Stolen Valor?? I was just wearing the T-shirt...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I have a related but inverse question from on observed conversation: As I was picking up my kiddo at daycare, another couple (or unrelated two people? wasn't sure): gal was in basic looking camo fatigues, from the conversation I gleaned she was in the service currently but off duty on her way home. 400lb black dude started flipping out that she was breaking the law and his something or other chewed him a new one for wearing his uniform off duty in the past. (not aggressive, just assertive). So my question is: is there anything wrong with an active serviceperson wearing their uniform off-duty?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I have a related but inverse question from on observed conversation: As I was picking up my kiddo at daycare, another couple (or unrelated two people? wasn't sure): gal was in basic looking camo fatigues, from the conversation I gleaned she was in the service currently but off duty on her way home. 400lb black dude started flipping out that she was breaking the law and his something or other chewed him a new one for wearing his uniform off duty in the past. (not aggressive, just assertive). So my question is: is there anything wrong with an active serviceperson wearing their uniform off-duty?

Excellent question. With the exception of times and areas you are directed to be in civilian clothes due to security concerns (think Europe) nothing says you can't be in uniform. There are always limitations on where you can wear the uniform (public image is a major factor) but picking up your kids at a daycare is not an issue.

Me? Uniform came off when I got in the door at home. It last came off 22 May 07.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    speaking of wearing the uniform wrongly. I once witnessed a USAF tech sgt walk into a jc penny store in full bdu's with his wife in matching fatigues. Mind you she had turned hers into booty shorts and cut the sleeves off.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    speaking of wearing the uniform wrongly. I once witnessed a USAF tech sgt walk into a jc penny store in full bdu's with his wife in matching fatigues. Mind you she had turned hers into booty shorts and cut the sleeves off.
    BDUs are woodland camouflage. If there are no distinctive military insignia (US Air Force over left pocket, badges, rank insignia, etc.) on the sleeveless/booty short version it is not a uniform.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    BDUs are woodland camouflage. If there are no distinctive military insignia (US Air Force over left pocket, badges, rank insignia, etc.) on the sleeveless/booty short version it is not a uniform.
    if i remember right it had the guys name and usaf still stitched on, he was was in abu's so i imagine it was his old uniform.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    if i remember right it had the guys name and usaf still stitched on, he was was in abu's so i imagine it was his old uniform.

If memory serves ABUs replaced BDUs in October 2011. BDUs were not an actual uniform at that point, but with the USAF tapes I'd have a problem with that.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I was turned down by the Army during the Vietnam era and was never in the military so I don't really have a dog in this fight but I do like watching this guy's videos. Don Shipley hunts down and exposes phony Navy Seals. Check him out.

LANGUAGE WARNING! Don doesn't like phony Seals and neither does his wife.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Buds131

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Uniform allowed depended.
    Fatigues, or navy dungarees were not allowed off base.
    Dress or Working uniform was to be worn.

These rules changed over time, and as the uniform changed.

Nitreoxide

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2016
    Morresville
    I visited a local gunshop a couple of weeks ago and the guy behind the counter was talking about all of his combat adventures , sounded more like video game adventure. I'm positive he never served. I threw a little military lingo at him and got a blank look. His stories went on to cover swat as well as special forces. I was so shocked with his line that I left without calling him out on it. That's the stuff that bothers us , not t-shirts.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I visited a local gunshop a couple of weeks ago and the guy behind the counter was talking about all of his combat adventures , sounded more like video game adventure. I'm positive he never served. I threw a little military lingo at him and got a blank look. His stories went on to cover swat as well as special forces. I was so shocked with his line that I left without calling him out on it. That's the stuff that bothers us , not t-shirts.

There are cases of it right here on INGO as well.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Well Call of Duty and Rainbow Six are actually quite realistic. You could get squared away playing that stuff.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Even ignoring your location, I'm going to take a wild guess and say RexBellator is the shop? Thats the first place that came to mind given the stories Ive heard from others.

And I like asking them what their MOS was. Blank stare= Poser. I was in briefly (enough to not consider myself a vet) and 25 years later I STILL remember my MOS and can blurt it out immediately after being asked. These idiots seem to think thats something you dont remember.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Even ignoring your location, I'm going to take a wild guess and say RexBellator is the shop? Thats the first place that came to mind given the stories Ive heard from others.

And I like asking them what their MOS was. Blank stare= Poser. I was in briefly (enough to not consider myself a vet) and 25 years later I STILL remember my MOS and can blurt it out immediately after being asked. These idiots seem to think thats something you dont remember.
    there are definitely some things you don't forget. Bases, units, MOS/AFSCs/rates. I have also noticed people who have really been there and done that are very quiet.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Officers don't have a MOS...so THERE!

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Yeah. I hear the occasional war story and this tune comes to mind

I see my old comrades, how proudly they march
    Reliving their dreams of past glory
    i see the old men, all twisted and torn
    The forgotten heroes of a forgotten war
    And the young people ask me, "what are they
    Marching for?"
    And I ask myself the same question

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Being a new member I'll leave names out. But rifle dope shouldn't have drew a blank stare . Interesting feller for sure

Yep. Dont be bashful, you arent wading into any new territory. You wouldnt be the first, and probably not the last.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/local-gun-shops/429420-rex-bellator-firearms.html

there are definitely some things you don't forget. Bases, units, MOS/AFSCs/rates. I have also noticed people who have really been there and done that are very quiet.

Agreed. I know quite a few vets and they NEVER talk about it except in vaguaries. One Vietnam vet combat engineer I know, the most I have ever heard him speak of it was an offhand comment about driving an armored D8 and laughing about how the small arms were useless against it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Officers don't have a MOS...so THERE!

Well, desk jockey officers typically dont go around telling "war stories" like these yahoos.

"And no sh** there I was, about to die. All of the jurors were staring me down, and the opposing counsel was about to..." :laugh:

Top Bottom