• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN
    Last year for our wedding anniversary we got Hi Point .40's. Money was tight and to get a .40 for under $200 we thought, what the heck. They worked great for a while and I had mine dialed in really nice. Well, things went bad in less than 500 rounds. Both guns got sent back to the company and were pretty much rebuilt. So far no problems, but they did replace the sights so now I have to dial it in again. :xmad: Hi Point customer service is FANTASTIC!!! Guns were fixed at no charge and they sent extra clips with each pistol. :rockwoot:

Draw back to these pistols is that they are BIG and HEAVY!!!!. It is not the most comfortable thing to carry around. I've done several times and it lets you know it's there. I have a compact Cobra .380 apc that fits in the pocket really nice but I hope I never have to draw it. In the end it would be better than harsh language.

So I've been reading up on 9mm for a couple reasons. Main reason being rounds are less expensive, this will allow for more fun at the range. Ballistics are more than acceptable.

Requirements for my future 9mm is that #1 it must be reliable. #2 accurate, #3 comfortable and #4 lightweight #5 easy to conceal. It doesn't have to fit in a pocket, I don't want to go to the subcompact size.

I read a lot of what was said about the CZ and was interested. I know thoughts and opinions will vary, I'm looking for insight from those who have more experience that I with these things, so thank you.

All that being said I would not be adverse to a revolver. I find my gaze drifting to them in the gun cabinets. I think there is something primal with a big revolver.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Requirements for my future 9mm is that #1 it must be reliable. #2 accurate, #3 comfortable and #4 lightweight #5 easy to conceal. It doesn't have to fit in a pocket, I don't want to go to the subcompact size.

The first 2 guns that come to mind that fits your requirements are:

Glock 19
    S&W M&P 9c

I have both of them. And I love them both.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Glock??:whistle:
    G19 or G26

I believe its all personal preference...I like my Glocks-:D
    But there is alot out there, so your just gonna have to find what fits you, your budget, etc.

dpbstevens

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 23, 2011
    Akron
    I love my sig p250 its a full size but i have shot the compact size before and i wouldnt rule them out they are reasonably priced accurate and all the good stuff. if you haven't looked into them give them a look.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    You can get a Kel-Tec PF9 new for under $300. Six in the mag and one in the chamber. I have had mine for about a year now. It has served me very well.

monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN
    I've had my eye on a Glock. I've been reading more about the Kel-Tecs. I do like the availability of accessories for the Glock. There was a Ruger, forget the model, that had a very nice price point $365.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Glock 26 or Glock 19
    Smith & Wesson M&P9c
    Ruger SR9C
    Ruger LC9

Those 5 would be great places to start looking and you should be able to get into any of those new for around $525-ish or less. All are from companies with outstanding products and with outstanding customer service plus accessories for those are going to be plentiful, especially for the Glocks when compared to many other makes and models.

Good luck!

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    SW

Last year for our wedding anniversary we got Hi Point .40's. Money was tight and to get a .40 for under $200 we thought, what the heck. They worked great for a while and I had mine dialed in really nice. Well, things went bad in less than 500 rounds. Both guns got sent back to the company and were pretty much rebuilt. So far no problems, but they did replace the sights so now I have to dial it in again. :xmad: Hi Point customer service is FANTASTIC!!! Guns were fixed at no charge and they sent extra clips with each pistol. :rockwoot:

Draw back to these pistols is that they are BIG and HEAVY!!!!. It is not the most comfortable thing to carry around. I've done several times and it lets you know it's there. I have a compact Cobra .380 apc that fits in the pocket really nice but I hope I never have to draw it. In the end it would be better than harsh language.

So I've been reading up on 9mm for a couple reasons. Main reason being rounds are less expensive, this will allow for more fun at the range. Ballistics are more than acceptable.

I read a lot of what was said about the CZ and was interested. I know thoughts and opinions will vary, I'm looking for insight from those who have more experience that I with these things, so thank you.

All that being said I would not be adverse to a revolver. I find my gaze drifting to them in the gun cabinets. I think there is something primal with a big revolver.

SW 442 38. Reliable, accurate enough with practice, will last and last.
    I have seen them from $349- $389.
    Also, VERY simple to use.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    What is your budget? That's the first question once you've decided on the 9mm. The recommendations that have been made are all good to great guns but a few would stretch a budget.

Indy Wing Chun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    NE Side of Indy
    The "end of discussion" on my post was hyperlinked to another thread on here regarding Glock owners. It's wasn't meant to be taken seriously. Sorry 'bout that.

Glocks are good, they'll meet your criteria.
    #1 it must be reliable (They are)
    #2 accurate (More depends on the operator, but yes they are)
    #3 comfortable (ALWAYS opinion based. Just gotta try one out)
    #4 lightweight (I would say yes. They tend to hold more ammo, so that adds up)
    #5 easy to conceal (This is more of a rig and clothing dependence than firearm choice, but I'd say yes)

Also, a sub-compact Glock is NO pocket gun either. But still might help in concealability.

With all that said, there are PLENTY of other guns that fit your criteria just as well, if not more so than a Glock. Other posters have given some great ones to try as a starting point.

As far as a wheel gun is concerned, many people really like the simplicity and a lot of people will tell you that this is the best gun for a woman (your wife). Again, all subjective. Internet forum research is a great way to get some IDEAS about starting points, but you've got to "get your hands dirty" so to speak and check out as many as you can. Do you have any other friends that own firearms that will let you shoot? I have and still do rely on the kindness of friends to try out firearms. Also, ask people at the range if you could squeeze off a few rounds if they have a gun you're interested in. I can't tell you how many times I've "gun swapped" at the range. Shooters, for the most part, are some of the friendliest bunch you'll find!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom