• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    If you're going to include bands like Motley Crue and GnR as classic rock, then you have to go the other way and put Chuck Berry at #1. Without Chuck Berry you dont have a lot of those artists.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    AS stated before the day MTV came on the air classic era rock ended..
    the MTV era to me is not classic rock. The MTV era became much more robust as to what became popular socially on the radio airwaves.

so classic rock say 1956 to aug 1 1981. I think 1965 to 1981. (Is Elvis classic rock or johnny cash or little Richard?)
    lots of hair bands not classic rock. Heck most of OZZY stuff not classic rock outside of Black Sabbath. ZZ Top stuff before 1981 was better than the stuff after but the stuff after is more popular. Only the Bon Scott AC/DC stuff is classic rock. Van Halen would have good albums in both era’s and to most be deemed classic rock but only Van Halen one two and women and children first quality under MY definition. To me they are the best three Van Halen albums anyway.

Dire straights another group that edges both era’s. Only the self titled album communique and making movies make the pre 1981 cut. I think these three are better than love over gold brothers in arms and on every street but because of MTV brothers in arms sold 17x platinum and dire straights self titled only sold 4x platinum but is the better record.

still a fan of live recording and let us face it. Frampton comes alive, live at Leeds (the who for you youngsters) and you get what you play for (roe speedwagon) are great live recordings of rock stars doing rock star things. REO speedwagon another band that hits the borderline were rockers in the 1970’s and ballad in the 1980-90 MTV era. Much better pre 1981.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I remember WZZQ, The Buzzard" out of Terra Haute back in the late 1080's/early 1990's. Great station, real hard core about rock and roll music. I remember they changed their call in telephone numbers. IIRC they were 478-ROCK and 478-ROLL. I remember they announced that morning they would not be giving the number equivalent of the letters. That way if you had to be able to spell it would cut down on requests for Michael Jackson and Madonna songs. Yes, I loved that station till one morning I did not recognize the music. Some idiot had changed the format to pop music and canned all the old disc jockeys. Had to find another station. Jim.

Top Bottom