• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    The OP must be related to a guy I work with. He too bought a SR9C, a bunch of accessories, and took 6 months before he shot it. INGO is awaiting a range report.

[video=youtube;PDJ_Mz8ftqI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDJ_Mz8ftqI[/video]

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    One word of caution, if printing of any concern to you (it really isn't for me): that finger-extension baseplate can cause some printing issues of its own, depending on how/where you wear your holster. My wife could see it poking out through my shirt at church this morning, but if you didn't know what to look for, I doubt you'd know/guess it was a gun. And nobody else noticed (or said anything).

Personally, I like the finger-extension baseplate, and don't care if it pokes out a bit. With most of my shirts, it's not an issue anyway - only with thin polos like I wore today.

obidya

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    The OP must be related to a guy I work with. He too bought a SR9C, a bunch of accessories, and took 6 months before he shot it. INGO is awaiting a range report.

LOL, hopefully its not going to be that bad, I still need to put together a cleaning kit and get some some ammo. Im hoping to be in the range some time this week.

speaking of cleaning, what kind of kits are preferred for pistols? what kind of oils?

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Since this is your first pistol...
    please don't store it in the pelican case. The foam will destroy the finish in a VERY short time.

Go to the local gun store, big box store, etc. and buy a hoppes cleaning kit.

it's about as basic and effective a set up as you could hope for.

Tdockins

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2015
    Crawfordsville
    I have a Ruger SR9C and I really like it. Yes there are some features I would change like the loaded indicator. Not a bad idea for a gun for a newby but I can see where an experienced shooter would find it annoying. Doesn't affect me when I am shooting it. The SR9C is really a fun gun to shoot and very accurate. I have ran about 300 reloaded rounds through mine and not the first bit of trouble. Hope this helps.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Mine eats anything I have feed it. Accuracy really surprised me, being a semiauto, I grew up on revolvers.
    Practice rounds are 125gr. RFLN dropped from a Lee .357 mold, sized to .357. No leading. Carry is Profire 124gr Gold dots. Getting ready to try out some HST.

obidya

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Since this is your first pistol...
    please don't store it in the pelican case. The foam will destroy the finish in a VERY short time.
    Good to know, Its back in the original ruger box for now.

Go to the local gun store, big box store, etc. and buy a hoppes cleaning kit.
    it's about as basic and effective a set up as you could hope for.
    Im leaning towards this Otis cleaning kit on amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000C52A5...TF8&colid=241DSFD0FXD9P&coliid=I2YVWS8AZ2NR92

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Regarding cleaning: go to WalMart, and get a $10-20 pistol cleaning kit, Hoppes or equivalent. You'll end up with more than you need. Also, get a bag of extra patches for pushing through the barrel.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Agreed, don't overthink the cleaning kit. Hoppees pistol kit is fine. I have the Otis kit and still use the good ol fashioned cleaning rod and patches. Hoppes #9 is still my go to cleaning product and I have used a bunch of different products. You will need a good lubricant, there are a lot of good products to choose from but the Hoppes gun oil or Elite gun oil will work fine.

Don't blow a bunch of money on night sights and Crimson Trace. Concentrate on the essentials. Mags, ammo, good holster. Learn how the shoot the gun. Take the money you would spend on a laser and attend a pistol class or shoot an USPSA match.

Top Bottom