May 29, 2013
    Indiana

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    You will find that that type of grip, (like the wood one in the pic I posted) is far more comfortable than the true pistol grips. They're a lot more forgiving on the web of your hand.

Also much better as a universal key. Breaching rounds are downright painful with a traditional pistol grip, and even less fun hitting the top hinge...

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Pachmeyr makes a rubberized pistol grip. I put one on my JIC. What a difference. It grips to your had and absorbs recoil excellent. I could only shoot 3-4 rounds with my stock grip. I can shoot slugs all day with this grip. Yeah it's pricey. I had a hard time ponying up but it make the gun a total joy to shoot! I have talked 5 people in to switching grips. know one has regretted it.

If I ever get caught up on my projects :-( I want to do a Serbu clone. I love the whole short shotgun concept! I have the skills np. Just hate dealing with the paper work, paper trail.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Does any manufacturer make a pistol gripped double barrel, so you can build an Auto & Burglar clone as an AOW? I know there was a company (Denny's Firearms or something like that) that was making them for a few years a while back, but you don't see those too often (or the originals for that matter). If only Indiana would get rid of the stupid bad on SBSs, this would be a problem, since we could just build them out of one of the cheaper SxS guns on the market.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    The SBS ban is pretty stupid. If you want one, you'll build one anyway. A law won't stop a criminal. Just a law abiding citizen like me. Here's a thought. A double barreled pump shot gun! Holy crap.. lol If it was legal I am sure someone would build one. What a hand full that would be to shoot. heck someones probably done it if you youtube searched. I might just have to look! lol.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    The SBS ban is pretty stupid. If you want one, you'll build one anyway. A law won't stop a criminal. Just a law abiding citizen like me. Here's a thought. A double barreled pump shot gun! Holy crap.. lol If it was legal I am sure someone would build one. What a hand full that would be to shoot. heck someones probably done it if you youtube searched. I might just have to look! lol.

I should not have looked!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV6WJxaJfRg

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    Pachmeyr makes a rubberized pistol grip. I put one on my JIC. What a difference. It grips to your had and absorbs recoil excellent. I could only shoot 3-4 rounds with my stock grip. I can shoot slugs all day with this grip. Yeah it's pricey. I had a hard time ponying up but it make the gun a total joy to shoot! I have talked 5 people in to switching grips. know one has regretted it.

If I ever get caught up on my projects :-( I want to do a Serbu clone. I love the whole short shotgun concept! I have the skills np.

Just hate dealing with the paper work, paper trail.

A dealer friend talked me into buying a set of those (pg and forearm) back in the 80's for $25.00 even though I didn't like them. So I stuck them away and later when I picked up my AOW I tried them out. And you're right......What a difference.

Wheeler78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    NWI
    OK so I got a question... could I get a Mossberg JIC and put that type of grip on it and just keep the barrel length the same with no new stamp?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    OK so I got a question... could I get a Mossberg JIC and put that type of grip on it and just keep the barrel length the same with no new stamp?
    Yep. As long as the barrel is at least 18" and the OAL is at least 26". (870's and 500's are right at 26" with just the receiver and 18" barrel).

Perfectly legal. Impractical, but perfectly legal. To each his own.

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    Yep. As long as the barrel is at least 18" and the OAL is at least 26". (870's and 500's are right at 26" with just the receiver and 18" barrel).

Perfectly legal. Impractical, but perfectly legal. To each his own.

Agreed. I'd much prefer shortening a shotgun from the front to make it handier. And I'd much prefer a stock on my AOW but for now neither is a legal option.

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana

I would get a standard 18" shotgun and put a Choate side folder on it. That way you get the handiness of a pistol grip shotgun with the option of a stock which is more practical for shooting.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Actually - the standard grips that are on the Serbu guns aren't all that bad.

Granted - I haven't fired any at length - and only with birdshot when I have shot them.

However, good shooting technique can, will, and does mitigate a lot of the felt recoil in the web of your hand.

These types of fun toys need a "push / pull" technique. Pushing outward / away from you on the fore end while at the same time pulling back towards you with your firing hand. Does wonders.

-J-

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    Actually - the standard grips that are on the Serbu guns aren't all that bad.

Granted - I haven't fired any at length - and only with birdshot when I have shot them.

However, good shooting technique can, will, and does mitigate a lot of the felt recoil in the web of your hand.

These types of fun toys need a "push / pull" technique. Pushing outward / away from you on the fore end while at the same time pulling back towards you with your firing hand. Does wonders.

-J-

:yesway: And it makes for surprisingly accurate shooting as well.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    :yesway: And it makes for surprisingly accurate shooting as well.

Just don't think it's any kind of precision instrument... "minute of watermelon" is good from what I've witnessed.

Also - the push/pull technique isn't a good one for a standoff situation. Too much muscle fatigue.

But if you find yourself in a standoff situation with a Serbu Super Shorty - then muscle fatigue is probably rather low on the scale of things to worry about.

Wheeler78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    NWI
    I would think it is still a short barreled shotgun. So no. But if I am wrong I am gonna be one happy guy. Gotta find my hack saw....

They have a link the page before with all the parts numbers to order from Mossberg it totals around $225 if I'm not mistaken

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    They have a link the page before with all the parts numbers to order from Mossberg it totals around $225 if I'm not mistaken

It sounds really great "but" I still thing it is classified as a SBS. I think laws very state to state so it might be legal. It sounds like it is not classified as a AOW but it would fall in to the category of a SBS. Which as far as I can tell, is illegal in Indiana! Can someone provide proof other wise? State law trumps federal laws. IE, Commiforia. Look at their laws. OMG! I will NEVER live or even visit that state. My AR50 is even illegal there.

Top Bottom