The video of Sam Dubose's death is so bad, Cincinnati is prepping for riots.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Peter Potamus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    Indianapolis
    At trial, codified law and not emotion will rule the day. From what little we can really see on the video, I think the officer is not guilty of a crime and will be acquitted. The media will spin like there's no tomorrow, because that's how they maximize profit, but I can't see anywhere the officer violated the law or procedure. Given all that is available to us (what little that is), it appears to be a good shoot.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Is it coincidence or fashion that the driver was dressed all in red and the guy who walked by had a red hat?

This is going to be a difficult murder case to make, IMHO.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    How many jury trials have you done? :D

:yesway:

One thing everyone is looking for during voir dire is dispassionate jurors who won't be swayed by emotion.

oj-simpson-trial-1-600x450.jpg

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Looks to me like the driver was guilty of being a dumbass. Couldn't answer a simple question about his license and didn't know you have to have a front plate for Ohio tags. Other then that, I am not really sure of what he did to get shot. If he was trying to drive off, there was another officer on the scene, they had his tag number and name, it should not that hard to go after him.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Looks to me like the driver was guilty of being a dumbass. Couldn't answer a simple question about his license and didn't know you have to have a front plate for Ohio tags. Other then that, I am not really sure of what he did to get shot. If he was trying to drive off, there was another officer on the scene, they had his tag number and name, it should not that hard to go after him.

The driver didn't have a license and hadn't had for a long time. He was playing dumb and being evasive and the cop picked up on that.

He didn't have a license, but what he did have was between 13 and 20 kids according to estimates​ from a relative. That's a heck of a lot of claimants for the wrongful death suit.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    As a younger person, I always just assumed fleeing had a really high probability of getting one shot or otherwise killed. I guess I still have that expectation, and don't find myself feeling too bad for this fella.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Is it coincidence or fashion that the driver was dressed all in red and the guy who walked by had a red hat? This is going to be a difficult murder case to make, IMHO.
    If they're such big fans of that color out there, they should consider getting an MLB team with that as their color. In fact, they could call them "The Reds."

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    The driver driving away when the cop is partially in the vehicle puts the officer in grave danger. The officer has the right to defend himself from being dragged by a vehicle.

It looked like the cop was going for the keys right after the driver started the car. All it takes is a ring, watch, wrist ect. to get hung up in the vehicle then the officer is going on a very bad ride.

Peter Potamus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    Indianapolis
    The driver driving away when the cop is partially in the vehicle puts the officer in grave danger. The officer has the right to defend himself from being dragged by a vehicle.

It looked like the cop was going for the keys right after the driver started the car. All it takes is a ring, watch, wrist ect. to get hung up in the vehicle then the officer is going on a very bad ride.

Agreed. I just watched a slow-motion of the very blurry cam video and the perps hands are in full view and in front of the perp at all times. I don't think the officer has a defense that he saw/thought weapon but he may well have a defense that he was in fear of being entrapped by the vehicle and dragged. He does have a right to defend his life and that includes, if required, deadly force. That's where his defense at trial will likely be centered.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The LEO seemed very reasonable and wasn't being an ass, at least from my perspective.

I was guessing that when he ordered him out of the vehicle he was going to pat him down hoping to find ID, but that is just a guess.

A brief search didn't yield direct Ohio law but I came across this link from the "Digest of Ohio Motor Vehicle Laws": https://driversed.com/resources/dhb/OH-dhb.pdf

On page 12 it explains that "Failure to display license - A person must display a driver license or furnish proof of having a license upon demand of any police officer or person injured in a collision." I don't know how you could provide proof of a having a license without the license itself? That said, the driver was required to provide something.

From what I saw the shooting was spontaneous and reactionary. I am guessing that he felt under attack by the car swerving toward him. Note I use the word "felt." I don't think he was thinking anything at all in that brief moment. This is where training would be critical to get him to respond in a predetermined manner.

All that said, had the driver complied with all requests and gotten out of the vehicle the WORST he would have faced was arrest and maybe(?) losing his job. He would have quickly gotten out of jail and could find another job. Regrettably, he cannot find his way out of a coffin.

I do wonder what would have happened IF he hadn't been shot? Would there have been a police chase? Most likely. How would it have ended? Would the driver have walked away after injuring or killing someone else? Would the driver and a LEO been killed and/or injured? This is something that we will never know. Let us not presume that the worst case scenario just happened. Sure, it could have ended a LOT better, but it just as well could have ended a LOT worse.

Regards,

Doug

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I watched the video.

From all the hype, I expected it to be clear cut.

For me, it wasn't.

Am i just ignorant?

Top Bottom