8) CZ 75
    9) Ruger SP101 9mm
    10) Kahr P9

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Wow Can't believe I missed this thread, as long as it has been around. But I also can't believe that the Ruger P89 series was only mentioned on a couple of lists! I have a P95 DC (basicly in the same family) and like one member said they are tanks! Like everything else made by Bill Ruger's company it is rugged reliable and hard to break. They may not be pretty to everyone and are a bit on the large size but it just has to be somewhere on everyone's top ten list of 9mm's.

A P95 is my carry gun. It's been flawless.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    Just out of curiosity, have you even owned a C9? Fired one? Even held one?

Owned One? No
    Fired one? Yes
    Held one? Yes

Friend of mine had one, seemed like a complete piece of junk when I held it, proved when we went to shoot it and couldn't seem to get through one mag without a malfunction. I'm sure there are people that will say they never had issues with them and I respect that, but from what I have seen I would never rely on one for a self-defense pistol for any price.

EDIT: Here is an old article I just found, seems I'm not the only one that has seen this:
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/05/benjamin-t-shotzberger/gun-review-hi-point-c9-9mm-pistol/

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Now I've been around here long enough to know that you are very knowledgeable. But, I would be interested in hearing how one credits the 92 with being the semi-auto that "led the law enforcement sea change from revolvers to semi-autos. Helped inspire the trend toward higher capacity semi-autos in the commercial market as well". The military didn't put it in service until 1990. I have always (possibly incorrectly) credited the Glock 17 with what you credit the 92. While the 92 had been around since the mid 70's it really hadn't penetrated the US law enforcement market. I was under the impression that until the 17 was introduced most law enforcement were still relying on their revolvers. I thought Glock came to market at the perfect time. Right around the '86 Miami Shootout. A shootout where law enforcement brought revolvers to a semi auto-party and which became the impetus for the move from revolvers.
    I was waiting for someone, to respond..... THE S&W Model 59, was adopted by the Illinois State police, shortly after it was introduced..... IIRC ..... ( might have been the 39).....
    S&W, it is what I own, and carry !!!!!

Last edited:

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    I have a Model 59 too. It's a good gun and has sentimental value to me. It's accurate and now reliable for me. I don't like the width of grip and I don't care for the configuration of safety. It's works just opposite of 1911 thumb safety. I would not put it on my top list.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    It makes no sence to make a top 10 list and populate it with 3 or 4 varrients of the same model, FANBOIS.

Glock Platform
    Beretta 51 / 92 platform
    Walther P99
    H&K P7
    Sig 210
    Walther P5
    S&W 59XX series (especialy 3'rd gen)
    Browning Hi-Power
    Walther P38
    Ruger P89

Rated for things like Inovation, durrability, military / LEO acceptance, and longevity in a competative market; not because I own 10 of them.

Top Bottom