• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I've seen braver cats. I've never seen a dog that afraid of the dark.

Back on subject, I've been dry firing the G17 and I have to get used to the trigger. Is there a kit I can install to make it better? It seems to have a lot of take-up and the reset is extremely long. It's also a heavy pull, but I guess I can deal with that.

NHT3 (Charlie Co) does a very nice job on the trigger. He worked on a G34 for me and it is very nice.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've seen braver cats. I've never seen a dog that afraid of the dark.

Back on subject, I've been dry firing the G17 and I have to get used to the trigger. Is there a kit I can install to make it better? It seems to have a lot of take-up and the reset is extremely long. It's also a heavy pull, but I guess I can deal with that.

Are you talking about the full travel of the trigger, or the actual point where the trigger resets? The former is very long, but the latter is one of the shortest you can get other than a 1911 or a Smith & Wesson 3rd gen DA/SA pistol. One of the "tricks" of learning to shoot a Glock well is allowing the trigger to move forward far enough to reset consistent, but not much further. When you're dry practicing or firing slowly, you can feel the reset very distinctly, especially when compared to an M&P.

And yes, there are things you can do to improve the trigger. I have 3.5# connectors in mine, which helps minimize the difference in the way the take-up feels and when the trigger is completing the tension on the striker. You can also do some polishing that will help. Or, there are a variety of aftermarket trigger groups you can install.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I actually held a G19 in my LGS last Friday after work. Felt about the same as I remembered. Then I went home and took a shower.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    NHT3 (Charlie Co) does a very nice job on the trigger. He worked on a G34 for me and it is very nice.

I'll second that. Charlie can tune that trigger to feel almost 1911 like. Almost... There are also some things you can do yourself to help it a bit like the 25 cent trigger job and adding a '-' connector.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I have always been pretty happy with the stock glock trigger, with the dot connector. Or without they're pretty nice. I'll probably snag another 17 one of these days but my 19 and 34 have me covered. Congrats Que and Lovemachine on getting to enjoy one of the best full size 9mm pistols on the market!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Are you talking about the full travel of the trigger, or the actual point where the trigger resets? The former is very long, but the latter is one of the shortest you can get other than a 1911 or a Smith & Wesson 3rd gen DA/SA pistol. One of the "tricks" of learning to shoot a Glock well is allowing the trigger to move forward far enough to reset consistent, but not much further. When you're dry practicing or firing slowly, you can feel the reset very distinctly, especially when compared to an M&P.

And yes, there are things you can do to improve the trigger. I have 3.5# connectors in mine, which helps minimize the difference in the way the take-up feels and when the trigger is completing the tension on the striker. You can also do some polishing that will help. Or, there are a variety of aftermarket trigger groups you can install.

Yes, the entire motion is long (both ways) compared to the PPQ. I will certainly look into some of the suggestions you guys have recommended.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I hate to admit it, but I've been carrying a G19 for the last 3 days. I usually carry the G23 when I'm playing with plastic, but on Friday, I took both my CZ 75 B Compact with the reworked trigger out and shot it along side my G19 and simply shot the G19 far better than I was shooting the CZ. I think the issue is the sights. The G19 sports a set of XS BigDots and the CZ has a set of Trijicon night sights. The Trijicon sights don't have much of a ring around the front sight to make them easier to see and I was just struggling to pick up the front sight. The G19 was different though. It was a breeze doing transitions and double taps so I decided that when I'm going to carry with capacity in mind, I'm going with the G19 until I can upgrade the CZ sights. I might order a set for my Remington R1S while I'm at it. That gun is only a decent set of night sights away from being a great carry gun.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yes, the entire motion is long (both ways) compared to the PPQ. I will certainly look into some of the suggestions you guys have recommended.

Ah! Okay ... well, the key is that when you're shooting, you don't let it travel that far.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Ah! Okay ... well, the key is that when you're shooting, you don't let it travel that far.

Yep, Rhino, as usual, is spot on. The secret on a Glock is to ride the trigger and feel the reset as you let it out, then don't let it go further before the next shot. Once you go down that road, you may have trouble easily picking up a different gun and transitioning to a different trigger system.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

Well, I squeeze the trigger until it goes "Bang!" and the I allow the trigger to reset for the next shot. I'm not sure how I can not allow it to travel that far? I'm not talking about letting the trigger travel beyond the reset.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Yep, Rhino, as usual, is spot on. The secret on a Glock is to ride the trigger and feel the reset as you let it out, then don't let it go further before the next shot. Once you go down that road, you may have trouble easily picking up a different gun and transitioning to a different trigger system.

I don't get this. Who shoots like this? I guess I'm not communicating effectively, so that's on me.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    There are parts out there that take a bunch of over travel out of the Glock trigger. I've seen two types in use, with one adding a small set screw to the left rear section of the plastic cage the trigger bar rides in. Another one adds a leg to the connector. The two both do the same thing by limiting the aft travel of the trigger. My G23 has the first type installed and it's nice in that it is adjustable. The only thing I don't like about that one is that it loads the cage funny and if the trigger is pulled back hard, can cause the whole part to twist a bit. I don't know if that's ever likely to be an issue though. The other type is cheaper and uses an extended leg on the right side, so there is not twisting of the trigger bar. The downside there is that it's not adjustable. You trim until it's where you want it to be and if you trim too much, you buy a new one.

Either way, you end up with a very short reset and a pretty darn nice trigger to boot. But, Glock triggers are funny things. During dry fire, the best of them feel like crap, being all spongy. Then, when you shoot the gun with live ammo, you don't feel that at all. With a bit of tweaking, you can make a very effective Glock trigger.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't get this. Who shoots like this? I guess I'm not communicating effectively, so that's on me.

That's how everyone I've trained with (Louis Awerbuck, John Farnam, Frank Sharpe, Henk Iverson, etc. etc.) teaches people to use a Glock trigger and how we teach it too. It's the same for similar striker-fired guns, although with some you can't always feel or hear a distinct reset (like the M&P).

Try this:

• Unload your Glock and double check that the chamber is clear
    • Get a firing grip with one hand
    • Point the muzzle in a safe direction (like you would for dry practice)
    • Rack the slide
    • Press the trigger and hold it pressed all the way - do NOT let it move
    • Rack the slide
    • Slowly allow the trigger to move forward until you feel and hear a "click"
    • Repeat

That's there the reset is. Your finger should move about an eighth of an inch, maybe a little more, but not much.

I've read that the reset on your PPQ is short, but if it's shorter than the Glock, it can't be by much.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    That's how everyone I've trained with (Louis Awerbuck, John Farnam, Frank Sharpe, Henk Iverson, etc. etc.) teaches people to use a Glock trigger and how we teach it too. It's the same for similar striker-fired guns, although with some you can't always feel or hear a distinct reset (like the M&P).

Try this:

• Rack the slide
    • Rack the slide
    • Repeat

That's there the reset is. Your finger should move about an eighth of an inch, maybe a little more, but not much.

I've read that the reset on your PPQ is short, but if it's shorter than the Glock, it can't be by much.

Rhino, what I am asking is, what other way is there to shoot any gun? What other way is there to conduct dry-fire exercises? I shoot like this; the way you just explained it. I'm not understanding how I can better explain this. To make it simple, my PPQ was more like a 1911 than the Glock.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Rhino, what I am asking is, what other way is there to shoot any gun? What other way is there to conduct dry-fire exercises? I shoot like this; the way you just explained it. I'm not understanding how I can better explain this. To make it simple, my PPQ was more like a 1911 than the Glock.

Okay, we're on the same page now. I thought you might be releasing the trigger all the way. Some people do that and do okay. Some even slap the trigger on Glocks very effectively, but they tend to have long fingers to be able to do it effectively the way you can a 1911 trigger.

After your clarification, I think it's just an inherent different in the guns. As others have mentioned, you can modify and/or replace the trigger mechanism, but I don't know how close that will get you to what you want.

I've only dry fired a PPQ on one occasion. The trigger felt pretty good, but I didn't notice that the reset was dramatically shorter than a Glocks. I'll have to compare them side by side if I ever have an opportunity.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    Just slap that trigger like its dirty time. Now, what you really need.. some ameriglo hackathorns and a Vickers mag release. Done. I never messed with glock triggers - perfectly workable out the box.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Try this:

• Rack the slide
    • Rack the slide
    • Repeat

Yep, it is the way to shoot a Glock. It is what makes it hard to transition to something else, and the main reason Apex has sold a bunch of RAM kits for M&Ps.

I tried an M&P and even with a RAM I couldn't make the switch. I wanted to do it, but couldn't.

Top Bottom