• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I may keep my eye out for someone selling a full size M&P to get one of these.

Though I don’t need it, it might be nice to have a FS along with my 2.0 Compact.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Scuttlebutt: Local range that has 2 Echelons in their rental case has pulled them. The optic plates flew off of both of them while customers were shooting them. I heard that it looks like the plate screws are a bit short, only a couple of threads engage the slide holes. Might not be a problem if you intend to mount an optic and never revert to only iron sights.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Scuttlebutt: Local range that has 2 Echelons in their rental case has pulled them. The optic plates flew off of both of them while customers were shooting them. I heard that it looks like the plate screws are a bit short, only a couple of threads engage the slide holes. Might not be a problem if you intend to mount an optic and never revert to only iron sights.
    There are an arrangement of screws. Is it possible whoever mounted the sights used the wrong screws?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Nephew just reported both screws came loose on his cover, and he lost one. I told him to contact SA and they will send him another screw for it. And told him to torque them to 12-15 inch lbs. Check them every few magazines and if they lossen up again to put a pin head size drop of blue loctite on them.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The cover plates came off, there was no red dot mounted.
    Could it be that the cover plate was loosely installed at the factory so it would be easier to remove by the owner when installing their red dot?

My Taurus TX came with the mounting plate attached. It appeared to be tightly attached but I didn't check it so I stuck my red dot on it and commenced shooting it only to find out after my first range session that the plate was loose.

I took the dot off, cleaned the screws for the mounting plate, added some blue loctite, reassembled everything and haven't had an issue since.

Are people just looking for a problem with new items when they aren't there?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Are people just looking for a problem with new items when they aren't there?
    Parts flying off of a gun straight from the factory are a bit disconcerting. My understanding is that the plates withstood a few hundred rounds before being launched downrange. I heard that the problem may be short screws and minimal thread engagement.

Probably not an issue for those running an optic. It’s a new optic mounting system on a new pistol, so we’ll see. Never a bad idea to let early adopters beta test and see if the platform gains widespread acceptance.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Parts flying off of a gun straight from the factory are a bit disconcerting. My understanding is that the plates withstood a few hundred rounds before being launched downrange. I heard that the problem may be short screws and minimal thread engagement.

Probably not an issue for those running an optic. It’s a new optic mounting system on a new pistol, so we’ll see. Never a bad idea to let early adopters beta test and see if the platform gains widespread acceptance.
    True dat!

I'm not seeing widespread reports of this... yet... but my quick search found similar issues on other guns, some SA (Hellcat), some other manufacturers...

Apparently, it's a thing! Who knew?

It did occur to me that all of the Youtube reviewers received RMRs with their samples, so these reports, if/when they occur, will come from "real people".

Just some of the linkies...

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Coon fingered one of these today at my local fun store. This is just my assessment. Obviously that will vary with different individuals. Grip wasn't as tacky/sticky as my Shield Plus. Felt like you took 3 passes of 300 grit to a Shield Plus and you'd have what the Echelon felt like. Almost like it has 1 too many passes with sandpaper. I'd like it better if it was just a smidgen more tacky. I don't do optics on my pistols so that a moot point for me. The trigger wasn't what Colin Noir says it was. It's not terrible at all. Little mush on the take up and a snap. VERY similar to my P365X I had. Little overtravel. The reset was extremely short and audible. Sights are nice but I'm not buying a gun just because it has nice sights. Overall just another striker fired pistol, to me.
    I handled one last Saturday at Scheels and thought it was a very well thought out gun. The grip shape was great for and smaller hands and it probably had the medium insert in it, didn't mind the texture at all. Trigger was nice, the striker release reminds of a 320 sort of a dull thud where you think is it even going to have enough oomph to set off a primer? Reset was short and positive, I agree sights were nice and from what I have seen with an optic you will still be able to use them even though under the SPFD accessories page they list optic specific sights available. The fit on the one I examined was nice and solid all the way around and made me feel better about ordering one the day they came out sight unseen. Unfortunately it came in one day after I left for army for 30 days lol so I don't have it yet but looking forward to it.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    At least it's not another boring iteration of the 1911, talk about beating the proverbial horse to death!

Not to put too fine a point on it, but there are NO "boring" iterations of the 1911.
    True, some are more beautiful, or useful than others, but they are all "interesting", for one reason or another. :coffee:

Moving on......As most people use the expression "beating a dead horse",
    my analytical side must inquire as to your "Ringo-ism" (malaprop) r.e. "beating the..horse to death".
    I'm intrigued as to whether this form is a colloquialism from your area, or upbringing, or merely a typo.

Or perhaps you're just barely repressing a deep seated irrational hatred of all things 1911. Hmmmmm.....tell me more about your mother.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Not to put too fine a point on it, but there are NO "boring" iterations of the 1911.
    True, some are more beautiful, or useful than others, but they are all "interesting", for one reason or another. :coffee:

my analytical side must inquire as to your "Ringo-ism" (malaprop) r.e. "beating the..horse to death".
    I'm intrigued as to whether this form is a colloquialism from your area, or upbringing, or merely a typo.

Or perhaps you're just barely repressing a deep seated irrational hatred of all things 1911. Hmmmmm.....tell me more about your mother.
    This post is a fine example of the reason why lots of people have no use for the 1911. It's hard to tell whether the 1911 fanbois or the Glock fanbois are more annoying, but they are both certainly on the lead lap. Gaston himself has a few laps to make up, though...he's only been releasing the same ****ing pistol for the last 35 years or so. Boooring! :):

And yes, another 1911 :rolleyes: is not the direction that Springfield needed to go. Much more interesting that they have apparently moved on from their XD line with its ridiculous horse cavalry grip safety and have decided to introduce an actual modern striker-fired pistol that blends the best of many competing designs. Looking forward to seeing if they'll pick up any major LE contracts...something a 1911 won't be doing anytime soon.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    This post is a fine example of the reason why lots of people have no use for the 1911. It's hard to tell whether the 1911 fanbois or the Glock fanbois are more annoying, but they are both certainly on the lead lap. Gaston himself has a few laps to make up, though...he's only been releasing the same ****ing pistol for the last 35 years or so. Boooring! :):

And yes, another 1911 :rolleyes: is not the direction that Springfield needed to go. Much more interesting that they have apparently moved on from their XD line with its ridiculous horse cavalry grip safety and have decided to introduce an actual modern striker-fired pistol that blends the best of many competing designs. Looking forward to seeing if they'll pick up any major LE contracts...something a 1911 won't be doing anytime soon.
    You, sir, have no sense of humor.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    data.gif

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Im hoping with SA “cracking the code” on multiple RDS direct mount ability other makers will offer direct mount offerings to the masses and not just agencies (hear me Glock)

And maybe just maybe in another 5-7 years it causes RDS makers to standardize (as much as can be) the footprints on everyone’s RDS

Am I the only person that gets annoyed by springfield armory taking credit for these things? SA is just an importer, these are designed and manufactured by Hs Produkt of Croatia.

I really wish they'd do like IWI and just start a US branch.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Am I the only person that gets annoyed by springfield armory taking credit for these things? SA is just an importer, these are designed and manufactured by Hs Produkt of Croatia.

I really wish they'd do like IWI and just start a US branch.
    So why does a SA working with a solid European company to bring a better gun than the XDM here bother you? HS is a solid firearms company (even James Reece of TFB TV mentioned it)

Every company has working relations with others. Remember the West German marked SIG’s before it became a 100% NH and USA company?

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    So why does a SA working with a solid European company to bring a better gun than the XDM here bother you? HS is a solid firearms company (even James Reece of TFB TV mentioned it)

Every company has working relations with others. Remember the West German marked SIG’s before it became a 100% NH and USA company?
    Bringing up the HS manufacture is just a way to take a dig at SPFD. It's not unusual at all for gun companies to import guns under their names, or even between companies in this country, remember Sears and Ted Williams? Weatherby's have been made, by FN, Sako, Sauer, Howa, and Acrometal. Brownings were all made in Japan for years, same with Winchester rifles. Turkey pretty much makes all the cheap pump guns and semi-autos for a lot of companies now as well. Most high end 1911 companies use frames and slides made by no name companies like JEM and RemSport etc, same with AR companies.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Bringing up the HS manufacture is just a way to take a dig at SPFD. It's not unusual at all for gun companies to import guns under their names, or even between companies in this country, remember Sears and Ted Williams? Weatherby's have been made, by FN, Sako, Sauer, Howa, and Acrometal. Brownings were all made in Japan for years, same with Winchester rifles. Turkey pretty much makes all the cheap pump guns and semi-autos for a lot of companies now as well. Most high end 1911 companies use frames and slides made by no name companies like JEM and RemSport etc, same with AR companies.
    What? It is not 1957 in the manufacturing world anymore? :stickpoke:

Top Bottom