• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN
    Stopped by a Big R today and tried on a few 9's for feel. There were several Rugers, a Taurus, a CZ and a S&W. I really liked the feel of the S&W, it was a 9ve. The CZ was my next favorite. Price tag on the S&W. Held a Glock 26, was too short. I had a finger and a half hanging free.

Held, again, a Judge. I gotta say, I really like those.

Nick

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I have a Taurus PT111. Its great for concealed carry. 12 plus 1 is also a feature I love.

Hazwhopper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    I did something like you did, I bought a 40 hi point. Read all about how crappy they were. I disagree with that. It is heavy and bulky. I believe that you could buy a 9mm or 40 for about same money. The good thing about some 40's is that you could buy another barrel and chamber it in 357 Sig. The clips are the same. Changing out the barrel is easy, once you understand how to take them apart.
    There are many 40's out there. They are just as cheap to shoot as 9mm's plus they offer more in ballistics.
    As far as 9mm's go, I have 3. 1 is a hi point. The other 2 are Smith & Wesson. They are both of the alike, 1 is the model 5906 and other is 669. They are older weapons and you can purchase reasonably. They both accept the 5906 mag and they hold 15 + 1 rounds. I found the 1990's model 5906 to be very accurate. (That is in how much you practice) I found that if I use quality factory loads that they perform very well. No Fail to Fires (ftf) or stove piping (one that has brass stuck in slide with bottom out). I believe that most weapons are reliable. If you get some exotic ammo, you might have problems. The 2 facts I just stated are accurate for most weapons.
    I believe that either a 9mm or 40 is comfortable to carry. If you get the ones that carry alot of rounds, sounds good in concept, but if you don't buy a very good holster, you will be feeling it over the course of a day. So I chose the shoulder holster for comfort. I practice with 9mm and on a clear day with no wind - I can shoot 12 empty shot gun shells off the top of a fence rail at 25 yards using 15 rounds. I use a rest and take my time. Good luck.

monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN
    I think I've changed my mind.

Pending the tax return I think I'm going to go with a .357. If I have the cash I'd really like to get a Ruger GP100 with a 4" barrel, if not one of the Taurus 66 types with the 4" barrel.

.38 ammo is more expensive than the 9mm for plinking to be sure, but the .357 for protection make me feel better than a 9mm.

Still time to fret over this one. :dunno:

Plisken

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Under the radar
    9mms

I currently have the springfield xdsc 9mm and its a great gun. Im goin to buy the xdm 3.8 9mm to carry in cool weather and shoot at our tactical club and give my son the xdsc. I recomend the xd or xdm series. Also you mentioned cz pistols. I had the pcr compact and it was a great gun. I sometimes wish I still had it.

Oldbird13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    Hamilton County,IN
    I own both the CZ 75BD and the Beretta M9 and both are great shooting, reliable as hell and simple,easy take down. Have proven themselves with many law enforcement and military personnel throughout the world.

cst

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Consider the Berretta Nano 9mm--with my Remora holster it's a match made in heaven.
    For me anyway--good luck in your search

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    I think a glock19 with +p+ would be the ticket for ya..
    :popcorn:
    Light, large mag capacity, price, concealable but not subcompact,easy to maintain.

tacmedic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have a Ruger P85 and a P95, both are 9mm, both are accurate and both are small enough for concealed carry. I have had the P85 for almost twenty years and have never had an issue with it. The P95 is much newer, but has been just as reliable. You should be able to find either used for less than $300. Both take 15 roung mags. A 9mm will never match a 357 mag's balistics, but with quality hollow point ammunition a 9mm hand gun is an effective self defense tool that carries up to three times as many shots before requiring a reload. I believe that the "best" gun is the one that you have when the need arises.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2011
    Greene County
    I had a Beretta 92FS...Shot a cat 4 times, and still didn't kill it. I know I needed to shoot the cat 6 more times to kill it, but I think you get my point. The 40 S&W is a much better round, with 45 Auto being KING!!! Onto the handgun in 9mm, the Springfield XD Sub Compact is a fantastic weapon and can be bought for just $435.00 (New). It is a 9mm but the best gun you have is the one you have when you need it!!!!

T-Mann

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Michiana Area
    ....but I think you get my point. The 40 S&W is a much better round, with 45 Auto being KING!!!...

Where does .357 fit into your equation? What about the .44 (both Special and Mag)?

Anyway....

OP,

During the Fall/Winter I carry a Ruger SP101, however, this is not what you are looking for and during the Spring and Summer when wearing lighter clothing it does not conceal as easy as a single stack 9.

There have been plenty of great recommendations in this thread....like the offerings from S&W, Glock, SA, etc.

You mentioned conceal-ability, and that is what lead me to the single stack 9mms for warmer weather carrying. During the Warmer weather I carry the Ruger LC9 or the Kahr CW9.

The single-stack magazine makes them a bit thinner and easier (for me) to conceal.....but I have a small-medium frame. Those with a larger frame probably won't have as much of a problem with a double-stack printing.

This Spring I will be carrying only the LC9. Not that there is a problem with the CW9 it is a mighty fine firearm, however, my personal preference is for hammer fired sidearms. Not that they are any better than striker fired firearms, it is just a personal preference.

As others have said, get into someplace and get your hand wrapped around as many firearms as you can and see what fits the best. Then try and get to the range with as many of those comfortable firearms as you can.

Mechy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I'll throw in a vote for the XD

I've got an XD that I really like, so that's my vote. But if you've got a bit more to spend, I've shot a Walther P99 a few times and it sure was nice.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Try the Glocks/M&P/XDm's to see if one fits your purposes.

Also, the Ruger SR9c is a pretty awesome little gun. Shot my cousin's not to long ago and was very impressed with it. They have a real carry gun winner there.

and modern 9mm hollowpoints are more than enough for personal protection.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I had a Beretta 92FS...Shot a cat 4 times, and still didn't kill it. I know I needed to shoot the cat 6 more times to kill it, but I think you get my point. The 40 S&W is a much better round, with 45 Auto being KING!!! Onto the handgun in 9mm, the Springfield XD Sub Compact is a fantastic weapon and can be bought for just $435.00 (New). It is a 9mm but the best gun you have is the one you have when you need it!!!!

That is nothing but interwebz bable!

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Try the Glocks/M&P/XDm's to see if one fits your purposes.

Also, the Ruger SR9c is a pretty awesome little gun. Shot my cousin's not to long ago and was very impressed with it. They have a real carry gun winner there.

and modern 9mm hollowpoints are more than enough for personal protection.

+1, I love my 45's but with good ammo the 9mm is plenty. There are a ton of great options out there, we argue about them all the time on here. :):

woodcox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Westside of Indy
    Im lilkely repeating some options, but I just got done with this 9mm search.

Budget:
    PF-9 (not range gun, little harsh to shoot, very concealable)
    P-11 (wider double stack, more comfortable to shoot, been on the market longer)
    CW9 (its been mentioned, but this is a great single stack 9mm for the price!)
    Used glock 17 or 19 (reliable, but a bit boring in my opinion, many other reliable gun choices)

Bit more money:
    CZ75 (this is what I ended up with, CZ75D compact)
    Glock 17/19, Springfield xd/xdm, Ruger sr9/sr9c

Check out this website, helped give me some ideas.
    The Best Nines - Best 9mm Pistol Site handgun review test gun dealer auction
    Same website, but peoples choice:
    http://www.best9mm.com/pistolvote.html

The CZ75 is a ledendary gun and you will certainly not be dissapointed! Check out the P01 (alloy frame) or Sp01 Phantom (polymer frame) for lighter weight.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    It's not the caliber but rather shot placement.I bet if you shot the cat in the head you wouldn't have needed to fire the added shots.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom