its own. (It is a MUCH better trigger than on the Glocks, IMO), and the flexibility with the mags is great. I love the way it feels and shoots. The sights are great, too.

I mostly carry a Glock 43 in the summer, but when it starts cooling off and I wear thicker clothing, I go back to the 9c with the 10 round mag.

My brother just bought an SR9c, and I know several others with them. Every one of them loves theirs. I've also seen a couple used ones here on INGO for sale for really low prices, with low round counts. You can get a real steal, for sure, if you are patient and watchful.

obidya

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    So this afternoon I borrowed Paco's SR9C and took it out and shot it along side a Glock 19. Im kinda in love. Right off the bat first shot was dead on target, it felt completely natural, the trigger behaved as I expected it to and I was able to shoot fairly accurately. I shot the Glock 19 as well, and while liking it... Loved the SR9C. The guy I was shooting with even commented on how much better the grip and trigger felt than he was expecting.

At this point I kinda feel like I'm officially looking for a black on black Ruger SR9C

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I saw that VERT is already in this thread, and I think he did a fantastic thread awhile back about choosing your first handgun. Check it out, it may help you think through some things. Link is HERE

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    So this afternoon I borrowed Paco's SR9C and took it out and shot it along side a Glock 19. Im kinda in love. Right off the bat first shot was dead on target, it felt completely natural, the trigger behaved as I expected it to and I was able to shoot fairly accurately. I shot the Glock 19 as well, and while liking it... Loved the SR9C. The guy I was shooting with even commented on how much better the grip and trigger felt than he was expecting.

At this point I kinda feel like I'm officially looking for a black on black Ruger SR9C

This has been my experience. Taken folks to the range with the SR9c, and variety of other guns, glocks, m&p's, sigs, etc. More times then not, they shoot the 9c the best, and that's what they purchase.

Trigger job I was referring to is polishing two points of engagement. Sorry, my search fu isn't coming up with a good video at the moment.

obidya

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    This has been my experience. Taken folks to the range with the SR9c, and variety of other guns, glocks, m&p's, sigs, etc. More times then not, they shoot the 9c the best, and that's what they purchase.

Trigger job I was referring to is polishing two points of engagement. Sorry, my search fu isn't coming up with a good video at the moment.

I specifically went with someone who said "I hate Ruger autos" to try and get an overly critical point of view on it. His first shot with it was a dead center and he went... huh
    I walked away with his approval and no downsides.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Here are a couple of pictures I doctored that I hope helps.

First one is the striker, polish the surface marked in red.
    striker.jpg

Next polish the end of this bar, it mates with the same area on the striker when gun is assembled. If you use a magnifying glass, you can see your progress.
    IMG_0336.jpg

The goal is to simply polish, not remove material. Use Jewelers rouge or Flitz Metal Polish.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    I am impressed with the SR9C. Bought it for the wife, but somehow it's gravitated towards me. Guess I'll have to buy another.

The safety is the same as my 1911, so it's a no-brainer for me.
    The loaded-chamber indicator is what it is. (but WHY??)
    Magazine disconnect has disappeared on mine.
    Best trigger in the price range, plus 10 rounds of zombie-killer goodness in a well-concealed package.

What's NOT to love??

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    FYI, it's about a 10 minute job to eliminate the LCI. Use a 3/32" punch to drive the pin out, cut/grind the tab down, and reinstall the bar......easy peasy.

obidya

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Here are a couple of pictures I doctored that I hope helps.

First one is the striker, polish the surface marked in red.
    View attachment 40265

Next polish the end of this bar, it mates with the same area on the striker when gun is assembled. If you use a magnifying glass, you can see your progress.
    View attachment 40266

The goal is to simply polish, not remove material. Use Jewelers rouge or Flitz Metal Polish.

This is now on my list, thanks

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Im not that worried about it but... meh, may have to go for it eventually.

I honestly have never even noticed it. It's completely out of the sight picture. To each, his own; but to me it would seem like a waste of time and effort - not to mention, leaving an ugly gap that may allow more sweat/dirt/grime/etc. inside.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    I honestly have never even noticed it. It's completely out of the sight picture. To each, his own; but to me it would seem like a waste of time and effort - not to mention, leaving an ugly gap that may allow more sweat/dirt/grime/etc. inside.

The tab that contacts the round is all that gets removed.....then the bar gets reinstalled......no gaps ....it just doesn't get lifted....

Top Bottom