Stolen Valor?? I was just wearing the T-shirt...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    I don't believe so. I wear shirts from my son's unit all the time. When asked if I retired from that unit (I don't believe I look that old....) I respond by saying "No, that it is my son's and I'm proud of him." I did not serve and can honestly say that it is one of my only regrets, but I believe I still have the right to be proud of those who did, especially my son. I have my Dad's dress uniform hanging in a display case in my office. Every now and then someone asks me if it is mine (I know good and well I don't look old enough to be Vietnam era,....reoccuring theme here). I respond the same, "It's my Dad's and I was proud of him and miss him".

Dirty Steve

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Please write khols and tell them about your situation. In the very least this woman needs to be retrained. If you need veterans to give as references just let us know here and you will have them line up.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    No stolen valor, it's a t-shirt. That lady needs to chill the hell out and get a clue. T-shirts are t-shirts, medals are medals and the two are very different.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I proudly tell people I am a "Dormant Marine". Once a Marine, ALWAYS a Marine.

Stolen valor is about intent. You did not try to gain favor or profit from the simple act of wearing a t-shirt.
    I'm sure glad this is the case. I have WAY too many Grateful Dead t-shirts I'd never be able to wear otherwise!

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Ranger Up has some shirts that I won't wear because I haven't earned the right. Personal choice.

That gal was unclear on the concept. Good job using the other half of your brain. (Wife's suggestion.)
    Why? RAnger Up is a business, that makes clothing for ANYBODY to wear! Don't believe me? Call and ask! They make NOTHING they don't want the average American to wear!

raptrbreth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    Why would you wear that ugly Army shirt? I have a few USMC shirts you can have.

In all seriousness, wear it with pride. Happy Veterans Day to all who served, you earned it.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    No, it's not stolen valor. Whoever has issue with it, should get over themselves. Especially if you explain.... but you have no reason to explain. You're proud of your dad's and other family member's service. End of story.

^^^^THIS^^^^

I try to say something, to anyone wearing Military "garb" .....

It does NOT upset me, because most of them say something like, My Uncle, nephew, cousin, daughter

whatever, served ..... I wear it for them .....

SSG Ret., DAV .....

Thank you for thinking of those who serve, and have served .....

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Honestly if i witnessed something like that there would of been no way i could of held my tongue. The families of veterans are just as worthy for thanks in my eyes. The military moves families from states to states, country to country. Pulling kids out of school, having to find new friends. Loved ones left to keep a somewhat normal life going, trying to stay strong not knowing if they will see their spouse again. When my grandpa came back from vietnam his daughter asked if that man was going to stay with them because she didnt remember him and was so young. He had to leave his son when he was beginning high school (a point in a boys life where having a father is instrumental) The only time i saw someone thank my grandma was when they handed her a folded flag. And it upsets me that the wives, husbands, fathers, mothers, sons, daughters basically go unnoticed when they let go of a loved one for the greater good of America.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    IF you are not in a uniform it is not stolen valor. I was a contractor for the Navy, I have shirts & hats from the ships i serviced I wear them some times & people think I served.. usually it is no big deal.. only once had to decline a discount..

This. My bald fade has often elicited the question "military discount?" "no, I just enjoy a squared away noggin. I'm not a hippie." :):

Please write khols and tell them about your situation. In the very least this woman needs to be retrained. If you need veterans to give as references just let us know here and you will have them line up.
    THIS! There is a HUGE difference between a Tee and a uniform. Whats next, that cashier freaking out about a NYPD or FDNY tee? Somebody needs a pimp slap and a retrain.

Now you get some jackwagon parading around in class A's with medals that would make a 3rd world dictator jealous simply because its thursday? Thats another story. Those folks need to see a shrink.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This. My bald fade has often elicited the question "military discount?" "no, I just enjoy a squared away noggin. I'm not a hippie." :):

THIS! There is a HUGE difference between a Tee and a uniform. Whats next, that cashier freaking out about a NYPD or FDNY tee? Somebody needs a pimp slap and a retrain.

Now you get some jackwagon parading around in class A's with medals that would make a 3rd world dictator jealous simply because its thursday? Thats another story. Those folks need to see a shrink.

THIS is an appropriate retrain... (skip in 60 sec since the bookmark doesnt work)

[video=youtube_share;YrtS2_TfbeY]http://youtu.be/YrtS2_TfbeY?t=32[/video]

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, I think everyone has pretty much answered the question. You were not wearing a uniform, and you were not trying to gain something by claiming to have served.
    I think the lady probably realized her mistake and that's why she wanted to say so.

Just my 2 cents.

Shadow

AKA: Uncle Shadow
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    In the shadows
    I have often wonder about this . There has been lots of T-Shirts I have wanted to wear but didn't because of this . All the males in my family have served in the military , but me . I tried 3 times to get in but was denied because of my hearing loss ,matter of fact last time I tried they put a big red PDQ Permanently Disqualified on my paper work and said don't try anymore .
    Thank you all that have served and thank you for your replies to the op's question .

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I have noticed its always civilians with no ties to the military that go ballistic and vets and current member are usually pretty tame when calling out stolen valor. Example A guy at work threatened to kill me and tried to follow me home when he accused me of stolen valor after HR started giving me days off for igr drill. Yet this past weekend a vet came up to me at a gas station and politely said "excuse me I've never seen the army uniform with a state flag whats up with that?" we had a pleasant conversation about what the igr does and we thanked each other for their service and went our separate ways. Weird.

OP im not a dod employee but i agree with everyone else i see nothing wrong with it. Go to any PX or BX and they will have uniforms in kids sizes and i see that as the same thing

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    IMHO, not stolen valor... dressing in uniform, yes, wearing a shirt? no.

I have several shirts that were gifts from the various groups I've worked with (SEALs Green Berets etc), I rarely wear them because I prize them a lot but I do occasionally wear them. I'm not trying to be a SEAL or pretending to be one, I simply wear the shirt because I like what they stand for and I like what is on them...

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    No, it's not stolen valor. Whoever has issue with it, should get over themselves. Especially if you explain.... but you have no reason to explain. You're proud of your dad's and other family member's service. End of story.

I endorse this view. Stolen Valor is when you masquerade as a serviceman, not when you show support for the services or servicemen. There is a convicted felon in Lafayette that had the full BDU's boots, hat and all, hustling people for sympathetic handouts. I outed him several times. He does not do that anymore, being back in jail for other offenses.

Top Bottom