• ...and so much more!
  • T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    That's what I'm getting at. Find a training class that works for what you carry, etc.

If I carried a revolver, I'd train and attend training classes using a revolver.
    I agree. I train how I carry and carry how I train. Simple as that. Last thing I need in a self defense situation is reaching for a different gun in a different location than how I practiced.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You constantly indicate that you get grief, etc or go out of your way to state that you won't say something due to that, etc. Probably time to let some of that go. Yes, you will get many different opinions on INGO. Obviously everyone will incorporate some and discard others, etc. But constantly going out of your way to say things like "I won't say how much it cost because others told me not too" comes across a bit odd.

1. I am a bit odd: I can't deny it, especially in my communication style.
    2. You'd think I'd learn: apply more filters, restrain myself, not be as open with what I'm thinking.
    3. I do try to implement those pieces of advice I get to not say certain things: about playing the "poor card," referring to Hoosier Armory, referring to the cost of a gun or sale of it and other bits of oddity that are mine.
    4. In all honesty (there I go again), it probably is my way of humorously sharing my irritation of being told what I can and can't say on an internet forum, where some people are full of such nonsense, yet I get called b/c of my idiosyncrasies of dry humor and my way of having all matter of fun.

Back to the point. Getting training is great, and some of it will certainly carry over, however, as you already seem to know, it seems counter productive to train (especially a formal training class) with a different gun/setup than you carry, especially one this drastically different. That said, I understand some courses don't allow certain type of holsters, etc so you have to make a choice about trs, I just don't get undertaking a training class which such a radically different setup (using a semi auto when one's most regular carry gun is a revolver, etc).

5. I carry both, and more recently I have carried a semi-automatic more than my revolver b/c of my overcoming my reluctance of a semi-auto.
    6. My experience with the S/W .380, 9mm, .45acp and the Glock 42, 43 and 26 have been instrumental in that journey.
    7. Therefore, using a semi-auto for formal training is consistent with my need.

Not trying to "spank" you on this. It's entirely up to you. I just don't personally understand it. If one of the trainers or folks more versed than me offers a reasonable counter point on this, I'm open to it.

8. I don't mind your comments at all. They are balanced and insightful and come from decades more experience than mine.
    9. You are making a point that is entirely consistent with what I read and been told in/during training, and I thank you for taking the time.
    10. Your comments have no bearing or likeness in the remarks I was referring to by those who snipe away and are not trying to be genuine and helpful.

My instructor does a Revolvers only class from time to time.

Central Indiana Firearms Training - Defensive Shooting Concepts

11. Thanks for the tip!

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Price is definitely not the determinant of reliability. I've seen $1000+ Kimbers that wouldn't run. But I'm not going to whimper about a few hundred if I see the more expensive pistol as a better option for a lifesaving tool. The Shield is a fine small defensive pistol and would be my choice if the P365 was not available and I wanted something small in 9mm. But the considerations are reliability, size, shootability, capacity and general utility as a self-defense weapon. Cost is not a factor.

I agree.
    I was just coming from the standpoint where I see people sink a HUGE amount of money into a defensive pistol that's FAR beyond having a reliable pistol that will do the job just fine.
    Sure, it's their right to spend as much money on a defensive handgun as they choose and I would never stand in their way.

I'm only saying that one should consider that if they ever have to use that very expensive pistol for self defense, it will be taken by the police and it will likely be a VERY long time til they ever see it again (if ever).
    And they will be out a LOT of money that may be difficult to come up with again on another hugely expensive pistol to replace it.

I agree with you about the Shield.
    When I need a concealable pocket pistol, I carry a 9mm Shield with a thumb safety.

It's VERY reliable in that I've fired hundreds of rounds through it and it's never malfunctioned in any way.
    I ALSO have another one in case I have to use it for self defense and the police take it.
    Since I only paid about $330 new for each of them, the BITE will be a lot less financially, and I STILL have a reliable pistol.

Now on the flip side, I would hate to lose my full sized carry pistol, a Sig P229 .357Sig which I have a lot more money in, and it would really BITE a lot more financially to have to replace it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Picked up another Sig P365.
    Been waiting for the prices to come down and get the right package deal used.
    Almost bought a couple before this but a member here had one for sale with 4 mags (10 rd x2 & 12 rd x2) with a fitted IWB holster with a safety, like I wanted.

I'll have to see how it shoots as opposed to the Sig 938 & the Kahr CT that I have.

I think the 938 will be gone since it is the same size as the 365, but I can grip it better: we'll see what the range shows about the shooting.
    Range pic. at 21'
    bwDuygQ.jpg

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I have a Grayguns laser stippled standard frame module for my P365 but since I almost always holster carry (either OWB/IWB) I wanted to try an XL grip. I ordered an XL frame module from Grayguns and got it in recently and it really makes the P365 feel much better to me without adding too much length. I can carry the 12rd mags with just the base plate on without the mag extension.

7qU3BXd.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    drillsgt, did buying the XL frame module give you a change in just the height of .5"?
    If so, what advantage is that over a the finger extension an a 12 round mag?
    Just curious.

ilGraRW.jpg

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I'm curious what you consider "formal training"? I won't speak about anyone else but I find when I don't train/compete regularly the limited skills I have diminish drastically. It would be extremely difficult for me to be proficient with three different guns carried in different locations. Maybe my expectations for myself and my personal skills is too high but I would feel completely unprepared switching between three firearms that are so different. I'm not dogging you just giving you my two cents. There's a lot on the line when you start sending rounds downrange and I don't think anyone can be too prepared.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT]

“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    drillsgt, did buying the XL frame module give you a change in just the height of .5"?
    If so, what advantage is that over a the finger extension an a 12 round mag?
    Just curious.

It really doesn't even feel like .5 inch. I just don't like short frames with mag extensions, sometimes the heel of your hand can get in the way of a mag releasing. I really never noticed it with the 365 but with the XL I can basically get a full grip and not worry about it.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have a Grayguns laser stippled standard frame module for my P365 but since I almost always holster carry (either OWB/IWB) I wanted to try an XL grip. I ordered an XL frame module from Grayguns and got it in recently and it really makes the P365 feel much better to me without adding too much length. I can carry the 12rd mags with just the base plate on without the mag extension.

7qU3BXd.jpg

Both of those grip modules look pretty nice. Just need to convince myself to pay as much premium over the OEM grip modules as Gray Guns wants for theirs.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    If so, what advantage is that over a the finger extension an a 12 round mag? Just curious.

The height of the XL frame is the same as the height with the 12 round mag with finger extension in the normal frame. There is no .5" difference.

Your picture shows the 10 round mag with pinky extension, not the 12 round mag.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    P365 standard frame with 12 round mag on the left.
    P365XL on the right.

P365a.jpg

They are practically the same height, but the grip shape is a tad different at the magwell. The 12 round mag with extension in the standard frame may even be a hair taller than the XL, due to the differences in baseplate configuration between the two. The standard frame with a 12 round mag is a straight grip and will conceal ever so slightly better than an XL frame, which is flared at the bottom. The XL grip does give a bit more solid feel in the hand, owing to the lack of transition between the short frame and grip extension and the flared magwell. I've carried each in my pocket without issue, but the flared magwell does print a little more, depending on which pants I am wearing.

P365b.jpg

Difference in baseplate configuration for the 12 round mag with extension in the standard frame (left) and the 12 round mag with flush baseplate in the XL (right).

P365c.jpg

Standard frame with 12 round mag on the left. (With pinky extension)
    XL frame with 12 round mag on the right.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    The height of the XL frame is the same as the height with the 12 round mag with finger extension in the normal frame. There is no .5" difference.

Your picture shows the 10 round mag with pinky extension, not the 12 round mag.

Good catch, I responded to the picture not the mag for mag comparison.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Both of those grip modules look pretty nice. Just need to convince myself to pay as much premium over the OEM grip modules as Gray Guns wants for theirs.

They are a bit pricey but I just wanted to dress them up a little, since this was likely a gun I was going to keep I didn't mind spending a little on it. I'm going to get the slide cerakoted in a dark grey eventually.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    They are a bit pricey but I just wanted to dress them up a little, since this was likely a gun I was going to keep I didn't mind spending a little on it. I'm going to get the slide cerakoted in a dark grey eventually.

Agreed, they look really nice. Do the ergos or the texture of the GrayGuns modules make much of a different feel? Not talking the jump to XL, but just the differences in OEM and GG module.

Thanks in advance

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Agreed, they look really nice. Do the ergos or the texture of the GrayGuns modules make much of a different feel? Not talking the jump to XL, but just the differences in OEM and GG module.

Thanks in advance

They do feel a little more 'grippy' but I don't know if you'd really notice while shooting.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I love glocks. But the p365 pretty much replaced my 43 and 42. I still have a 43. If I was gonna move up to the XL though I'd rather have my 43x with the shield arms 15 rd mag.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom