• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    On another note. Squibs and doublecharged reloads can almost be totally prevented. Weigh them all and the really low weight and overweight (doublecharged) ones will stick out like a sore thumb compared to the correctly loaded ones. A digital scale costs $30 or so and you can weigh a box out in minutes. Problem prevented/solved.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    One of the rules I imposed on all of my reloading was to use a powder that would overflow if double charged. Plus filling the case makes the velocity spread smaller with primers igniting better. So many good powders now available or so many unavailable but made. TRAILBOSS gave me the plinker loads, 322 works great I my 222 rem as it was made for it. I still single stage and triple check scaled tapped with rod and visual.

I will admit thAt I had to resort to the old unique loads in the last few years when things got tight. Just checked them 4 times.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I don't want money, I have insurance for this kind of thing. I want my gun replaced so I can sell it and never own a Sig again. It was factory ammo and regrettably I was not wearing safety glasses. I know that's really stupid, but I can't see well to begin with and safety glasses interfere with my vision even more. Now I will be wearing them no matter what, because well apparently I'm an idiot lol.
    And your vision will be a lot worse when you get hit more seriously next time!

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Just from the picture it appears to be ammo related.

Other than the given, that ammunition is the explosive charge ultimately responsible for 100% of all kabooms in the history of firearms, how can you make that deduction? A perfect cartridge fired out of battery would have similar to identical results.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Other than the given, that ammunition is the explosive charge ultimately responsible for 100% of all kabooms in the history of firearms, how can you make that deduction? A perfect cartridge fired out of battery would have similar to identical results.

Out of battery personally I do not think should have blown chunks of the frame away.
    Sure you will have similar slide damage but to chunk out a frame like that lots of pressure needed. An out of battery round normally blows the excess pressure out the exposed brass.

Then again I have only had out of battery issues with a 22 rim fire. Maybe I could be wrong. Most likely
    i am just ask the next poster.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011

In my non professional opinion looking at the picture around the damaged area the round looks like it went off while locked up. My reasoning for this is the direction of the mangled internals and location of the damage.

Secondly out of battery discharges are largely impossible (very very small chance of happening) in quality firearms. Unless they have a kaboom button #Kirk Freeman

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Think about it - even if it were just a weak frame - you wouldn't have ended up with that kind of internal damage. I've seen slides break, I've seen frames break - but in those cases it was due to stress/fractures/etc and there was not other real damage to the firearm. You could replace the slide or the frame and generally keep shooting. This gun is totaled imho.

I could see a piece of the frame cracking off/breaking under stress but that internal damage was done by more than a normal load imho.

In pistol loads it really only takes a TINY bit to be overcharged. 4.8 grains could be good and 5.2 could be waaaay too hot depending on the powder as an example. .4 grains is NOT a lot. Double charge it or anywhere near it? Kaboom.

JRPLANE

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Hagerstown, Indiana
    Glad you are OK!

This happened to me 3 weeks ago. I was shooting a Glock 21 45acp. It was my reloads. My fault. I have loaded and fired 59,250 (+/- a handful) 45's to date. 33,500( +/- the same handful) in the Glock. All 230gr. lead 4.5gr. titegroup .This is the first problem ever. The Glock frame and slide were damaged, but did not break. The barrel was split on the bottom, and trigger group destroyed. My trigger finger had a small cut, and major bruise. It felt like it was slammed in a car door!! Its still to sore to shoot (much).

Glock said reloads was on me, and I agree. Glock inspected the gun to see if it could be fixed. They called and said they could fix it for $280 or ship me a new model for $380 shipped to my door. I took the new one.
    Tracking showed they got it on monday, they called monday afternoon! I had a new gun friday.
    It sucks I lost a gun but Glock replaced it for much less than I could have got one. The new one is at 105 rounds, my trigger finger just can't stand any more.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Glad you are OK!

This happened to me 3 weeks ago. I was shooting a Glock 21 45acp. It was my reloads. My fault. I have loaded and fired 59,250 (+/- a handful) 45's to date. 33,500( +/- the same handful) in the Glock. All 230gr. lead 4.5gr. titegroup .This is the first problem ever. The Glock frame and slide were damaged, but did not break. The barrel was split on the bottom, and trigger group destroyed. My trigger finger had a small cut, and major bruise. It felt like it was slammed in a car door!! Its still to sore to shoot (much).

Glock said reloads was on me, and I agree. Glock inspected the gun to see if it could be fixed. They called and said they could fix it for $280 or ship me a new model for $380 shipped to my door. I took the new one.
    Tracking showed they got it on monday, they called monday afternoon! I had a new gun friday.
    It sucks I lost a gun but Glock replaced it for much less than I could have got one. The new one is at 105 rounds, my trigger finger just can't stand any more.

That's a pretty good deal!

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    Sig customer service has been in touch and they were really nice and I'm suppose to send it out Monday morning. TrajeTech is still to be heard from on the other hand. Full vision has returned to my left eye, now it's just itchy as sh^t and just a few small cuts on my nose and under my eye. The scale is an excellent idea and I will be purchasing one today or tomorrow. The casing the I pulled from the gun is almost unrecognizable. I'm taking tons of pictures of the gun and casing before its sent off as well.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    Another thing that I noticed (after I recovered from the shock of getting hit in the face with part of my frame haha) while I was picking up the brass and other pieces of the gun I found a round the the bullet had been pressed into the casing. I know this bullet came out of my gun and wasn't already on the ground. How did that happen????

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Another thing that I noticed (after I recovered from the shock of getting hit in the face with part of my frame haha) while I was picking up the brass and other pieces of the gun I found a round the the bullet had been pressed into the casing. I know this bullet came out of my gun and wasn't already on the ground. How did that happen????

Prob the next round in the magazine at the time of the explosion. The force of the explosion forced the bullet back into the case until the powder in there compressed. If your using something like Titegroup, there is still alot of space left in the cartridge after inserting the powder.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I was at POPS once and a ricochet from a shooter on my right sent a jacket fragment dead center into the right lens of my shooting glasses. Without the glasses I would be wearing an eye patch.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I was at POPS once and a ricochet from a shooter on my right sent a jacket fragment dead center into the right lens of my shooting glasses. Without the glasses I would be wearing an eye patch.

^^^ Eye patches are no fun, they made me wear one all day yesterday. I'm actually loading my shot shell box right now getting ready to go shoot trap for a friends birthday and I just threw two pairs of safety glasses in too....

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    Sig customer service has been in touch and they were really nice and I'm suppose to send it out Monday morning. TrajeTech is still to be heard from on the other hand. Full vision has returned to my left eye, now it's just itchy as sh^t and just a few small cuts on my nose and under my eye. The scale is an excellent idea and I will be purchasing one today or tomorrow. The casing the I pulled from the gun is almost unrecognizable. I'm taking tons of pictures of the gun and casing before its sent off as well.

Its seems like its totally ammo-related. Sounds like a fire mission on the internet with bad reviews everywhere is in order. Make em take notice with their wallet.

Top Bottom