• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Especially since they first told the story that it had to be ballistically tested.

If it had turned up that way (e.g. somebody found the cut up gun in a shoe box behind a dumpster and turned it in) they would have not even mentioned the testing as there was nothing to test due to being inop.
    Maybe, maybe not. Who did he talk to" Were they telling him about what their standard procedure is or about his specific gun? Needs to be looked into. They should have taken pictures as found or turned in.

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    Modified firearms were a problem even back in the 1980's Some criminals stole a very rare British S x S shotgun and sawed the barrels off later using it in a violent felony. My neighbor was heart broken when they had him identify it. It would have cost a bunch to have a new barrel set made but it would have been worth it. The Lake County Court and sheriff's department would not even let it be shipped to a gunsmith. They destroyed it as an illegal weapon. All the 100 year old engraving and gold inlay was lost forever. I have very seldom heard a good outcome on stolen firearms.
    I know it would hurt to see, but I would demand physical proof it was “destroyed as an illegal weapon.” Call me cynical, but more likely it’s gracing some cops mantlepiece with new barrels. Fortunately this was just a gen 3 Glock 17. Nothing special. It had a bunch of aftermarket modifications to and including the slide, but nothing you don’t typically see these days. The frame had extended OEM controls and a ghost connector. Otherwise stock. All damages were probably around $1500-$2000.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Maybe, maybe not. Who did he talk to" Were they telling him about what their standard procedure is or about his specific gun? Needs to be looked into. They should have taken pictures as found or turned in.

Shouldn't there be some "chain of custody" sort of documents kept by the department for the chance that the pistol ballistics testing turned up positive for the gun being used in a crime?

:dunno:

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I dont know COMPLETE STORY but I would definitly get a attorney , probably a 2A attorney ,something doesnt seem to be right? WHO turned it in , if it was at your house? who in your house turned it in? WHY.

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    The notification for tests came via phone call, roughly 15 minutes after my first station visit to fill out paperwork. A woman called and said the checks would need to be done and to expect a call to pick up at the time of completion. It’s highly likely she was relaying procedure and didn’t physically have the pistol in front of her at the time. Probably just a clerk. Still took almost three weeks for the call to come pick it up. The only names I can recall or that seemed relevant at the time were the Deputy I originally reported to, and the officer that performs the ballistics tests. Everyone else was a female desk jockey, keeping the file cabinets clean and answering phones.

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    Tagging for outcome… anybody heard from maxipad lately???
    My honest, objective assessment is this:

I pulled the pistol from the safe to inspect it for potential cleaning. Somehow, I ended up with it out by the car and was distracted. Maybe the distraction pulled me out to the car. I laid it on the hood and forgot about it. The only place I went that day was the gas station, so it somehow survived my pot hole riddled dirt driveway, only to fall on the pavement of the street down the road and I somehow didn’t notice or hear it. The light and magazine somehow become detached and are run over, crushing them. Someone picks up the whole mess and takes it to SBPD because they don’t realize we live in the county and are under the Sheriff’s jurisdiction. SBPD keeps the slide and chop-saws the frame.

A lot of somehows and it seems pretty thin, reading over it, but that’s the only way I can make the pieces fit without more information they clearly weren’t ready or willing to provide.

I don’t know who this Kirk fellow previously mentioned is and I don’t really have the time, resources or inclination to crush the SBPD as some have suggested and I, admittedly, may have fantasized about for a brief moment. I consider it a hard and expensive lesson learned, and I’ll likely leave it at that.

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    Yep, you should have brought it home.
    1. Evidence in a civil suit, and:
    2. Could have listed it in the Classies here as 'shows some wear but low round count.'
    I enjoyed the levity here but to be honest, I had less than a mag through the new slide and maybe less than a handful through the original. I bought a 1911 pretty soon after the Glock and had a lot more fun shooting it, then after the slide change, it was to “pretty” (by Glock standards) too shoot. Literally became a safe queen.

I traded that 1911 for a gen 3 Glock 26, 3 pierce +2 grip extensions and $100, then modded it exactly like the 17, only with a TRL-6 instead of the TLR-1 HL.

I’m almost 40 and I still don’t know what I’m doing with my life.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I don’t know who this Kirk fellow previously mentioned is and I don’t really have the time, resources or inclination to crush the SBPD as some have suggested and I, admittedly, may have fantasized about for a brief moment. I consider it a hard and expensive lesson learned, and I’ll likely leave it at that.
    He is an attorney out of Lafayette who is a member here. And he's not a fan of LEO shenanigans.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

My honest, objective assessment is this:

I pulled the pistol from the safe to inspect it for potential cleaning. Somehow, I ended up with it out by the car and was distracted. Maybe the distraction pulled me out to the car. I laid it on the hood and forgot about it. The only place I went that day was the gas station, so it somehow survived my pot hole riddled dirt driveway, only to fall on the pavement of the street down the road and I somehow didn’t notice or hear it. The light and magazine somehow become detached and are run over, crushing them. Someone picks up the whole mess and takes it to SBPD because they don’t realize we live in the county and are under the Sheriff’s jurisdiction. SBPD keeps the slide and chop-saws the frame.

A lot of somehows and it seems pretty thin, reading over it, but that’s the only way I can make the pieces fit without more information they clearly weren’t ready or willing to provide.

@printcraft was referring to now retired SBPD sergeant Maxey. He became part of Ingo lore many years ago.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I enjoyed the levity here but to be honest, I had less than a mag through the new slide and maybe less than a handful through the original. I bought a 1911 pretty soon after the Glock and had a lot more fun shooting it, then after the slide change, it was to “pretty” (by Glock standards) too shoot. Literally became a safe queen.

I traded that 1911 for a gen 3 Glock 26, 3 pierce +2 grip extensions and $100, then modded it exactly like the 17, only with a TRL-6 instead of the TLR-1 HL.

I’m almost 40 and I still don’t know what I’m doing with my life.
    Glad you found the humor. Dad always said I was a terminal smartass, as in it was going to get me killed someday.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    There is likely a case report if it was recovered by the PD. Could give you some insight into what happened? It could also be possible it was recovered by a different agency and sent to SBPD (inadvertently) in that condition.

Different agencies all have different policies on handling recovered firearms. When I was a detective, I had a "hit" on a Glock that I had entered as stolen. Chicago PD found it. Red tape was such I was never able to get it back for our resident.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If you found a pistol laying in the road, getting run over, what would you think about it?

If the found gun had expensive aftermarket parts that weren't tied by serial number to the pistol?

:scratch:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pakman415
    Top Bottom