• ...and so much more!
  • mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    doddg, like was already mentioned, you are building up a nice stable of firearms. Not only did you have the fun to try so many out, the experience has helped you to dial in some really nice pieces.

And I'm with you on the S&W 41. They really are the .22 semi-auto pistol.

Looking forward to your report on the 365 and especially how it compares to your Shield since I currently own the Shield.

Doddg - If you end up looking for a M41 and don't buy new...you might look for something like the following. Not saying you need to buy that one, I just know you like to research.

S & W Model 41 1979

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Did? Didn't? Will? Won't? Coulda/Woulda/Shoulda, Translated:
    I think Saturday the Dodger is getting a new Sig 365, so we will have something to read about on Sunday morning?
    Right?

He already got it.

Doddg - If you end up looking for a M41 and don't buy new...you might look for something like the following. Not saying you need to buy that one, I just know you like to research.

S & W Model 41 1979

Interesting, I didn't even know that forum had a classified (of course I wasn't aware that INGO had a classified for quite some time either), but I don't spend much time over there. Only head over there when things get really slow.
    It's not nearly as informative, friendly or as well moderated, and of course, people are from all over the country there.

Thanks for the link though, I'll have to check out what's going on in their classifieds (really just for context on prices, etc as I'm not too interested in buying from someone I don't know from INGO that is not local, etc).

Last edited:

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    I was in Rural King in Martinsville today and they didn’t have any Sig 365’s in the display case. They did have a Ruger Security 9 and a S&W M&P380 Shield EZ in the case. They both felt good in hand and I was amazed how easy the slide was on the Shield. My wife has gotten to where she can rack the slide on our 9mm without a problem, but I can see the draw to the Shield for people that struggle with the slide.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Did? Didn't? Will? Won't? Coulda/Woulda/Shoulda, Translated:
    I think Saturday the Dodger is getting a new Sig 365, so we will have something to read about on Sunday morning?
    Right?
    1. Got one Thursday evening at 8pm after picking up a Rami from a member at 7pm: my kind of lifestyle of fun. :rockwoot:

doddg, like was already mentioned, you are building up a nice stable of firearms. Not only did you have the fun to try so many out, the experience has helped you to dial in some really nice pieces.

2. I agree! I get criticized for my approach, but it is my idea of fun, and it has taught me what I like and don't like, which has been a direct correlation between this site and all the advice (including criticism) and my focusing on products.
    3. I think my recent and quick love affair with the CZ has illustrated that after my having a S/W .22LR, .380acp, .38 revolver, 9mm, .45 caliber and assorted other Smith revolvers.

And I'm with you on the S&W 41. They really are the .22 semi-auto pistol.

4. It will happen, but I'm in no hurry and need to recover $$, and sell a few items to raise funds (I have a "new" SUV to pay off b/c I don't suffer debt and especially interest well.

Looking forward to your report on the 365 and especially how it compares to your Shield since I currently own the Shield.

5. Me too! But with my 45th anniversary tonight, and selling the car, I might not be able to get to the range at all this weekend: gives me a chance to prove to the wife I like her better than guns, but I had to quit answering the cell with people wanting to come and see the Corolla! :rofl:

Oh so he has the Sig, ok then I give him the weekend to try it and like it, or list it or trade it for something else.

6. A fair observation, but in this case I had range time with a friend's 365 (posted with my range pics somewhere), and I was astounded at the accuracy, lightweight, size and it just put a smile on my face: the Shield is functional and a great tool, but for the reasons I like the Shield 9, I like the Sig 365 better.
    7. Time will tell, and I'm just as interested as others to see how the story will unfold: typical buy, shoot and sell, or a keeper. :popcorn:

S & W Model 41 1979

8. Thanks, my friend: I'll check it out as soon as my wife gets distracted from this "anniversary" thing: actually, she is out playing with the flowers is why I'm typing here, then we have to watch a Hallmark Romance movie I recorded for her last week.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    S & W Model 41 1979

1. I went to the link, just to discover I was a member there: must have been when I was doing some research a long time ago.
    2. I liked the profile, but couldn't tell whether the 41 was a 5.5" or a 7" barrel.
    3. I basically would buy the gun but don't know anything about buying from an individual out of state so as to be safe and secure.
    4. I assume he'd have to go to an FFL there and send it to my FFL.
    5. But, how do you insure you are safe? Meaning that you get the gun you paid for (no bait and switch) and it is as described, and how is the money handled?
    6. If I could pay through PayPal, I think there is some protection there from a "con," but the 80 yr. old might not even have a PayPal account.

7. I know: questions, questions and more questions. My trust issues come to the forefront. :ugh:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Just saying from personal experience stay the hell away from newer production Model 41's. My father bought one two years ago and that SOB would not run to save it's life , had to send it to Smith and Wesson twice and run about 2,000 mimi-mags through it before it would shoot through a 10 round magazine jam free.

It's a beautiful 22 but honestly look up an old Match Target Colt Woodsman. Same basic shape with better lines and they shoot amazingly well. I will grab some photos of mine tomorrow as they are kind of hard to come by

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    1. I went to the link, just to discover I was a member there: must have been when I was doing some research a long time ago.
    2. I liked the profile, but couldn't tell whether the 41 was a 5.5" or a 7" barrel.
    3. I basically would buy the gun but don't know anything about buying from an individual out of state so as to be safe and secure.
    4. I assume he'd have to go to an FFL there and send it to my FFL.
    5. But, how do you insure you are safe? Meaning that you get the gun you paid for (no bait and switch) and it is as described, and how is the money handled?
    6. If I could pay through PayPal, I think there is some protection there from a "con," but the 80 yr. old might not even have a PayPal account.

7. I know: questions, questions and more questions. My trust issues come to the forefront. :ugh:

It takes a bit of leap of faith to buy out of state but I have bought several from the SW site without issues. The sale usually involves a phone call and getting the "right feeling"; then it is just a matter of sending him a payment, it clearing and (if your FFL will accept an individual shipment) mailing it to your FFL to be transferred to you. Your FFL may require him to send it from an FFL.

I did have once instance with some concern revolving around condition. We made the sale subject to his shipping FFL talking with my FFL once the gun was in possession of shipping FFL. The seller was more than willing to oblige and everything worked out fine.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just saying from personal experience stay the hell away from newer production Model 41's. My father bought one two years ago and that SOB would not run to save it's life , had to send it to Smith and Wesson twice and run about 2,000 mimi-mags through it before it would shoot through a 10 round magazine jam free.

1. I just put that into long-term memory: thanks for the tip!

It's a beautiful 22 but honestly look up an old Match Target Colt Woodsman. Same basic shape with better lines and they shoot amazingly well. I will grab some photos of mine tomorrow as they are kind of hard to come by

2. I'll write that down! It seems l like I've seen one of those before at a shop I'm not allowed to mention in Noblesville before.

It takes a bit of leap of faith to buy out of state but I have bought several from the SW site without issues. The sale usually involves a phone call and getting the "right feeling"; then it is just a matter of sending him a payment, it clearing and (if your FFL will accept an individual shipment) mailing it to your FFL to be transferred to you. Your FFL may require him to send it from an FFL.
    I did have once instance with some concern revolving around condition. We made the sale subject to his shipping FFL talking with my FFL once the gun was in possession of shipping FFL. The seller was more than willing to oblige and everything worked out fine.

1. That is a tough one, having to send a payment sight-unseen.
    2. It sounds like you sent payment after your FFL was in possession and checked the gun out (if I understood that correctly): much better scenario.
    3. That is really what I would expect if I was selling a gun out of state or shipping anywhere.
    4. Thanks for the input.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON

Saying that all newer production guns are bad based on a sample size of one is a little harsh.
    I know several owners with newer production guns, made in the last 10 years?, that shoot fine with no problem or so the owners claim.
    I also have seen some of the older guns be problem child's with reliability issues.

Just like anything you can and always have been able to get a bad one or one that needs a little help.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Sorry but what's a
    "RAMI" ?!?
    Anniversary present for the wife?

I am giving her a Rami on our 45th ?

My wife and I just celebrated 40 (somebody please shoot me) on Jul 6th, and she got wood, as in a dining room set.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Saying that all newer production guns are bad based on a sample size of one is a little harsh.
    I know several owners with newer production guns, made in the last 10 years?, that shoot fine with no problem or so the owners claim.
    I also have seen some of the older guns be problem child's with reliability issues.
    Just like anything you can and always have been able to get a bad one or one that needs a little help.

1. I totally get that, and I knew someone would comment and be a more "balanced" view, but I do understand how our experience can "taint" our viewpoint.
    2. I wouldn't buy a Taurus semi-auto for half-price (bad experience with one), but many have a good experience. Taurus didn't return the gun for months and months when sent in for repair.
    3. To illustrate your point, I took a Ruger SP100 .22LR in trade that had a bad "something" (not all the rounds would fire even with 4 different kinds of ammo) and I had to send it back. Hopefully it won't take months to get it back.
    4. I have had and have other Rugers that are fantastic, and my attitude toward them will remain good, I just drew the "short-straw."

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    A lot of the reports I’ve seen from the current SW 41s, seem to be perfect or picky. Either they run withoutissue or are just overly picky to the point of frustration, haven’t seen a lot in between.

I don’t have any personal experience with them though so I can only repeat what I’ve read on different forums. The only commonality I’ve seen is everyone agrees the older ones were better, but that seems to be true of most firearms.

Top Bottom