• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    First Pistol I ever bought came up missing a few weeks back. Sheriff’s Dep made a few calls and found it had been turned in to the SBPD. So I mosey on in and fill out some paperwork. I’m told a ballistics test needs to be performed, to determine if said pistol was used in any crimes, and a personal background check to ensure I can legally possess the pistol. Makes sense. Fast forward a few weeks and I get a call to come in and pick it up. Great. I head in this morning and they bring out a box of scrap. The streamlight is crushed. The magazine is void of 17 rounds of hornady CD (and also crushed). The high-end aftermarket slide with optic is completely MIA. Magwell too. Frame has been cut in half. Cut. In. Half.

I’m sorry, ballistics check how? And for what? Background check to ensure I can own scrap plastic? Help me understand.

Suffice to say, I told them to shove it and walked out empty handed. I’ll probably be posting the original slide assembly for sale sometime in the near future, since it’s little more than a paperweight without its frame.

Hope everyone is having a great Christmas season.

rbhargan

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    Carmel/Liberty
    Well that sucks.

The question is, was it in that condition when it was turned into the SBPD?

I *suppose* they could have put the barrel into another pistol and tested the ballistics, but ...

Sorry for your loss.

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    Well that sucks.

The question is, was it in that condition when it was turned into the SBPD?

I *suppose* they could have put the barrel into another pistol and tested the ballistics, but ...

Sorry for your loss.
    That was my question as well. The woman I spoke with claimed to have no information. In fact, “No information” was the programmed response to my questions for all four of the “individuals” I spoke with from the first time I walked in, to the last time I walked out. It’s hard to believe whoever turned it in (if it was turned in) cut the frame in half first. That’s a govt. payroll response, no two ways about it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Bet 10 bucks it was destroyed by SBPD
    Especially since they first told the story that it had to be ballistically tested.

If it had turned up that way (e.g. somebody found the cut up gun in a shoe box behind a dumpster and turned it in) they would have not even mentioned the testing as there was nothing to test due to being inop.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I remember we thought we should have an open carry rally at a downtown South Bend McDs to all get McRibs...

I am thinking that's even a better idea now.. damn you SBPD

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    Bet 10 bucks it was destroyed by SBPD
    I would be a fool to accept. Nothing else adds up, and I’m petty enough to believe it’s political, too. But why destroy the mag and torch? Everything was kaput. Why not chop the frame and be done with it? And where did the slide go? “No information.”

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I would be a fool to accept. Nothing else adds up, and I’m petty enough to believe it’s political, too. But why destroy the mag and torch? Everything was kaput. Why not chop the frame and be done with it? And where did the slide go? “No information.”
    accepting it was political it's not a stretch to suggest the slide was "lost" by the political hack that destroyed the rest of the gun.

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    Just that, and the reason I titled Stolen/Missing. I really don’t know. I had it one day and noticed it missing the very next. I’ve been under a great deal of stress lately and there are holes in my memory. I can’t recall anything related to the pistol between me pulling it out of the safe and me noticing it gone the next day. Please don’t mistake me blaming anyone other than myself for it going awol. The question on my mind is what happened to it and why? Other than the dustcover being cut at the front of the trigger guard, the frame looked fine. The magazine and torch were crushed. The slide/barrel/optic were a complete no-show.

In hindsight, I should have taken the rear of the frame and gutted the internals, but I don’t have anything they would have worked in. I just recall LPKs were scarce recently. The OEM wasn’t selling them at the time.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    So unless SBPD can prove it came into their possession destroyed, they are liable for the taking of your property.

Indiana Constitution Article 1 Section 21 violation?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Modified firearms were a problem even back in the 1980's Some criminals stole a very rare British S x S shotgun and sawed the barrels off later using it in a violent felony. My neighbor was heart broken when they had him identify it. It would have cost a bunch to have a new barrel set made but it would have been worth it. The Lake County Court and sheriff's department would not even let it be shipped to a gunsmith. They destroyed it as an illegal weapon. All the 100 year old engraving and gold inlay was lost forever. I have very seldom heard a good outcome on stolen firearms.

Top Bottom