• ...and so much more!
  • wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute
    Don't count out the Taurus PT709 :)

Taurus has come a LONG way in the past few years and my "slim" has served me well. NOT a pocket gun, but easy to conceal (single stack, 7 mag, 1 chamber) and light enough to be very comfortable. Great value for the price. I have about 800 rounds through mine without a hitch :D

As already stated, go shoot a bunch of different ones.....SOMEBODY'S got to do it :rockwoot::rockwoot:

monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN
    It is always nice to test drive before you buy. I need to head to the club and see what I might be able to try. Barring that maybe I'll head to Dons guns and rent a few for a bit.

I sure do like the way a Beretta looks.

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    maybe I'll head to Dons guns and rent a few for a bit.

Val%2BKilmer%2BLP%2BNOOOOO.jpg

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Lot of great options out there now...Glock, Kahr, Kel Tec, S&W...the list goes on.

I'm a big fan of the 9mm, and as has already been stated, find what fits and feels good to you. You will be well armed with a 9mm of any that have been mentioned here. Having said that...my first choice...a Glock 19, followed by the excellent Kahr family.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    It is always nice to test drive before you buy. I need to head to the club and see what I might be able to try. Barring that maybe I'll head to Dons guns and rent a few for a bit.

I sure do like the way a Beretta looks.
    stooges_face_palm.jpg

3nd3p83l1ZZZZZZZZZ91r972bab900c3d18.jpg

Now, that being said....I prefer .40 but do understand the cost of ammo factor. My SAXD.40SC is fantastic and with a 9mm drop in barrel I will have the best of both worlds. I also really like my Beretta 90-two (.40 but avail in 9mm) although it is a bit large for CC.
    S5006885.jpg

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm a fan of the CZ family of guns. They meet most of your criteria except weight. But, my opinion is that light is overrated in handguns. If you have a good quality holster and belt, an all steel gun will carry like it's not there. If your into cheap nylon and dress belts, a heavy gun will flop around like you tied a dead possum on your best by it's tail.

But, there is little you can do to a light gun to give it the feel of a heavy gun. Heavy guns shoot like a dream and follow up shots are much faster than with a light gun. One of my carry guns is a CZ 97B which is a 10+1 45 acp pistol that gets close to the 3lbs mark. With a good belt and holster, it feels good. My normal carry is either a 1911, full size CZ 75 or CZ 75 Compact. All are considered heavy by Glock standards but all carry very well in good holsters and all are very smooth to shoot.

The thing I like about the CZs is that I can disassemble the gun down to the very last part and reassemble easily. The 1911s and Hi Powers share that attribute. I'm not a fan of guns that have a bunch of tiny springs inside that cannot be easily reassembled if you do take one down. I can't knock Glocks, as I've never owned one, but I've shot them and did not come away smitten with them. They are great guns for some, but just don't seem to work well for me.

Last edited:

andfc

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Like others have said, your budget is important.

You can't go wrong with a Glock or S&W M&P, in whatever flavor you prefer. I have settled on a Glock 19, but there are a lot of good options. If you want to spend more for cutting-edge ergonomics and design, check out the Walther PPQ. If you want a great value, the Ruger SR9C is really comfortable and compact. If you're turned off by plastic and want to go with something bigger and more classic, a CZ-75 or a Browning Hi-Power might be up your alley.

I wasn't really interested in a single-stack 9mm. That being said, my favorites are the Walther PPS for a fuller grip and the Diamondback DB9 for pocket. The Kahrs and the Ruger LC9 are worth considering too.

Don's leaves a nasty taste in everyone's mouth, and there are much better shops and ranges around. Indy Trading Post on the south side has a brand new range and their prices are really reasonable, and if the east side is a lot more convenient, Pop Guns is pretty good as long as it's not crowded. Even if you're coming from right next to Don's, driving across town will be less aggravating then actually going there.

jimmyw86

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Broad Ripple
    I paid 360 brand new for my 9mm sig p250 and it was a great gun especially for the cost. I now my have p30 which was 780 and I absolutely love it. My roommate is selling his glock. Let me check and see what hes selling it for.

jimmyw86

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Broad Ripple
    Would I pay 800 for another 9mm? Probably not. Go to the gun n knife show on the 13-15 and you'll find yourself a good deal. Thats where I got my p250 for 360.

monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN
    a heavy gun will flop around like you tied a dead possum on your best by it's tail.

The Hi Point .40 I have states that it is 35oz and that is unloaded. A loaded Glock 19 weighs 30oz loaded according to Glocks site. I know comparing a .40 to a 9mm isn't quite apples to apples but I'm sure you get the idea.

I hope to be trying some various 9s out soon.

monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN
    Don's leaves a nasty taste in everyone's mouth, and there are much better shops and ranges around. Indy Trading Post on the south side has a brand new range and their prices are really reasonable, and if the east side is a lot more convenient, Pop Guns is pretty good as long as it's not crowded. Even if you're coming from right next to Don's, driving across town will be less aggravating then actually going there.

Good to know. Guns shops around Indy I'm not too familiar with.

monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN
    Go to the gun n knife show on the 13-15 and you'll find yourself a good deal. Thats where I got my p250 for 360.

I'm on call over that weekend. Pending how the week goes I may try to venture over there, I just have to be sure I can get to some WIFI. I love the shows, nice to shop and look. Wish I could do my taxes, I've got an economy to support.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I'm going to try out a bunch of Summer guns of the 9mm variety at the 1500. I carry a .45 M&P Mid in a Supertuck but sometimes the weather is just too hot for pants and a gun belt. I'm leaning towards the PF9. I know the CW9, LC9, and the Glock 36(?) are other options to try out. I do like that PF9 price though.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I was torn between a S&W MP 9mm or .40, both in the Pro Series......I ended up deciding on a 9mm for several reasons. One is my joint problems, and I knew I wanted to shoot a lot. The 9mm is far less punishing. Also the ammo is cheaper.

My MP has been flawless, 3200 rounds down the pipe since June, no problems at all. I plan on many more with it. The cost was $490

Top Bottom