• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Looks like my local Staples carries them for about $12.

Parker® Jotter Ballpoint Retractable Pen, Medium, Black, Stainless Steel Barrel,Each | Staples®

At that price I can buy one to use and one to beat up and test.

That's what I did. :D
    I already had a used one that I used for testing.Then when I saw it was tough I bought a new one to carry.

I just found out that they are now made in France!

Probably why we have to pay twice the US price, to ship them from France to France, that somehow double the costs. :rolleyes:

"In late 2010, the English plant was closed, and Jotter production was transfered to Nantes, France."

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I have one.

Like someone already mentioned, any pen can be a "tactical" pen if you need it to be. However, I was actually looking for a "hardened" pen that could stand up to some abuse, and a "tactical" pen seemed to fit the bill.

I had some criteria that it had to meet:

• Body must be strong enough to use as an impact/striking weapon if necessary
    • Finish must be durable
    • Must have a strong pocket clip
    • Must be inexpensive
    • Must not have a concealed blade or sharp points (other than the pen tip itself) or otherwise look like a weapon
    • Prefer clickly tailcap versus removable cap
    • Prefer pen insert to be available locally and inexpensively (Fisher insert would be bonus)
    My purpose for this pen is more as an "EDC pen" than anything. I've got other tools that I'd use before using the pen as a striking weapon, but I wanted something that could ride in a pocket or bag and not break or get lost.

So far the only one I've tried is the Tao Pen by CRKT, based on a custom design by Allen Elishewitz. I got it from Brad's Knives at an Indy 1500 for around $40.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/brads_knives_and_knife_lady/155561-1_for_bradsknives.html

It fits most of my criteria but lacks in some areas. I don't like that it takes 30-seconds to unscrew the cap. As I wanted to use it for actually writing, this makes using it somewhat annoying. There are also some rounded cuts in the cap that aren't very comfortable when striking with my thumb positioned on top. Because of these issues I've reallocated it from EDC to riding in a gear bag. Its still a very tough pen, but isn't great for writing on the go.

14e7504.jpg

I also have the Tao pen by CRKT, and I have the same criticisms. I do like that I can carry it with me when I fly without any trouble, I just leave it in my laptop bag that I carry on. It's no knife or flashlight, but it's certainly better than nothing. Had I not bought mine off of a friend for $20, I doubt I would re-buy it.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I like Rick Hinderer's kubaton/tac pen lineup, but the prices are pretty high due to the titanium construction and hand-made-in-America fit and finish like all Hinderer gear.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

RedJester

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I also have a CountyComm Embassy pen. It would make a useful weapon in a pinch, but I mainly bought it for its heft and durability. I like the Jotters too. I have a few at work and one in my BOB.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Picked up a Jotter the other day when I stopped in at Staple's on the recommendations from this thread.

Nice pen and not so expensive that I'll feel very bad when I lose it. ;)

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Picked up a Jotter the other day when I stopped in at Staple's on the recommendations from this thread.

Nice pen and not so expensive that I'll feel very bad when I lose it. ;)

I CC mine, do you OC yours?

What do you think is best, CC vs OC? ;) :):

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I CC mine, do you OC yours?

What do you think is best, CC vs OC? ;) :):

It's nobody's business that I carry a pen. :shady:

They'll underestimate me as I blend in with the unequipped sheep. :sheep:

That is, until there arises some dire need to write a note or sign a document... :alright:

click click, my friend,

click click. :cool:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It's nobody's business that I carry a pen. :shady:

They'll underestimate me as I blend in with the unequipped sheep. :sheep:

That is, until there arises some dire need to write a note or sign a document... :alright:

click click, my friend,

click click. :cool:

You are not supposed to dry fire the pen. :n00b:

Unless you use inert ink cartridges to practice safely. :):

Top Bottom