Stolen Valor?? I was just wearing the T-shirt...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Didn't he mistakenly shell some friendlies while in the Navy?

Unknown! It would not surprise me, though.

All I know are the following:
    • He sucked as a writer bigtime.
    • He was clearly bitter about no one taking his ridiculous fantasy ideas seriously.
    • He was clearly bitter about everyone and everything that he perceived injured him in some way.
    • He was a fraud in the extreme.
    • He was nowhere close to being as smart as he believed he was.
    • He was 100% correct when he told Jerry Pournelle & Larry Niven that he could acquire a lot of money by starting his own "church."
    • Dianetics, Scientology, and pretty much everything related to them are the quintessence of stupid.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I know there is a common belief that real deal spec ops guys are subdued and quiet and never talk about anything and that people who run their mouths are always posers. However, like all generalizations, there are exceptions.

I met a guy in a gun shop that talked very loudly about his exploits in Vietnam and how many times he'd been shot with 7.62x39. I didn't want to be rude because he was a friend of a friend and I gave him the benefit of the doubt, but I remained . . . skeptical. After all, if he'd really been there and done that, he wouldn't talk about it, right? So then I learned that he'd done some joint operations (he was in the Army) with some SEALs, specifically Dick Marchinko and Patches Watson. The source of that information: Dick Marchinko & Patches Watson. They thought he was dead because when they last saw him in Vietnam, he was being taken away on a helicopter with three AK wounds. Then they met him again years later in Indianapolis at Union Jack during one of Marchinko's publicity appearances. You can say what you want about Marchinko and his activities in later years, but you can't deny that he was a real SEAL and saw a lot of combat in Vietnam. When he and Chief Watson vouch for someone having been there with them, it's probably true.

Hmmm... I think I've told this story before on here.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I know there is a common belief that real deal spec ops guys are subdued and quiet and never talk about anything and that people who run their mouths are always posers. However, like all generalizations, there are exceptions.

I met a guy in a gun shop that talked very loudly about his exploits in Vietnam and how many times he'd been shot with 7.62x39. I didn't want to be rude because he was a friend of a friend and I gave him the benefit of the doubt, but I remained . . . skeptical. After all, if he'd really been there and done that, he wouldn't talk about it, right? So then I learned that he'd done some joint operations (he was in the Army) with some SEALs, specifically Dick Marchinko and Patches Watson. The source of that information: Dick Marchinko & Patches Watson. They thought he was dead because when they last saw him in Vietnam, he was being taken away on a helicopter with three AK wounds. Then they met him again years later in Indianapolis at Union Jack during one of Marchinko's publicity appearances. You can say what you want about Marchinko and his activities in later years, but you can't deny that he was a real SEAL and saw a lot of combat in Vietnam. When he and Chief Watson vouch for someone having been there with them, it's probably true.

To quote an Air Force TACP/JTAC type, "SEALS don't always live up to the quiet professionals image."

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    To quote an Air Force TACP/JTAC type, "SEALS don't always live up to the quiet professionals image."

Most of the SEALs I met on the sub were quite boisterous. Sorta like pilots.
    Except for stuff they weren't supposed to talk about.

When they were leaving one time, I asked, "Where you going?"
    Reply was "Skiing". But, they took weapons and ammo.
    When they came back, everyone had a nice tan. One guy was mostly wrapped up in bandages.
    I asked what happened to him.
    "Grandma at the factory cut the fuse short and the grenade went off early".
    "I thought you guys were skiing?" I said with a grin.
    The reply was, "You ain't skiing, if grenades ain't involved."

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

yeah the people who think this haven't REALLY hung out with many special Ops guys. Most of them are not ****ing quiet.
    Look online at all the companies run by special ops guys. Ranger Up, black rifle coffee company, just to name 2. Then look at the guys doing survival shows. And other tv shows. Ever heard of Tim Kennedy? Travis Haley? The movie Range15? These are Just a couple examples.
    Sorry everyone has been missing out on the real spec ops shenanigans lol.
    it just pisses me off when people talk out their asses about **** they have no right to open their pie holes about or know nothing about. Bu,by,by,but my friend of a friends cousin twice removed knows an Army Ranger and he never talked about killing anyone or his service?
    oh yeah? shut the **** up. Go back to your tactical armchairs.

Rhino this post is in no way directed at you. Just wanted to make that clear

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, I'd say, there are those, and those that don't.
    I've met plenty of gun store warriors that talked a mean story, but I didn't believe much of it.
    And I've met both the talkers and non-talkers that did it.
    The question for me is, are they giving away classified info.

I have a couple stories in my head for my new thread coming up (Tales from the Deep, or Voyage to Davey Jones Locker. I'm still working on the title).
    I run into some problems with, what is still classified? There were stuff classified till the voyage was over, 5 years, 20 years, and for life.
    I have a crappy memory, I can't remember that stuff.
    So, I know I can tell some stuff, because I can point to places on the internet where it is, in case .gov comes calling.
    Other stuff, I'd have to redact out.
    About everyone here but maybe a few noobs have heard my stories.
    But a guy at work asked how deep my sub could go.
    I told him "classified".
    He didn't believe me. Looked it up. Either said, classified, or deeper than so many feet.

Subs have NO defenses, so I'm not passing on info that can be used against them.

Example.
    In WWII, the Japanese were setting their depth charges too shallow.
    A congressman gave a speech telling people in the beginning of the war, not to worry, the Japanese were setting their depth charges too shallow.
    Well, submarines tend to just disappear. So, you don't know why they sank.
    But, soon after his speech was published, there was an uptick in submarine losses.
    It was then the submarine service became known as the silent service.

See, learn something every day.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    By the way TT, Range 15 was friggin hilarious. But I can see why Hollywood didn't put the money up for them. Way too many people would be offended.

I bought 2, one for me and one for one of my brothers.
    I got the 1, but had to keep contacting them.
    They finally came out with a video, said they outsourced some aspects (such as movie distrib) outside the company, and had a LOT of complaints.
    So, they're bringing it all back in house.
    So I gave them a couple weeks, contacted them AGAIN.
    This time someone apologized. Said the movie was on the way.

Buchhaas

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2017
    Vermillion County
    As a retired Marine t-shirts mean nothing as long as its not an official uniform you are in the clear. All you are doing is showing your support for your family and all other members of the armed services.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Assuming you were wearing the screaming eagle... why on earth would anyone even consider stealing "valor" from a unit that's too scared to jump and too lazy to walk?

+1 no stolen valor.

#dopesonarope

This made me chuckle. AATW!

Ranger Up has some shirts that I won't wear because I haven't earned the right. Personal choice.

I'm going to guess you served? I feel the same way in that I was in the 82nd, but did not get to go to Ranger school so I won't wear anything with a Tab or Scroll on it. Same with 18x... it just wouldn't feel right. I'm only comfortable wearing what I accomplished.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Lol.....No way did that cashier apologize. Your wife definitely said that just to get you calmed down.

It's a t-shirt. Who cares. It's not a uniform, it's not medals, and you're not asking for discounts for being in the service.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    As a retired Marine t-shirts mean nothing as long as its not an official uniform you are in the clear. All you are doing is showing your support for your family and all other members of the armed services.

Blue-ID Mafia!

Top Bottom