• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    My biggest beef with the LCI on my SR9c is the writing on it. I used a piece of Talon grip tape and covered it. Now it's not so obnoxiously ugly.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I am impressed with the SR9C. Bought it for the wife, but somehow it's gravitated towards me. Guess I'll have to buy another.

The safety is the same as my 1911, so it's a no-brainer for me.
    The loaded-chamber indicator is what it is. (but WHY??)
    Magazine disconnect has disappeared on mine.
    Best trigger in the price range, plus 10 rounds of zombie-killer goodness in a well-concealed package.

What's NOT to love??

Loaded indicator So it could be sold in the communist states.

obidya

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    So... I have a buddy at a machine shop who can do black oxide on stainless for super cheap... Can you do that to a pistol slide or would it ruin it?

Last edited:

obidya

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    So I took the borrowed SR9c to the range. Keep in mind this is like my 4th time shooting a pistol.

20150729_143744.jpg

second red line FMJ

20150729_143800.jpg

first red line FMJ

20150729_143714.jpg

quick response drill single shot FMJ

obidya

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    :ugh:
    20150729_143813.jpg

This was with HP+P at 2nd red line, I over compensated in anticipation of it kicking harder. the last 10 rounds were my weird little circle in the 8/9 rings.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    :DI checked back to see if you got one yet. What is the hold up? You know you want it. Just get one already.;)

INGO is always willing to help spend others money.:ingo:

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Let us know and give a review. I am looking to possibly get one of these. Just got my MA license renewed and was granted the hicap/conceal version again , so time to maybe look at a new gun. I have held a full sized SR9 at a store a couple years back and really liked the grip. Thye just started selling Ruger in MA within the last few years.

Tagged for the purchase update.

Last edited:

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I have the SR9c and I like it so-so. It is accurate. It has a lot of safety features that makes the wife comfortable carrying it. I have the 10 rd mag and the 17 rd mag with grip extension. My main complaint is it's picky on ammo. It either fires flawlessly or it jams every other round. Don't know if it's just mine or not but maybe this will help you on ammo purchase. The ammo that works great in mine is Federal, Winchester Nato, Winchester Training, Magtech, and Herter's. The ammo that locks it up like two dogs is Fiocchi, PMC Bronze, Tula. These are all mostly FMJ and mostly 115 grain to 124 grain. There doesn't seem to be any specific reason why one brand jams and another doesn't but it is annoying buying ammo on a trial and error basis. It is also the most hard to rack semi-auto that I have ever had. It's tight. It is relatively easy to clean. I like it but I don't love it.

rausch51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    The Ville
    My first handgun was the SR9c. I thought of it as "entry level" with the intention of replacing it later with something more "serious." Well a couple years and a couple thousand rounds later, I can't find any gun or reason to replace my SR9c.

Unlike Restroyer, I've yet to find an ammo that it won't shoot reliably and accurately; my current favorite being Freedom Munitions reloads.

I do find the slide on the harder side to rack. You just have to be intentional in your motion and really rack it forcefully.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I have the SR9c and I like it so-so. It is accurate. It has a lot of safety features that makes the wife comfortable carrying it. I have the 10 rd mag and the 17 rd mag with grip extension. My main complaint is it's picky on ammo. It either fires flawlessly or it jams every other round. Don't know if it's just mine or not but maybe this will help you on ammo purchase. The ammo that works great in mine is Federal, Winchester Nato, Winchester Training, Magtech, and Herter's. The ammo that locks it up like two dogs is Fiocchi, PMC Bronze, Tula. These are all mostly FMJ and mostly 115 grain to 124 grain. There doesn't seem to be any specific reason why one brand jams and another doesn't but it is annoying buying ammo on a trial and error basis. It is also the most hard to rack semi-auto that I have ever had. It's tight. It is relatively easy to clean. I like it but I don't love it.

Did you do a thorough cleaning of the preservative grease that Ruger puts on it at the factory? That stuff is meant to be cleaned off and the gun properly lubed.
    Do these problems occur no matter who is shooting it? Possibly limp wristing it.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Did you do a thorough cleaning of the preservative grease that Ruger puts on it at the factory? That stuff is meant to be cleaned off and the gun properly lubed.
    Do these problems occur no matter who is shooting it? Possibly limp wristing it.
    Yes, I have cleaned it a lot. Not limpwristing it. Happens to me (ex Army with Expert Badge), my wife (good shooter) and several of my freinds (also ex vets). So we know how to shoot and I am one of those "keep your gun / weapon spotless nuts" so dirt / factory grease is definitely not the problem. The same ammo jams on my weapon for everyone and anyone who shoots it. That said the ammo that I listed that works perfect also never jams no matter who shoots it. I have thought about sending it back to Ruger since it's a weird problem but I really cannot figure out why it is picky on ammo. The same ammo that jams on the SR9c works on other 9mm guns so I have to assume it is my SR9c.

obidya

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Yes, I have cleaned it a lot. Not limpwristing it. Happens to me (ex Army with Expert Badge), my wife (good shooter) and several of my freinds (also ex vets). So we know how to shoot and I am one of those "keep your gun / weapon spotless nuts" so dirt / factory grease is definitely not the problem. The same ammo jams on my weapon for everyone and anyone who shoots it. That said the ammo that I listed that works perfect also never jams no matter who shoots it. I have thought about sending it back to Ruger since it's a weird problem but I really cannot figure out why it is picky on ammo. The same ammo that jams on the SR9c works on other 9mm guns so I have to assume it is my SR9c.

keep in mind I know only what I've been reading... but...
    It actually sounds like your guide rod is flexing when you fire. The stock rod is a plastic rod. Check the sides of the springs for signs of wear if thats the case get one of the galloway steel guide rods, 14lbs if you shoot light, 16lbs for stock, 18lbs if +p and +p+ are your primary rounds. (I've heard the 18lb springs still work well with the lighter target loads but have no personal experience with the matter)

Maybe someone on here can back me up, but when this happens the slide does not rack properly which can cause load and eject conflicts. The reason it may seem ammo specific may just be that particular round hitting it at just the right load strength to cause that rod to flex to the side and not straight back as intended essentially lowering the rods spring rate significantly enough to cause the gun to rack the slide under-powered.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    If that is all true, I'd still contact Ruger first. The steel guide rod might fix it, but it shouldn't be necessary. The Ruger SR series is not generally ammo-sensitive. Restroyer obviously has some background, so although it is reasonable to ask those newbie questions, they don't appear to apply here.

Ruger should be able to fix the problem and has a good customer service reputation. Give them the opportunity.

Edit: I own several Ruger firearms and am happy with all of them. I had a problem with a used Mk3 22/45 and contacted Ruger. There was a part that I thought looked defective and I sent them a picture. They agreed and sent out a replacement part free of charge and that gun has been one of my favorites ever since. :yesway:

Last edited:

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    for everybody complaining about the loaded chamber indicator, buy the sr9e (economy)
    Ruger® 9E® Centerfire Pistol Models

comes with 1 mag and no lci and is black stainless should be about 100 bucks less than the sr9 so that leaves money to buy the second(annd 3rd mag) and still costs less than the sr9!

Top Bottom